✟17,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi, it's my first post here.

I come from a Roman Catholic background and have been learning about the Anglican church and it feels like the place for me. Could someone explain the steps I can take to convert successfully? Also, I had a few other questions I am hoping someone can answer.
1. Do Anglicans believe in the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Christ the King?
2. Do Anglicans believe that Christ appeared to some of the saints?
3. Do Anglicans believe in Marian apparitions and praying the hail mary/ rosary?
4. Do Anglicans have the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament?
5. What version of the bible is standard in the Church of England?
6. How can I be a traditional Anglican and not support gay marriage, abortion, female holy orders, and other common heresies? I have heard where I live (USA) that there are barely any traditional Anglicans left in the Episcopal Church as most of them are liberals and SJWs who are always committing the sin of heresy while claiming to be a Christian
Forgive me if my questions are stupid, I'm new :grin: Any responses would be very much appreciated.

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

I come from a Roman Catholic background and have been learning about the Anglican church and it feels like the place for me. Could someone explain the steps I can take to convert successfully? Also, I had a few other questions I am hoping someone can answer.
Never heard of the Sared Heart of Jesus. We have a Sunday called Christ the King.
We believe what it says in the bible
3. Do Anglicans believe in Marian apparitions and praying the hail mary/ rosary?
Generally not
Generally not
We use NIV. The RSV and AV are also used. People are free to use whichever version they like in private study.
6. How can I be a traditional Anglican and not support gay marriage, abortion, female holy orders, and other common heresies? I have heard where I live (USA) that there are barely any traditional Anglicans left in the Episcopal Church as most of them are liberals and SJWs who are always committing the sin of heresy while claiming to be a Christian

Don't dwell on these things and don't judge.

Welcome to STR

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Welcome! Your questions are very good ones.

The answers to most of the items in questions #1-3 is: Some Anglicans do, and some don't. The Sacred Heart is not part of most Anglicans' devotional life, I think, but neither is it objectionable. Christ the King Sunday is celebrated on the last Sunday before Advent in the Episcopal Church's calendar. You are free to believe or disbelieve in any particular appearance of Jesus or Mary, based on your evaluation of the evidence. Some Anglicans pray the rosary, though probably a minority.

The adoration of the Sacrament is not normally part of our devotional life. You will, however, often find a place in churches where reserved Sacrament is kept, with a candle lit nearby.

I'll let one of our English members answer about the Bible translations used by the Church of England. A list of 14 translations approved for reading in Episcopal Churches in the US appears here: https://www.episcopalchurch.org/page/bible

Opinion is divided in the Episcopal Church on the issues you mention in question #6. Ordination of women is less controversial in the denomination now than it was 40 years ago, but some opposition still remains. The other issues still have people with strong feelings on both sides. On these kinds of issues, I'll say this: To be in the Episcopal Church is to worship with people who disagree with you. We are different from the Catholic Church in this way. We permit, even encourage, diversity of thought on many issues. In my parish, for example, you might see a gay couple at the altar rail kneeling next to a person who opposes same sex marriage. You might see a member of the military kneeling next to a pacifist. We try to listen to each other, and learn from each other.

Different parishes tend to be more conservative or more liberal in their views, and closer to or farther from Roman Catholic forms of worship. You might seek out a parish that is conservative, or Anglo-Catholic, or both.

If you find you cannot live with a denomination that permits a large number of liberals in its midst, you might also consider one of the groups that broke away from the Episcopal Church during the last century, such as the Anglican Church in North America. There are a few traditionalist members in this forum who can tell you more about that option.

I wish you blessings in your journey.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Could someone explain the steps I can take to convert successfully?
I'm assuming you were baptized and confirmed in the Catholic Church. Officially, you'll be received by a bishop. The words are "We recognize you as a member of the one holy catholic and apostolic Church, and we receive you into the fellowship of this Communion." It's similar to confirmation, except that you were already confirmed in your previous church, so you're received instead.

Before you're received, many churches will offer a series of classes for people who want to learn more about Anglicanism. These classes generally aren't mandatory, but they're a good way to learn about the church you're planning to join. I found them valuable when I joined the Episcopal Church.

Upvote 0

Dallas Rivera

Oct 21, 2017
Sacramento
✟17,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm assuming you were baptized and confirmed in the Catholic Church. Officially, you'll be received by a bishop. The words are "We recognize you as a member of the one holy catholic and apostolic Church, and we receive you into the fellowship of this Communion." It's similar to confirmation, except that you were already confirmed in your previous church, so you're received instead.

Before you're received, many churches will offer a series of classes for people who want to learn more about Anglicanism. These classes generally aren't mandatory, but they're a good way to learn about the church you're planning to join. I found them valuable when I joined the Episcopal Church.
I was baptized and confirmed in the RCC, however, my dad who isn't baptized into any church wants to be baptized in the Episcopal church. Would he have to take Episcopal classes as you mentioned?

Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was baptized and confirmed in the RCC, however, my dad who isn't baptized into any church wants to be baptized in the Episcopal church. Would he have to take Episcopal classes as you mentioned?
How wonderful that your father wants to be baptized! I'd recommend that your father talk to your parish priest. The priest will probably want to talk to him about the commitment he's making in baptism. The priest may suggest some reading, or some classes, or may simply have some good conversations with him.

Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Generally there would be some kind of catechesis for an adult seeking baptism. It would probably include whatever is in the classes for converts from another denomination, but also other material suited to someone making a Christian commitment for the first time. But that will very much be at the discretion of the priest he approaches.

You've had good answers from others; the only other thing I'd add is that while of course you're welcome in this forum, it'd be good Anglican form not to accuse those of us who disagree with you on some things of "heresy." PloverWing is right; to be Anglican is to pray, share fellowship and undertake mission with those with whom you profoundly disagree, and that happens in here as much as in real life.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Forgive me if my questions are stupid, I'm new :grin: Any responses would be very much appreciated.

Just want to say hello and welcome to CF!

I'm not Anglican, so I won't even attempt most of those answers. I did want to mention that when I was investigating denominations and seeking a church home, I briefly worshipped with a Continuing Anglican parish that seems to agree with some of the concerns you mentioned. In case that helps you. I think they are generally pretty rare though, but I thought I'd mention that in case it helps. There are probably other more conservative Anglican groups as well. It used to be that the Anglican Church was where the bishop would bless Orthodox to attend if they moved to an area with no Orthodox parish. :)

Again, welcome to CF! :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Dallas. Most of those items are NOT accepted by most Anglicans but there are Anglicans who do.

As for finding a traditional church, I see from your public profile that you are in Sacramento (Cali I assume). If not, let me know. I will try to check this out for you.

LATER EDIT:

Dallas, with a little poking around online, I found a number of Anglican churches in what I think is your area and I think all will meet your preferences. I am confident that you will be able to find a number of parishes to choose from. Go to Wikipedia, for starters, and look at "Continuing Anglican movement" and then also check into "Anglican Church in North America." Feel free to get back to me if you have more specific questions after you've looked at what's available online.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to echo what Paidiske has said about accusing Anglicans of heresy, etc.

We are an Orthodox Church and none of what 99% of Anglicans do or believe is heresy. We are, however, not an authoritarian church, so have free will to make up our own minds about beliefs and practices. We do this in a process called discipleship.

We read what it says in the bible, and with teaching from our learned clergy and lay people, in the power of the Holy Spirit, learn how to apply scriptural truths to our lives in the 21st century. Everything is up for debate, and we are active participants in discipleship.

Some of the things you mentioned, such as Marian apparitions are not part of established Anglicanism because they are not in the bible. Others, such as adoration or sacrament are excluded in our 39 Articles of Faith.

We are a broad church. Our common heritage in the Church of England means that Anglicanism ministers to the full breadth of the orthodox Christian faith. In England the Church of England has a duty to meet the needs of all parishioners, regardless of their background or churchmanship.

There are lots of areas of our practice of faith that annoy us but are "petty differences". We ask God to help us work through these. We can visit churches and see all the things we disapprove of, and make these petty things disproportionatly huge in comparison with all the good things the fellowship has to offer.

At the end of the day, if you find a perfect church, don't go, as you will surely spoil it.

Upvote 0

Dallas Rivera

Oct 21, 2017
Sacramento
✟17,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi, Dallas. Most of those items are NOT accepted by most Anglicans but there are Anglicans who do.

As for finding a traditional church, I see from your public profile that you are in Sacramento (Cali I assume). If not, let me know. I will try to check this out for you.

LATER EDIT:

Dallas, with a little poking around online, I found a number of Anglican churches in what I think is your area and I think all will meet your preferences. I am confident that you will be able to find a number of parishes to choose from. Go to Wikipedia, for starters, and look at "Continuing Anglican movement" and then also check into "Anglican Church in North America." Feel free to get back to me if you have more specific questions after you've looked at what's available online.
Thank you for your detailed answer. I checked out the wiki article and the ANCA and both sites were extremely informative. You mentioned that you think some of the churches near me (Sac CA) will meet my traditionalist preference, how can you tell? Also, do you know of any good Anglican apologists online? Thank you once more.

Upvote 0

Dallas Rivera

Oct 21, 2017
Sacramento
✟17,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'd like to echo what Paidiske has said about accusing Anglicans of heresy, etc.

We are an Orthodox Church and none of what 99% of Anglicans do or believe is heresy. We are, however, not an authoritarian church, so have free will to make up our own minds about beliefs and practices. We do this in a process called discipleship.

We read what it says in the bible, and with teaching from our learned clergy and lay people, in the power of the Holy Spirit, learn how to apply scriptural truths to our lives in the 21st century. Everything is up for debate, and we are active participants in discipleship.

Some of the things you mentioned, such as Marian apparitions are not part of established Anglicanism because they are not in the bible. Others, such as adoration or sacrament are excluded in our 39 Articles of Faith.

We are a broad church. Our common heritage in the Church of England means that Anglicanism ministers to the full breadth of the orthodox Christian faith. In England the Church of England has a duty to meet the needs of all parishioners, regardless of their background or churchmanship.

There are lots of areas of our practice of faith that annoy us but are "petty differences". We ask God to help us work through these. We can visit churches and see all the things we disapprove of, and make these petty things disproportionatly huge in comparison with all the good things the fellowship has to offer.

At the end of the day, if you find a perfect church, don't go, as you will surely spoil it.

Please pardon my misunderstanding and error. I was trained to denounce anything the Catholic church didn't support as heresy. I'm trying to be patient with others (and myself) about topics like gay marriage and female holy orders I have literally called stupid for years. What do you mean by "At the end of the day, if you find a perfect church, don't go, as you will surely spoil it"?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your detailed answer. I checked out the wiki article and the ANCA and both sites were extremely informative. You mentioned that you think some of the churches near me (Sac CA) will meet my traditionalist preference, how can you tell?
In your first post here, you made reference to two different matters that concern and, perhaps, put you off. The one was a series of religious beliefs that are associated, in Anglicanism, with a faction that's usually called Anglo-Catholic. These Anglicans are heavily influenced by Roman Catholic doctrine ad practice and generally believe in the Marian apparitions as well as the doctrines of the Immaculate Conception and the bodily Assumption of the Virgin into heaven, Solemn Benediction of the reserved host, Purgatory, praying to the saints, etc. The other concerned all that surrounds SJWs, so we both know what you mean about that.

So, when you say "traditionalist Anglicans" I think you may be referring to both of these sets of beliefs...or perhaps only the second of them with the first of them being not settled yet in your mind.

If so, the answer to your question is not as difficult as might be thought. When it comes to Anglo-Catholicism, these are the Continuing Anglican churches that lean or are decidedly that way--the Anglican Catholic Church and the Anglican Province of Christ the King. The Anglican Province of America and the Anglican Church in America are mixed, while the United Episcopal Church of North America is not of that profession. It has no parishes in California, however. There are others, of course, but these are the best known Continuing church bodies.

The Anglican Church in North America is much newer and includes five former dioceses of the Episcopal Church, including one in central California. It is not considered to be a Continuing church because it has women priests and is more doctrinally diverse. In fact, the ACNA split from the Episcopal Church essentially over one issue--homosexual priests, same sex marriages and so on which they vigorously oppose.

So that's something about the doctrinal and worship side of the matter. The other concerns social activism about which you made your views clear. You asked how I could know if any of these churches would be traditionalist in that sense. I know because that is almost completely missing from any of them--the Continuing churches, whether Anglo-Catholic or not, and the ACNA as well. BUT, as I always say to anyone who comes asking about any denomination, not just Anglicans, you have to be prepared to study up on their websites and so on and make visits, because there are always exceptions, no matter what family of churches we're talking about.

Let me know if you have more to ask.

Also, do you know of any good Anglican apologists online? Thank you once more.
There are a number online but I'd have to give this some thought before answering.

Reactions: Dallas Rivera
Upvote 0

Dallas Rivera

Oct 21, 2017
Sacramento
✟17,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
In your first post here, you made reference to two different matters that concern and, perhaps, put you off. The one was a series of religious beliefs that are associated, in Anglicanism, with a faction that's usually called Anglo-Catholic. These Anglicans are heavily influenced by Roman Catholic doctrine ad practice and generally believe in the Marian apparitions as well as the doctrines of the Immaculate Conception and the bodily Assumption of the Virgin into heaven, Solemn Benediction of the reserved host, Purgatory, praying to the saints, etc. The other concerned all that surrounds SJWs, so we both know what you mean about that.

So, when you say "traditionalist Anglicans" I think you may be referring to both of these sets of beliefs...or perhaps only the second of them with the first of them being not settled yet in your mind.

If so, the answer to your question is not as difficult as might be thought. When it comes to Anglo-Catholicism, these are the Continuing Anglican churches that lean or are decidedly that way--the Anglican Catholic Church and the Anglican Province of Christ the King. The Anglican Province of America and the Anglican Church in America are mixed, while the United Episcopal Church of North America is not of that profession. It has no parishes in California, however. There are others, of course, but these are the best known Continuing church bodies.

The Anglican Church in North America is much newer and includes five former dioceses of the Episcopal Church, including one in central California. It is not considered to be a Continuing church because it has women priests and is more doctrinally diverse. In fact, the ACNA split from the Episcopal Church essentially over one issue--homosexual priests, same sex marriages and so on which they vigorously oppose.

So that's something about the doctrinal and worship side of the matter. The other concerns social activism about which you made your views clear. You asked how I could know if any of these churches would be traditionalist in that sense. I know because that is almost completely missing from any of them--the Continuing churches, whether Anglo-Catholic or not, and the ACNA as well. BUT, as I always say to anyone who comes asking about any denomination, not just Anglicans, you have to be prepared to study up on their websites and so on and make visits, because there are always exceptions, no matter what family of churches we're talking about.

Let me know if you have more to ask.

There are a number online but I'd have to give this some thought before answering.
Thanks! It sounds like my beliefs would match with the Anglican Church in North America.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks! It sounds like my beliefs would match with the Anglican Church in North America.
Great. I think you would be in the ACNA's Diocese of San Joachin, which was formerly a diocese of The Episcopal Church. Take a look at their website: Anglican Diocese of San Joaquin

I see that there is a church of theirs just south of Sacramento and one NE of the city.

Now...there is one point I want you to be aware of as you investigate. I said that none of these Anglican churches, Continuers or ACNA, are into SJW type stuff, BUT if there is one that is slightly into social issues and stands, it's the ACNA. See on that website the statements about DACA and the shootings in Las Vegas. These are mild, to be sure, and I'm not criticizing or associating that with SJW activism at all, but the other churches don't go even that far, being almost completely content to stick to traditional religious matters.

Upvote 0