Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Jimmy Tosh's sprawling hog farm in rural Tennessee is an unlikely battleground in the fight for control of the U.S. Senate.

Yet his 15,000 acres (6,000 hectares) two hours west of Nashville showcase the practical risks of President Donald Trump's trade policies and the political threat to red-state Republican Senate candidates such as Tennessee's Marsha Blackburn.

Tosh, a third-generation farmer who almost always votes Republican, said he's voting this fall for Blackburn's Democratic opponent, former Gov. Phil Bredesen, in part because Trump's trade wars are hurting his family business — a sizable one with some 400 employees and 30,000 pigs. The cost of steel needed for new barns is up, Tosh said, and the expanding pork market stands to suffer under new tariffs.

"This tariff situation has got me very, very, very concerned," Tosh told The Associated Press. "I just think Bredesen would be better on that situation." He said Blackburn has shifted "toward the center" on tariffs, "but in my opinion, it's a little late and not far enough."

Similar concerns are roiling high-profile Senate contests in Missouri, Indiana, Pennsylvania and North Dakota and forcing GOP candidates to answer for the trade policies of a Republican president they have backed on almost every other major issue.

In 2016, populist attacks against free trade defined Trump's political rise. Now, as he sparks an international trade war four months before the midterm elections, few policies could be more problematic for Trump's allies in pivotal Senate contests.

The Trump administration imposed a 25 percent tax on $34 billion worth of Chinese imports on Friday, and China is retaliating with taxes on an equal amount of U.S. products, including soybeans, electric cars and pork. The administration has penalized steel and aluminum imports from allies such as Canada and Mexico, leading to retaliation against American-made products such as blue jeans, motorcycles and whiskey.

The tension has reshaped the race to replace retiring Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn. Blackburn, an eight-term congresswoman, has been one of the president's biggest boosters for the past two years, yet with the business community up in arms, she's dramatically softened her support for Trump's trade policies, at least.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trade-war-changing-minds-senate-150323935.html

• Informative
Reactions: Jamsie

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Jimmy Tosh's sprawling hog farm in rural Tennessee is an unlikely battleground in the fight for control of the U.S. Senate.

Yet his 15,000 acres (6,000 hectares) two hours west of Nashville showcase the practical risks of President Donald Trump's trade policies and the political threat to red-state Republican Senate candidates such as Tennessee's Marsha Blackburn.

Tosh, a third-generation farmer who almost always votes Republican, said he's voting this fall for Blackburn's Democratic opponent, former Gov. Phil Bredesen, in part because Trump's trade wars are hurting his family business — a sizable one with some 400 employees and 30,000 pigs. The cost of steel needed for new barns is up, Tosh said, and the expanding pork market stands to suffer under new tariffs.

"This tariff situation has got me very, very, very concerned," Tosh told The Associated Press. "I just think Bredesen would be better on that situation." He said Blackburn has shifted "toward the center" on tariffs, "but in my opinion, it's a little late and not far enough."

Similar concerns are roiling high-profile Senate contests in Missouri, Indiana, Pennsylvania and North Dakota and forcing GOP candidates to answer for the trade policies of a Republican president they have backed on almost every other major issue.

In 2016, populist attacks against free trade defined Trump's political rise. Now, as he sparks an international trade war four months before the midterm elections, few policies could be more problematic for Trump's allies in pivotal Senate contests.

The Trump administration imposed a 25 percent tax on $34 billion worth of Chinese imports on Friday, and China is retaliating with taxes on an equal amount of U.S. products, including soybeans, electric cars and pork. The administration has penalized steel and aluminum imports from allies such as Canada and Mexico, leading to retaliation against American-made products such as blue jeans, motorcycles and whiskey.

The tension has reshaped the race to replace retiring Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn. Blackburn, an eight-term congresswoman, has been one of the president's biggest boosters for the past two years, yet with the business community up in arms, she's dramatically softened her support for Trump's trade policies, at least.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trade-war-changing-minds-senate-150323935.html
Marsha Blackburn has proven time and again that her policy priorities are to those who pony-up the most in campaign contributions. I expect a lot of flippin'-floppin' on her positions with Trump to take place once the primary is over.

Upvote 0