How to prove that GOD exists from a scientific point of view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,929.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
A universe with conscious beings is a better place than one without.
Not quite .. More like:

'A universe without conscious beings, is an untestable belief',
and therefore we can conclude that:
'One without conscious beings, would be anything that believer so chooses'.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Not quite .. More like:

'A universe without conscious beings, is an untestable belief',
and therefore we can conclude that:
'One without conscious beings, would be anything that believer so chooses'.
It needn't be a complete 'anything goes' free-for-all. Given what we can observe of our universe, we can make reasonable inferences about what it was like before conscious beings, and make reasonable inferences about what other universes with the same or similar physical laws might be like. Experience suggests that scientifically informed guesswork (hypothesis) is more productive (predictive) than uninformed guesswork.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,929.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
It needn't be a complete 'anything goes' free-for-all. Given what we can observe of our universe, we can make reasonable inferences about what it was like before conscious beings, and make reasonable inferences about what other universes with the same or similar physical laws might be like. Experience suggests that scientifically informed guesswork (hypothesis) is more productive (predictive) than uninformed guesswork.
Even a reasoned inference, or a testable prediction, based on an already well tested theory, can easily still be held as being true. (I see this happening all the time around these parts).

Where an inference, or a testable prediction, is untested, its held as a kind of untested, but testable, belief.
Science's predictions are our best bets. They should never be held as being true though .. otherwise its not science .. its philosophy (or something else).
That they might be clearly constrained, (in order for them to be testable), doesn't change their uncertain nature .. they are neither true or false. Even a likely outcome is not a sure bet.

PS: All this is beside the point that 'A universe without conscious beings, is an untestable belief', because .. well .. its untestable in the first place .. no matter the reasoning.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
PS: All this is beside the point that 'A universe without conscious beings, is an untestable belief', because .. well .. its untestable in the first place .. no matter the reasoning.
You can believe, but it doesn't have to be a belief - in science, it's a hypothesis - a prediction from current knowledge/understanding.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
A universe with conscious beings is a better place than one without. One without conscious beings would be meaningless.
I agree that it's different. But better is subjective.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do you define "better" here?
I think 'better' would be that there was meaning and the universe what not just a cold, meaningless place. I think its better in a number of ways. That the universe can produce intelligent conscious life is on another level information wise.

Its a long way down the evolutionary path and for better or worse we have developed tech and knowledge which can actually change the world. Unfortunately that is not always for the better.

But I don't think that negates the amazing feat of human life happening in the first place and its worth as opposed to never existing. The point is when it comes to conscious beings existing or not 'better' is always going to equate to a quality experience as opposed to no experience at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree that it's different. But better is subjective.
Yeah maybe but I tend to disagree that 'subjective' equals unreliable and arbitrary as far as what reality means. I think its about quantity and quality and seeing things through one prism will distort reality.

The fact that we can say and know "it would be better" for us to be around is testament to that. I don't think we could ever deny existence would be better without our experiences of love, wonder and awe at the cosmos because we have already experienced this and it would be hard to give up.

Whether you call it better or not its certainly has a quality about it as this is the very nature of conscious experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,997.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think 'better' would be that there was meaning and the universe what not just a cold, meaningless place. I think its better in a number of ways. That the universe can produce intelligent conscious life is on another level information wise.

Its a long way down the evolutionary path and for better or worse we have developed tech and knowledge which can actually change the world. Unfortunately that is not always for the better.

But I don't think that negates the amazing feat of human life happening in the first place and its worth as opposed to never existing. The point is when it comes to conscious beings existing or not 'better' is always going to equate to a quality experience as opposed to no experience at all.

Why is a universe with humans and meaning "better" than a universe without them?

And you said, "That the universe can produce intelligent conscious life is on another level information wise." In that sentence, what do you mean by "information"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why is a universe with humans and meaning "better" than a universe without them?
Why is a swimming pool with humans better than a swimming pool with them?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,929.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Hmm .. dunno .. maybe the swimming pool with humans doesn't necessarily see themselves as distinct from the other humans in it, and so the 'us' and 'them' mentality may not be inevitable(?)

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,929.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
And you said, "That the universe can produce intelligent conscious life is on another level information wise." In that sentence, what do you mean by "information"?
.. also, what is implied by 'level' and where did that implication come from?

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,958.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Information:
Gotcha word meaning " therefore god"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,997.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I'm sorry, where did you show that a swimming pool with humans in it was better?

Establish that it IS better first, then we can work on the WHY.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry, where did you show that a swimming pool with humans in it was better?

Establish that it IS better first, then we can work on the WHY.
"Why is a swimming pool with humans better than a swimming pool with them?"
What does this actually mean unless it's a typo and should read "Why is a swimming pool with humans better than a swimming pool without them?"

If this is what is meant I'd much prefer an empty swimming pool given the human propensity of leaving nasty waste products in bodies of water.:tired:

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,958.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Why is a swimming pool with humans better than a swimming pool with them?"
What does this actually mean unless it's a typo and should read "Why is a swimming pool with humans better than a swimming pool without them?"

If this is what is meant I'd much prefer an empty swimming pool given the human propensity of leaving nasty waste products in bodies of water.:tired:
What if it's the cheerleaders for the Dallas cowboys

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,929.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Av1611VET said:
Kylie said:
At the extreme risk of even trying to explain @AV1611VET style 'reasoning', I'll have a wild guess and propose that he might be attempting to point out that from his viewpoint, there is no universe without humans in it, and therefore, he's recast the last phrase of Kylie's question to correct for that(?)

Ie: from:
- 'better than a universe (or swimming pool) without them' to;
- 'better than a universe (or swimming pool) with them'
which is a nonsensical question .. hence a possible setup for one of his 'QEDs' .. maybe(?)
.. I'm prepared to be completely wrong ... Over to him to explain.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.