How to answer this question?

Jillian1527

Apr 10, 2004
Indiana
✟15,524.00
Faith
Christian
My daughter age 5 asked me the other day if a girls can marry girls. my 7 year old daughter said no. and this made the 5 year old very upset and she asked me again.. I changed the subject as I dont know how to answer her.
Do I tell her yes they can, because in some states they can. or do I tell her no, because that is my sexual preference?
thanks.
-Jillian

selune

Feb 3, 2004
✟17,896.00
Faith
Protestant
Like Jenna said, you can tell her what God intended and that some states allow for girls to marry. Just like there is no law against gambling or drinking (if you're of age) some people don't do it because of religious convictions. We had the same question here and a similar response from one of our kids. She may be more concerned that she has a really good friend and we often tell our kids that ouur husband is our best friend too and she doesn't get why she can't marry her best friend. That's what started the issue in our house.

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jenna said:
Why not just tell her the truth, that God made marriage for a man and a woman? If she presses the issue, you could explain that women may marry other women, but God did not intend for it to be like that?
what Jenna said

Upvote 0

Why?

"Love Thy Neighbor As Thyself"
Jul 16, 2004
✟17,427.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
fiveinjuly said:
Tell her the truth.
I'll second that. A simple "Yes. In some places women can marry other women." will be fine. She's 5, she'll learn your opinions as she grows and understands things better.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Take 2 giant steps backward.

Ask her why she wants to know. It could be that she has made a very good friend and she knows that people who really love each other get married. At age 5 she really has no concept of sexuality, let alone homosexuality. Her question is innocent.

So, someday when the 2 of you are just hanging out, say something like: "Do you remember when you asked me about girls marrying girls? Why did you ask?" It could be a great time to talk about friends and friendship. And if she was wondering about same-sex marriage, you can simply say "It is God's plan that men and women marry, like Mom and Dad." and leave it at that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IslandBreeze

Caribbean Queen
Sep 2, 2002
✟18,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
bliz said:

Ask her why she wants to know.
That was my first thought. I don't think it's 'what' she's asking, but why is she asking it? That's the first question you need to get an answer to. Then let's go from there. ;)

Upvote 0

Jillian1527

Apr 10, 2004
Indiana
✟15,524.00
Faith
Christian
bliz said:

Ask her why she wants to know. It could be that she has made a very good friend and she knows that people who really love each other get married. At age 5 she really has no concept of sexuality, let alone homosexuality. Her question is innocent.

So, someday when the 2 of you are just hanging out, say something like: "Do you remember when you asked me about girls marrying girls? Why did you ask?" It could be a great time to talk about friends and friendship. And if she was wondering about same-sex marriage, you can simply say "It is God's plan that men and women marry, like Mom and Dad." and leave it at that.
Funny.. She did ask because she was talking to her sister and said she was going to marry Autumn(her bestest friend) and my oldest said no you cant marry a girl(something she came up with on her own.) and that led to the "mommy sissy said I cant marry a girl. why cant I marry a girl?"
Thank you all for your answers. you have helped me tons. now I know what to tell her.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What your daughter is expressing is how much she loves her friend Autumn. She has learned, through observation, that when you really love someone, you marry them. (That says a lot of good things about your famiily life!)

More than anything, she needs the verbal tools to think about these emotions. You can bring up Autumn in conversations and say "I am so glad that you have a really good friend in Autumn. Friendships are so very important! Do you know Mrs. Smith? She's been my friend for 10 years - that's twice a old as you are! Good friends are so special." This helps her develop a catagory for her relationship with Autumn and later, with other friends. It affirms that her love for Autumn is fine and not wrong at all.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~ Gig ~

God is Gracious
Aug 6, 2004
Eastern Canada
✟315,811.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jenna said:
Why not just tell her the truth, that God made marriage for a man and a woman? If she presses the issue, you could explain that women may marry other women, but God did not intend for it to be like that?
I agree 100%.:)

Upvote 0