Dec 24, 2005
✟15,332.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
"Dave, would you consider yourself religious?"
No....."Are you a Christian"?
I would venture to say most of America would say they were christians- at least that's what the survey's say. Obviously, most of them have no idea of what a christian is and are not christian.
Listen to what he/she has to say. People actually do have reasons for what they believe. Then I usually tell them why I am a Christian. "I'm a Christian because of Gods amazing love for me, not because I am a sinner, not because I'm worried about going to hell, but because God created me I appreciate the fact that I'm even alive, and for that God deserves my worship. I honor God by having a relationship with His son Jesus Christ."

No....NEVER even bring up the word "SIN", for some unbelievers don't even believe in sin. I have NEVER brought up the word "SIN"....... BUT if they ASK?.....I would add......"all of my sin's have been removed by what the Lord has done for me (SIN IS NEVER THE ISSUE), All I needed to do was believe, and in believing, I become a member of His family, His Royal family, for forever. He did it for me, I did nothing! (Keep work's out of it all together) It's what God does, not what I do. This is His gift to all mankind". Keep the point DIRECTED ON the Lord, and off ourselves. We are emphasizing the gospel, not ourselves.

Not to mention sin at all is a great disservice and pretty disrespecting of Christ's sacrifice. Jesus Christ died on the cross because of sin...you'll also find most people don't realize exactly what sin is or what God considers sin. If they cannot understand why exactly Christ died on the cross and what for how are they ever supposed to truly repent?

Upvote 0

OttawaUk

Veteran
Mar 13, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
✟9,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, not to mention sin is not going to work.

Without mentioning sin, how can you explain repentence? If someone does not repent, are you saying they are still saved?

Faith in Christ can only come through a change in heart - turning from sin and turning to Christ.

OU

Upvote 0

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
Yo all

I can understand some people thinking mentioning sin or hell will do more damage than good.

You've heard alot about www.livingwaters.com and www.wayofthemaster.com etc so i'll draw out a quick picture so you'll understand that what we're doing is not 'hellfire' preaching.

On one end you got the fluffy gospel. "Jesus died for your sin, He loves you heaps, He's got a beautiful purpose and love for your life. He'll fix your life for you."

Big no no.

The other end of the scale is "You're a sinner! You're going to hell. God's wrath abides on you. You'll burn for eternity and there will be no hope."

also a big no no and i think this is what alot of people think we're doing. Not so.

We're in the middle ground. sharing the gospel the way Jesus did. We FIRST convince them of their sin against God by using the 10 commandments BEFORE we give them grace. This gospel is presented like this so that they will appreciate the cure God has so amazingly, lovingly given to us as a free gift. When you do it this way, hell, sin etc, is condemning but not the same way as hellfire preaching. It's like i'm saying to you "You just murdered that man (sinned against God). You're going away for a long time (hell is your punishment)." The consequence is reasonable and they will understand.

Please please don't share a watered down message. I've seen so many christians fall away from that. It's the smae with hellfire preaching, they become so scared they lack gratitude to God and it's heart wrenching. Finding that middle ground, you get a thankful, appreciative convert who praises God for all He has graciously done for them.

Upvote 0