Aug 27, 2008
MO
Visit site
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, God's really burdened my heart about this and I truly don't know where to start or what to do. I'd like to be a lay Christian counselor. I do not want any payment of any sort, I just want to be able to help those (and myself sometimes) with Christian guidance and advice from the Bible that ask for help. I would like to take classes that would give me a certificate(not necessarily a degree). I'm young in age but old in spirit and have helped many people by just listening but I want to be able to offer more, and use God's word to help them. Any good programs/advice you can give me? I'd really appreciate it!

Please note; I do not want to use this for making a business or a profit. I know Liberty has a degree program but I'm not too keen in that for reasons I shall not name. Thanks.

Blessings

DreamsAreFree

Ps46:10 Jer33:3
Sep 20, 2008
✟8,389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, so what you are talking about is pastoral care rather than counselling? It's very satisfying but I suggest you need to think about things like supervision (for your own protection as much as the client) and indemnity cover. Most churches will provide this if you are on their team. I suggest talking to the pastor about your calling and what your church requires. A good place to start can also be on an intercessors team. Go up to people after services, show you are good at approaching people and caring, join a greeting team at church, etc. Lay the foundation that shows you have those skills. Once you have shown that, it is likely your church will be happy to have you on board.

Also, I would consider that you need to ask the church about supervision and indemnity cover because although it is low risk, having these is essential and expensive.

Upvote 0

Kalli

Servant of God/Devotional Writer/Youth Coordinator
Aug 27, 2008
MO
Visit site
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure, I've never heard of "pastoral" care. I basically would like just to be there if needed you know? Like be able to provide guidance, not really offer "advice" because that is what the professional does and also in the Lord's hands, I'm not one to TELL someone what they should or shouldn't do, specifically in delicate situations. I would like, for instance, help people in times of grieving, help teens with all their issues. Just pray for me that the Lord lead me in the right direction. I go to a small SBC church and am looking to move. I don't necessarily want the certification to be "displayed" but I would like to know that I can help someone if need be with the tools I am given-a spirit of discernment and my bible

Upvote 0

DreamsAreFree

Sep 20, 2008
✟8,389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pastoral care is caring for the flock. It is different from counselling which is much more formal. Pastoral care is half way between social work and counselling. (BTW - a professional counsellor does not often offer advice but guides the client to come up with their own solutions). If you are talking about things like visiting the sick, having coffee with someone struggling, praying with people, etc that is pastoral care. Anyone can do this within the congregation. In fact, pastoral care needs to be a body-wide thing as we look out for each other.

If you want something more formal i.e. to work with the pastoral team, then a good place to start would be basic counselling workshops, crisis care training, etc. You don't need high level training for pastoral care but some is useful. Also, some very basic abnormal psychology so you can recognise what might be going on with some people and understand different struggles and know when to refer is helpful. There are pastoral care courses you can do.

What about starting a small group at church? This is where a lot of care is done. Often only the 'stuff' that is too big to be handled at that level comes to the pastors and pastoral team.

But if you were on my team I would be looking for your heart first of all...and then look at your ability to do the job be it evidence from what you have contributed in the church first and qualifications second. Some training is a bonus but not essential.

Talk to your pastor :).

Upvote 0

DreamsAreFree

Sep 20, 2008
✟8,389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also - a lot of pastoral care is picked up at altar calls ... prayer time during services. We have people come out front at the end of the worship who want prayer and leaders pray for them there. Look out for people you don't know who might be visitors and approach them and make them welcome. Call people who you have noticed are missing from church for a few weeks. At the end of services, approach people on their own and talk to them.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You have a caring heart. Great. But with that good biblical knowledge beyond just text quoting, and lots of real life experiences are what makes for good pastoral care, and counseling too for that matter. Get involved with people, but recognise that life skills and knowledge require actual living, not just tenderness towards people in need.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

windcatcher

Up Lifter
Oct 9, 2008
Japan
✟15,381.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Here is what I think, and this is also known fact among many people.

Be a good listener. People are seeking those who can just listen to their stories. Sometimes, you don't need to say a word. If you can listen to what they say patiently with love, by the time they have done with their stories, they will feel better!

" So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath;"

I think you should read the Bible and see how Jesus did. It really is not about methodology or skills. It's the attitude of your heart. Then, add God's help, the anointing of the Holy Spirit, so you will be able to know what, when, and how to say.

Studying to become a counselor only helps you to know what. But when and how comes from the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Jayangel81

Child of the Most High
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2007
Long Island Ny, USA
✟49,584.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is stopping you from starting right here?

Good response.

Christianforums is a great place to reach out to people and to guide them. there are many ways to help and show people you are there and if they need anything, you are ready to just listen. God will honor this and send people your way if this is what He wants you to do.trust me ;)

Hundreds of new people flood in here per week . There are alot of people on this site who need guidance. If you want to start somewhere, start small and I just think this is a good place :)

If you are going to guide anyone it is to be in Godly ways so make sure you fill yourself up with Gods Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums