Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
CandleLightSky said:
Those who don't serve God are Children of wrath and disobedience:

Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
(Ephesians 2:3)

Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
(Ephesians 5:6)

To become a child of God you must recieve Christ, in order to become a son you must recieve him as scripture says:

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
(John 1:12)

Those who follow after their own lusts have a Father in the devil himself and are by nature children of wrath:

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because..., he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
(John 8:44)

:amen:

Upvote 0

NateTheGate

Jan 3, 2006
Massachusetts
✟7,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that the best way to witness is to let them come to you. Wear God's love on your sleeve, they'll notice something different about you. People at school notice something about me, and some of them know it's because I'm a Christian, but I'm just waiting for people to ask me, "Why are you like that? What peace to you have that I don't?" and then I'll say "It's a peace that the world cannot give." and proceed to tell them that God works in my life in great ways and I love him for creating me and he loves me because he loves everyone, including them also. And then I'll tell them they can have the love and peace I have if they want. And then tell them that you do it by becoming a Christian, and I won't tell them how, I'll just let them ask me questions about it.
I've only successfully witnessed once, I haven't really tried much because I didn't do it before this summer when I dedicated my life to Christ. But the one person was going through a rough time. And she said she felt all alone and that no one loved her and no one understood. But I told her that God is there, God loves her, God cares, God knows, and God understand. And now she's growing into a good Christian. Randomly going up to people and witnessing to them I think would freak people out. I wait for the right moment and opportunity to witness. Sometimes I've misjudged the time I guess, and sometimes I've misjudged the person. There are some people who don't want to be witnessed to, but that doesn't mean we should give up. They may hate us (which is currently my situation with one person) but we still just show them love, and they'll want to know why we show them love while they hate us, and we'll tell them because we have a love that the world cannot give.

Upvote 0

hiumble1

Jan 18, 2005
NC
Visit site
✟16,102.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we always show love, even when persecuted.
we should speak his name in the morning, noon, and nighttime.
never relenting to reach out to those in need, even if they do not feel as though they are in need. A blind man could be walking towards a cliff and to his doom, do we wait for him to call out to us or do we go forth and speak of the terror that waits for him if continues on this path. If we go to a person in this situation, why wouldn't we go to people who might be walking towards an even greater perril, hell. For it once to die than the judgement, if it were not true, Jesus would not have spoke the words.

If a man lay dieng on the street corning from a gun shot wound and was at deaths door, do you wait and befriend that person until an appropriate time or do you reach out to that person and tell them what the NEED to hear, salvation could be right around the corner or forever out of reach. What do you say, what do you tell them, it can't be "God has a wonderful plan" because his life is just about over. Could we speak of God's love for him.... then what... he has yet to ask for forgiveness of his sins and reach out to Jesus, to call on his name..... wait, does he know what sin is? how do we explain what sin is.... lieing, stealing, adultry, lust, murder, hatred, blasphemy, idolotry, coveting, etc..... why would i do that he might hate me, cause he cant ask for forgiveness for something he doesn't realize he has done (just like when we say we are sorry to our wives because they are mad at us for something we did, it is meaningless until we know what we are sorry about). If you truely loved all, as Jesus told us to do, you reach out your hands to all and any who who would cross your path (the apostles did). Many have died in his name, persecuted, jailed, mocked ridiculed (explain the wonderful plan now) we were promised: temptation, tribulation, and persecution on this earth for we are no longer of this world. we must shake off the old and put on the new, we must take up arms with our brothers and sisters in Christ and Reach out to a lost world and save as many as we can, even if it is only a few.
He who does not gather with him scatters....
If you are ashamed of his name he will be ashamed of yours in heaven....
WAKE UP!!!! shake off this world.....
you say you dont know how to talk to strangers... there are some places that show biblical evangelism
www.wayofthemaster.com ministry: gives a way that is biblical like Jesus, apostles and many who came before us.

Dont let this day pass say something to at least ONE PERSON..... even it is only a gospel tract.... [so you may hear the words: well done good and faithful servant]

Upvote 0

GodsNhilist

Dec 16, 2005
nevermind
✟706.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-NDP
LuminousFive said:
First and foremost, this post is not meant to offend anyone, it is meant to give you a different perspective.

I have been witnessed to in many different ways, from people holding up signs of pictures of "hell" to being shouted at and being told I'm a sinner and need to repent or risk eternal damnation, to the now very popular list of questions "have you ever stolen, have you ever lied... etc". I am here to tell you that almost all of these methods turn people off. Let me tell you what goes through the mind of the average person who is approached by one of these "you are a sinner" method witnesses... "Oh crap, now I have to deal with this idiot" They are turned off from the begining.

Being a witness is not so simple that you can walk up to someone, ask/tell them that they are a sinner, tell them that god will forgive them and move on... The average person thinks of this as a minor inturruption in their day.

Some guidelines...first and foremost stop telling people they are sinners. How would you like it if someone walked up to you and told you that you are a terrible person? Telling people that they are inherently bad people right off the bat is a great way to make them tune out to everything you say after that. An alternative? Walk up to someone and see if you can ask them a few questions...

"Hi I'm John, Would you mind if I asked you a few questions?"
"Sure"
"First, Whats your name?"
"Dave"
"Nice to meet you Dave"
"Dave, would you consider yourself religious?"

Now here is where you actually have to start using your brain...

"No, I'm an athiest, or yes I'm Hindu (or whatever)?"
"Would you mind telling me a little about why you don't believe in God?/Why you believe in your religion?"
"Sure, I dont believe in god because of 'X'"

Listen to what he/she has to say. People actually do have reasons for what they believe. Then I usually tell them why I am a Christian. "I'm a Christian because of Gods amazing love for me, not because I am a sinner, not because I'm worried about going to hell, but because God created me I appreciate the fact that I'm even alive, and for that God deserves my worship. I honor God by having a relationship with His son Jesus Christ."

Then I follow that by asking them if there is anything really tough going on in their life.

"Dave, is there anything going on in your life that is really tough to deal with? Stress from work, an upcoming test at school, a girlfriend problem, because I would like to pray for you."
"Right now?"
"If you want, or if not I can pray for you later."
"Well, I don't think so.../Yeah work problems (or whatever)"

Either pray for him, or If he isn't interested tell him that it was really nice talking to him and you hope he has a good day.

Voila! You have just witnessed to someone without turning them off to God. You didn't even have to call him a sinner.

The essence of God is his love. Grace is important. There is no doubt about that, but what people need is to see that God loves them and wants them. Get people thinking about Jesus, let them see God's amazing love in you, and repentance will follow. Tell people about God's love and perfection and they will soon realize their own shortcomings and imperfections.

Love in Christ,
John

This is great advise. Good post.

Upvote 0

elfgnome

Jul 28, 2005
Bavaria, Germany
✟7,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is something that I found in a health textbook, of all places, but it really does apply to witnessing. To avoid a conflict, or turning someone off to what you are saying, be sure that you use "I" phrases, instead of "you" phrases. For example "I believe that God loves me because..." instead of "You're a sinner".

Upvote 0

clonenomore

I will be a Clone No More
Feb 1, 2004
Northwest, GA
✟15,593.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
CandleLightSky said:
Those who don't serve God are Children of wrath and disobedience:

Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
(Ephesians 2:3)

Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
(Ephesians 5:6)

To become a child of God you must recieve Christ, in order to become a son you must recieve him as scripture says:

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
(John 1:12)

Those who follow after their own lusts have a Father in the devil himself and are by nature children of wrath:

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because..., he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
(John 8:44)

I will agree on one point: "Those who don't serve God are Children of wrath and disobedience". Yes, they are. However, that does not mean that they are not God's children. My son makes me angry when he misbehaves, but he is still my kid. That's how we are with God.

I will say it again, and I firmly believe this -- we are ALL God's children. Again, I'm not trying to start an argument, but I am really being convicted over this. Look again at the Jonah 4:11. God is telling Jonah, "Dude. Why shouldn't I love those people over there in Ninevah? They are mine after all." So even the Ninevites who worshipped many gods were considered to be God's children, and therefore worth saving.

Let's take this a step further (I'm started now) -- because we are ALL God's children, we are each related to the other. So that non-believer that we sometimes look down on -- he's our brother. That gay man with AIDS -- he's our brother. That hooker on the street addicted to cocaine -- she's our sister. That homeless man standing on the street asking for money -- he's our brother. That 16 year old girl with a baby -- she's our sister. Me, the guy with tattoos who listens to heavy metal music -- yep, I'm your brother (I know that's a scary thought for some folks!).

If these people are not worthy of Christ, then neither am I. If we aren't reaching out to these people in love -- if we are doing things to push them further from the Kingdom -- then we are saying that they aren't even good enough to receive a free gift -- the gift of true life from Jesus. And if they aren't worthy of that gift, am I?

We should be trying to get all of our brothers and sisters into the party that is the Kingdom of God. I love them all, and I don't want to see anyone perish -- especially when the key to get in is FREE!

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree. I still love each of you, but I will continue to follow my calling the way that God wants me to. I ask that each of you look deep to follow the calling that God lays on you.

Upvote 0

elfgnome

Jul 28, 2005
Bavaria, Germany
✟7,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
clonenomore said:
I will agree on one point: "Those who don't serve God are Children of wrath and disobedience". Yes, they are. However, that does not mean that they are not God's children. My son makes me angry when he misbehaves, but he is still my kid. That's how we are with God.

I will say it again, and I firmly believe this -- we are ALL God's children. Again, I'm not trying to start an argument, but I am really being convicted over this. Look again at the Jonah 4:11. God is telling Jonah, "Dude. Why shouldn't I love those people over there in Ninevah? They are mine after all." So even the Ninevites who worshipped many gods were considered to be God's children, and therefore worth saving.

Let's take this a step further (I'm started now) -- because we are ALL God's children, we are each related to the other. So that non-believer that we sometimes look down on -- he's our brother. That gay man with AIDS -- he's our brother. That hooker on the street addicted to cocaine -- she's our sister. That homeless man standing on the street asking for money -- he's our brother. That 16 year old girl with a baby -- she's our sister. Me, the guy with tattoos who listens to heavy metal music -- yep, I'm your brother (I know that's a scary thought for some folks!).

If these people are not worthy of Christ, then neither am I. If we aren't reaching out to these people in love -- if we are doing things to push them further from the Kingdom -- then we are saying that they aren't even good enough to receive a free gift -- the gift of true life from Jesus. And if they aren't worthy of that gift, am I?

We should be trying to get all of our brothers and sisters into the party that is the Kingdom of God. I love them all, and I don't want to see anyone perish -- especially when the key to get in is FREE!

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree. I still love each of you, but I will continue to follow my calling the way that God wants me to. I ask that each of you look deep to follow the calling that God lays on you.

Preach it, brotha. I agree on all points.

Upvote 0

Willo

Reformed Bapist
Apr 5, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland
Visit site
✟2,432.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
NateTheGate said:
I think that the best way to witness is to let them come to you.

When you go fishing, do you wait for the fish to come to you? Do you sit at home and wait for the fish to swim up to you? No, a fishermen would go chase the fish, and Jesus called us to be a fisher of men. We are to go to the lost, and witness to them.

Wear God's love on your sleeve, they'll notice something different about you.

The problem with this, is that I know unsaved people who act better than most professing Christians, remember they don't just look at you, but they look at the church as a whole.

People at school notice something about me, and some of them know it's because I'm a Christian, but I'm just waiting for people to ask me, "Why are you like that? What peace to you have that I don't?"

How ofte do people come up and ask you that?

Randomly going up to people and witnessing to them I think would freak people out.

Have you ever tried this? I mean it worked for the guys in the Bible.

I wait for the right moment and opportunity to witness.

The Bible says there are only 2 times to share your faith, and that is 'in season, and out of season'

I reconmend a great audio that helped me in witnessing, its called Soundly Saved, by Kirk Cameron (Left Behind movie, Growing pains)

You can download it free at: www.wayofthemaster.com

Upvote 0

Willo

Reformed Bapist
Apr 5, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland
Visit site
✟2,432.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
wizeone said:
To quote St Francis of assis... "Preach the gospel always, and if need be use words". In other words, your actions will always be far more powerful than the words you speak

Who is more correct, St Francis or the Bible?

Mark 16: Go preach (literally proclaim verbally)
Rom 10: How shall they hear without a preacher (People must hear the gospel)

Words, and actions should go together.

Actions without words is like saying "I believe that I know better than Jesus, when He said we should speak the gospel, I would rather do my method, that will work and that is live without speaking"

Come on, Jesus the master evangelist laid down how to witness, now lets start using the way He did.

Upvote 0

CandleLightSky

Dec 24, 2005
✟15,332.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Willo said:

Actions without words is like saying "I believe that I know better than Jesus, when He said we should speak the gospel, I would rather do my method, that will work and that is live without speaking"

Come on, Jesus the master evangelist laid down how to witness, now lets start using the way He did.

I vote Bible

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OttawaUk

Veteran
Mar 13, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
✟9,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree and disagree with the original poster, I think the best way is a compromise between hellfire sin preaching and God is love preaching. Neither get the proper message across.

People need to know God loves them but they also need to know that God is Just and will punish unrepentent sinners.

The way to do it is to show them God's love through Jesus Christ. That is why I agree with the 10 Commandments way of witnessing, which gives a foundation for the Holy Spirit to convict them of their sins. Their conscience will tell them that they are guilty and in trouble, but at that point, you show them God's Mercy and Love through Jesus Christ.

God loves you so much that even though you have sinned against Him, He has made the provision for your forgiveness through Jesus Christ. That way people know they are guilty, but at the same time, they have the means to be forgiven through repentence and trusting Jesus Christ as their Saviour!

A perfect expression of God's Justice and Love at the same time. One without the other does not convey the Gospel message.

God Bless,
OU

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
OttawaUk said:
I agree and disagree with the original poster, I think the best way is a compromise between hellfire sin preaching and God is love preaching. Neither get the proper message across.

People need to know God loves them but they also need to know that God is Just and will punish unrepentent sinners.

The way to do it is to show them God's love through Jesus Christ. That is why I agree with the 10 Commandments way of witnessing, which gives a foundation for the Holy Spirit to convict them of their sins. Their conscience will tell them that they are guilty and in trouble, but at that point, you show them God's Mercy and Love through Jesus Christ.

God loves you so much that even though you have sinned against Him, He has made the provision for your forgiveness through Jesus Christ. That way people know they are guilty, but at the same time, they have the means to be forgiven through repentence and trusting Jesus Christ as their Saviour!

A perfect expression of God's Justice and Love at the same time. One without the other does not convey the Gospel message.

God Bless,
OU

I like what you are saying, but I don't think the answer should be called a compromise. It is about following the spirit of the Lord and using the right approach for the right person.

Jude is claer: for most people you use compassion, for others you have to snatch them using fire.

Cheers,
|ZZ|

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Willo said:

Some pretty big assumptions, and wrong as well

I advocate that you will have more of a sucess with people if you take the time to get to know them, walk along side them, before you start speaking into thier life.

I do not advocate actions without words. However when you are walking qwith God, it should be abvious in how you live your life, and it will be abvious to others

When they know that you actually practice what you preach thats when you have their interest, thats when they say "Tell me more"

I remeber as a non christian, asking a couple of people one day if they were christians. They had never said anothing about christianity or religon at all. And it turned out that they were christians. They asked me what lead to me enquiring. To which I replied, "You just seemed to have something really different"

Words without actions are cheap, and will not have a lasting impact, when you practice what you preach, thats impacting

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I heard the most wonderful quote about relational evangelism: the hardest people to reach are your relations, why are you seeking to make more of them?

Read the book of Acts, evangelism is a big issue: healings, miracles, preaching of the Word. These are the hallmarks of Biblical evangelism.

Cheers,
|ZZ|

Upvote 0

clonenomore

I will be a Clone No More
Feb 1, 2004
Northwest, GA
✟15,593.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
wizeone said:
When they know that you actually practice what you preach thats when you have their interest, thats when they say "Tell me more"

I remeber as a non christian, asking a couple of people one day if they were christians. They had never said anothing about christianity or religon at all. And it turned out that they were christians. They asked me what lead to me enquiring. To which I replied, "You just seemed to have something really different"

Words without actions are cheap, and will not have a lasting impact, when you practice what you preach, thats impacting

What a great post!!!! You are right -- it takes BOTH action and words. It is through these that we build relationships, and it is through these relationships that we should mirror the love that Jesus has for us all.

You know, Jesus used the term "fishers of men" because the everyone knew about fishing back then. People fished for their livelihood -- they caught and sold the fish and they are the fish. So it was an example that folks could understand. Being from the southern United States, I also understand fishing. Using the example of fishing makes it easier for me to understand evangelism. We are called to be fishers of people. Most people, even non-believer, understand this analogy.

However, because fishermen are known to stretch the truth now and then, they are watched closely by others. We are also being watched – by the world. They want to see us screw up – and we will screw up. However, our actions when we screw up should show the heart and mind of Christ.

A preacher stopped by a music store on his way to a meeting at the church. There was a CD that he wanted and he was just going to run in and get it, then he would be on his way to the meeting. As it often happens, there was a long line at the register when he went to check out. When he finally made it to the cashier, he was talking to another person in line. He put his money on the counter, then scooped up his change and rushed out so that he could get to his meeting on time. When he got to his car, the preacher realized that the cashier had given him too much change. His first thought was “Man, I’m really running late. If I go back, I’ll be late for sure”. Then he realized that he had to go back. What would Jesus do? So the preacher went back to the store, stood in line again, and when he got to the counter, he told the cashier “You made a mistake with my change. You gave me too much change. I’m in a bit of a rush, and I just want to return the overage.” The cashier said, “There was no mistake. You see, I attended church for the first time in many years last Sunday. It just so happens that you were preaching. You preached on Honesty and Integrity. I intentionally gave you too much change to see if those were just terms for your Sunday sermon, or if you really practiced what you preach.”

People will take notice when they see that we have the joy that they are searching for. These may be people that we have witnessed to before, and they may have persecuted us for our belief. They may say something like “I saw how you handled that rude customer yesterday. I would have told him to ___________ (add your own expletive in the blank). But you didn’t. That’s really cool. How could you keep your cool like that?” You have just received an invitation to share your faith. You don’t have to be a Bible scholar to tell the story now. You know what Jesus has done for you – just tell that story.

Evangelism is nothing more than conversation between people. We do that all the time! Why be afraid? But remember, true conversation starts with a relationship. Just walk the walk, then talk the talk...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
People should generally avoid relationship evangelism.

One reason why i used this, is to justify my not speaking first about Christ which is fueled by fear. Therefore I use 'relationship evangelism' as a mark for saving souls when the reality is that i'm making it harder for myself.

In the end, i don't tell them about God and instead just use the 'Jesus will shine through me' or the 'preach the gospel if nessesary use words' excuse and become silent.

I tell you, speaking with strangers is much easier. It's a peice of cake, trust me. I can barely even open my mouth for my family, why should i make friends first before speaking about my faith?

So if you're going to go for relationship evangelism, i strongly recommend speaking about Christ FIRST before you grow into the relationship, otherwise it will be far too difficult for you to do so later. The longer you leave it, the harder it gets.

And you might be thinking 'man you got no right to tell us that'

Well, take this advice from a guy who has done it for 3 years with no results. Compared with speaking with 7 strangers in 1 week, i got more results than 3 years of 'letting Jesus shine through me'. Go figure :p

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Sharky said:
People should generally avoid relationship evangelism.

One reason why i used this, is to justify my not speaking first about Christ which is fueled by fear. Therefore I use 'relationship evangelism' as a mark for saving souls when the reality is that i'm making it harder for myself.

In the end, i don't tell them about God and instead just use the 'Jesus will shine through me' or the 'preach the gospel if nessesary use words' excuse and become silent.

I tell you, speaking with strangers is much easier. It's a peice of cake, trust me. I can barely even open my mouth for my family, why should i make friends first before speaking about my faith?

So if you're going to go for relationship evangelism, i strongly recommend speaking about Christ FIRST before you grow into the relationship, otherwise it will be far too difficult for you to do so later. The longer you leave it, the harder it gets.

And you might be thinking 'man you got no right to tell us that'

Well, take this advice from a guy who has done it for 3 years with no results. Compared with speaking with 7 strangers in 1 week, i got more results than 3 years of 'letting Jesus shine through me'. Go figure :p
If thats what works for you awesome, However that doesnt discount relationship evanglism as working for other people. I have more luck speaking about God to people I have a connection with already than walking up and talking with a stranger. That doesnt make either way wrong, it just means different styles work for different people

When I was into witchcraft as I may have already said, the ones who walked up to me in the street, I laughed at, infact I was probably incredibly rude to, because they were comming into my space where they had no right to be.

The ones that made a difference, were the ones who lived out there life and did let the light of christ shine through.

I think its important to remeber its about speaking and letting God do the work. That may not lead to a decision for christ straight away, at times though seeds are planted that we cant see.

I had someone, speak into my life when I was still a witch and about a year before I became a christian. That person said it didnt matter how badly I had transgressed against God, that he still loved me no matter how far gone I thought I was. At the time I told them to get lost, with their God bothering talk, but about a year later it surfaced again and was part of the reason I gave my life to christ.

Dont discount an evanglism style just because it doesnt work for you Packy

Upvote 0

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
wizeone said:
If thats what works for you awesome, However that doesnt discount relationship evanglism as working for other people. I have more luck speaking about God to people I have a connection with already than walking up and talking with a stranger. That doesnt make either way wrong, it just means different styles work for different people

When I was into witchcraft as I may have already said, the ones who walked up to me in the street, I laughed at, infact I was probably incredibly rude to, because they were comming into my space where they had no right to be.

The ones that made a difference, were the ones who lived out there life and did let the light of christ shine through.

I think its important to remeber its about speaking and letting God do the work. That may not lead to a decision for christ straight away, at times though seeds are planted that we cant see.

I had someone, speak into my life when I was still a witch and about a year before I became a christian. That person said it didnt matter how badly I had transgressed against God, that he still loved me no matter how far gone I thought I was. At the time I told them to get lost, with their God bothering talk, but about a year later it surfaced again and was part of the reason I gave my life to christ.

Dont discount an evanglism style just because it doesnt work for you Packy
Well keep going for it mate.

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
To Luminousfive.......

I would change a few things so as not to be too pushy. Pushy turns people off............

"Hi I'm John, Would you mind if I asked you a few questions?"
No, I would say, "do you mind if we talk"?

"First, Whats your name?"
No..."Hi I'm _____,...... ALLOW them to decide if they want you to know their name.

"Dave, would you consider yourself religious?"
No....."Are you a Christian"?

"Would you mind telling me a little about why you don't believe in God?/Why you believe in your religion?"

No, too harsh, they may take offense, like you are critisizing their God, or they could say to themselves, "who in the h-ll is this stranger"? too nosey (if possible keep the issue on Jesus, and not his belief, he will start comparing if you do).....I would say " Have you ever thought about Jesus"?

Listen to what he/she has to say. People actually do have reasons for what they believe. Then I usually tell them why I am a Christian. "I'm a Christian because of Gods amazing love for me, not because I am a sinner, not because I'm worried about going to hell, but because God created me I appreciate the fact that I'm even alive, and for that God deserves my worship. I honor God by having a relationship with His son Jesus Christ."

No....NEVER even bring up the word "SIN", for some unbelievers don't even believe in sin. I have NEVER brought up the word "SIN"....... BUT if they ASK?.....I would add......"all of my sin's have been removed by what the Lord has done for me (SIN IS NEVER THE ISSUE), All I needed to do was believe, and in believing, I become a member of His family, His Royal family, for forever. He did it for me, I did nothing! (Keep work's out of it all together) It's what God does, not what I do. This is His gift to all mankind". Keep the point DIRECTED ON the Lord, and off ourselves. We are emphasizing the gospel, not ourselves.

Then I follow that by asking them if there is anything really tough going on in their life.

No, No....WAY too personal (you don't know this person, he doesn't know you, would you tell a total stranger your business? I certainly wouldn't) I would start by saying, "the problems that I had before Jesus are now gone, (this opens up another conversation, where his free will may WANT to enter) Jesus took care of that too, I just ALL put my problems in His hands (this tells a little about the omnipotence of the Lord, without mentioning the word omnipotent) and let Him take care of them,..... and He did. My worries are gone"! Then stay silent, and let the person think, and if he wants to, he may (or may not,....I respect his privacy) share some with you. I Don't get personal, our privacy of the priesthood (us believers) don't ask these things, for he might be embarrased to tell of his personal things, for they may contain sins. This is too much pressure, and really none of our business. I mean after all, we are strangers to one another. This is probally why most unbelievers call us crazy, religous nuts!

"Dave, is there anything going on in your life that is really tough to deal with?

No, again too nosey....Instead say "I have stress at work sometimes, then I go home after work and have so much to do". Stop! This opens up a new venue, and I stop talking, letting him have the opportunity to speak IF he so desires. The more talking I do, the less he does.

"If you want, or if not I can pray for you later."

No.....by you praying to your God, (for him) may lead him to take the defensive about the possibility of offending HIS God?! (Put yourself inside his shoes, and inside his belief, AND he may not believe in ANY God?? or believe in praying) This is a touchy ground, so I tread easy.

We should always stay on the main subject...."Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved"! Period!

God in His wisdom made it SO simple to become a believer. All else is really none of our business.

I say to unbelievers..............."Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved"!

Then I say to the unbeliever....."all you have to do is...... in the "PRIVACY OF YOUR OWN SOUL, SAY TO THE FATHER, I AM BELIEVING ON YOUR SON",

Then I say, "THIS IS PRIVATE MATTER BETWEEN YOU AND THE FATHER, (they love the opportunity of their privacy, don't make them feel as if they are on display. Doesn't embarrass them.) "WITH YOUR HEAD BOWED AND YOUR EYES CLOSED, ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY, "IN YOUR OWN WORDS, FATHER I AM BELIEVING IN YOUR SON".

This gives the individual PRIVACY. If this individual doesn't do it then, then he will ALWAYS remember, (because I had already told him how simple the father had made it for him) that HE KNOW"S at any time in the privacy of his own soul, in the future, and what he needs to do to accept Jesus in his life.

I have planted the seed, God the Holy Spirit will Do the "drawing" out of the unbeliver. God the Holy Spirit is "Faithful", He will seek them out.

Upvote 0