Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1968 was the zenith of the buying power that wage earners possessed in the United States. We can cut through the confusion (inflation, etc., etc.) by going directly to the heart of this subject. The U.S. dollar had been tied to the gold standard for quite some time. After WWII the intelligence dept. of the O.S.S. (had done a great job up till then) was dismantled and the C.I.A. was built to supposedly deal with the 'Cold War' with the Communists. After the people in the shadows failed to become rich with a protracted 'Korean Conflict' focus was placed further south in Viet Nam. We all probably know now of the steps taken to get us involved in that 'conflict'. When in a protracted war, a great deal of money is consumed, and those countries possessing our dollars began cashing them in ...heavily. To keep the money-train going, a shadow organization called the Basel Group (a European institution) met a couple of times with then President Nixon in 1971. Shortly after that he took the United States off of the gold standard and we went to fiat money...a currency with no physical backing. This was a dream of the super-rich and we are seeing the ugliness of it today. Even though it took a number of years, today, if our creditors 'called our loans' the physical land mass of the U.S.A. and all it's assets, would not be enough to cover the debt/s with them.

As a wage earner, it should be important to know where you now stand......vs......where you should be standing. At the zenith point (1968) $1.00 had the buying power of today's $6.77 In 1968 $4.00 per hour created a Lower Middle Class. Let this sink in. For companies are today gleefully advertising jobs paying $9.00 to $12.00 per hour. If your really skilled you may even be paid $14.00 to $16.00 per hr.

So, at your next job evaluation, be prepared to educate your supervisor of this concerning your wage.

DollarTimes.com | Inflation Calculator

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
As someone who employs others and regularly takes on new hires:

If I advertise for a $9.00 an hour position, and someone comes in and tells me about how wages were different in the past and how this should affect their pay, I will first thank them for the history lessen, then gracefully show them the way to the door.

Upvote 0