How Soon Will This Prophecy Be Fulfilled (3)

SanFrank

Islam Lies to Muslims - Facebook
Mar 11, 2009
United States
✟17,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
11/27/11
Isaiah 17 "1 The Lord said, "Damascus will not be a city any longer; it will be only a pile of ruins. 2 The cities of Syria will be deserted forever. They will be a pasture for sheep and cattle, and no one will drive them away. 3 Israel will be defenseless, and Damascus will lose its independence. Those Syrians who survive will be in disgrace like the people of Israel. I, the Lord Almighty, have spoken."
A nuclear attack would definitely make Damascus 'deserted forever' due to resulting radiation levels. The Syrian Free Army backed by the Arab League (consisting of Turkey, Jordan and others), along with Israel and the US are heading for a confrontation with Assad's Syrian Regime that seems backed by not only Iran but now Russia! Amazingly, as of Sunday 11/27/11, Russia's only air craft carrier is heading for Syrian waters where the US is already stationed. Everyone in that region is moving military equipment and men and getting ready for a confrontation.

MAIN ARTICLE:
DEBKAfile, Political Analysis, Espionage, Terrorism, Security
-------------------------------------------------------
Update 12/1/2011 UN now calling the situation on the ground in Syria, a civil war.

UPDATE 2-Syria on cusp of civil war, death toll 4,000-UN | Energy & Oil | Reuters

As Damascus is the capital and home to most of Bashar Assad's family and seat of power, I assume Damascus will bear the brunt of the war and be Assad's last stronghold.
Tanakh
Amos 1: 3 "The Lord says, "The people of Damascus have sinned again and again, and for this I will certainly punish them. They treated the people of Gilead with savage cruelty. 4 So I will send fire upon the palace built by King Hazael and I will burn down the fortresses of King Benhadad. 5 I will smash the city gates of Damascus and remove the inhabitants of Aven Valley and the ruler of Betheden."
Gilead was the region in northern israel... the people were israelites. Just coincidence or prophecy in action; words written in 750BC! Ben-hadad refers to the kings of Damascus and also means "son of Hadad". Interestingly, Assad's mother is Makhlouf which is of the tribe Alawi Haddad. So Assad is a son of Haddad.
--------------------------------------------------------
Update 12/13/2011
US Special Forces leave Iraq and head for Jordan/Syrian border! The armory continues to mount from all sides and Damascus (see OP) is in everyone's sight of vision.
--------------------------------------------------------
Update 12/17/2011
Wow. In recent weeks, the city of Hama (biblical Hamath) is bearing the brunt of Assad's crackdown and suffering the most deaths; another Hama Massacre. It is mentioned in Jeremiah 49, along with Assad (son of Haddad). All the key elements are here, including Damascus.

Jeremiah 49.23 This is what the Lord said about Damascus: "The people in the cities of Hamath and Arpad are worried and troubled because they have heard bad news. Anxiety rolls over them like a sea, and they cannot rest. 24 The people of Damascus are weak and have fled in terror. They are in pain and misery like a woman in labor. 25 The famous city that used to be happy is completely deserted. 26 On that day her young men will be killed in the city streets, and all her soldiers destroyed. 27 I will set the walls of Damascus on fire and will burn down King Benhadad's palaces. I, the Lord Almighty, have spoken."
Words spoken 2700 years ago but as relevant today as reading an MSNBC commentary.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Update 12/30/2011
source: Foreign monitors energize Syrian protests - Yahoo! News

It has been a month since I started this thread and since then, thousands more Syrian muslims (sunni mostly) have died at the hands of another muslim, Assad, (shiite). With the arrival of arab league monitors, we see that animosity towards Assad is not limited to the people of Hama. Clearly, thousands of his opponents are in Damascus too. Half the country probably feels the same way but repressing these sentiments by force has been the government's standard policy. So does anyone else see Damascus suffering grave damages as a result of a civil war that seems quickly approaching?

Zechariah 9:1 "This is the Lord's message: He has decreed punishment for the land of Hadrach and for the city of Damascus."

Jeremiah 49 (above post) amazingly portrays current events.

Amos 1 (above post) amazingly mentions Assad's family by name.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Update 02/01/2012

Insurgent groups (entire villages and sections of Damascus) are becoming more noticeable. People gather to protest but then scatter upon seeing any sort Syrian military approaching. Now a renegade General in the North is planning to take his division to go against Assad and his brother (another General) and his cousin. Such loss of military allegiance to the other side, has been ongoing and civil war seems more inevitable. Official death tolls since the uprising to topple Assad started, 5400. The opposition claims the number is over 8000. Most attention by Assad (Alawi shiite) has been against Homs, Hama and the north, sunni majorities; a sectarian conflict of opposing islamic sects.
Further reading: DEBKAfile, Political Analysis, Espionage, Terrorism, Security
Back in August of 2011, Assad said:
"six hours after the first shot is fired against Syria, he would "destroy Tel Aviv and set the entire Middle East on fire."
Of course Damascus, (Assad's center), would not stand a chance against such a move and the question posed by the OP would be answered on that day; "how soon will this prophecy be fulfilled?" War threats are heating up as of 2/1/2012. Again Assad's future is being taken up, this time with the UN Security Council. If they decide to demand his step-down, he is threatening war again. The problem is Russia does not want a Libya type scenario and a black hole left behind. Russia has a naval ship at the ready to force its position. Meanwhile, Assad's strength, the Tehran (iran) - Damascus - Hezbollah (lebanon) bloc, are also ready; that is, their boots are on, rifles on hand and loaded.
What have we seen thus far? For nearly a year insurgents have been gaining in numbers throughout Syria and now are on the outskirts of Damascus; Assad has augmented his war rhetoric; nations in support of Assad have made themselves known clearly by stationing military equipment in key locations; the UN and Arab League have exhausted their demands towards Assad for a peaceful resolution... conclusion: war is inevitable to oust Assad and Damascus is in the crosshairs.
--------------------------------------
Update 08/03/12

I noticed Aleppo is mentioned in Jeremiah 49 also. Arpad is 5 miles, a suburb more or less, of Aleppo. Does history repeat itself or is Biblical Prophecy Accurate?
Hamath is 10 miles of Hama and we have seen the destruction by Assad on Hama and Homs. Assad is a Ben-Hadad. Damascus is under seige. Muslims take notice; Bible is accurate and true and this is becoming more evident as we approach a turning point.

Syrian army moves on rebels in Aleppo, Damascus - Yahoo! News

dfw69

Pre-Tribulation Pre- False Messianic Age
Nov 16, 2011
Dallas/Ft Worth
✟78,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that prophecy will be fulfilled during the final pouring of the 7th bowl...when a mighty earthquake that shakes the whole world and causes the cities of the nations to fall...including future Babylon.....the new city to come

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
11/27/11
Isaiah 17 "1 The Lord said, "Damascus will not be a city any longer; it will be only a pile of ruins. 2 The cities of Syria will be deserted forever. They will be a pasture for sheep and cattle, and no one will drive them away. 3 Israel will be defenseless, and Damascus will lose its independence. Those Syrians who survive will be in disgrace like the people of Israel. I, the Lord Almighty, have spoken."
A nuclear attack would definitely make Damascus 'deserted forever' due to resulting radiation levels. The Syrian Free Army backed by the Arab League (consisting of Turkey, Jordan and others), along with Israel and the US are heading for a confrontation with Assad's Syrian Regime that seems backed by not only Iran but now Russia! Amazingly, as of Sunday 11/27/11, Russia's only air craft carrier is heading for Syrian waters where the US is already stationed. Everyone in that region is moving military equipment and men and getting ready for a confrontation.

MAIN ARTICLE:
Wouldn't a nuclear blast preclude a pasture for sheep and cattle? Why didn't the "prophecy" specify it's source of decimation as nuclear?

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
See Isaiah 35:2. This took place under the kings of Assyria, and particularly under Tiglath-pileser. This was in the fourth year of Ahaz 2 Kings 16:9. (Barne's)

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible CommentaryCHAPTER 17
Isa 17:1-11. Prophecy Concerning Damascus and Its Ally Samaria, that is, Syria and Israel, which had leagued together (seventh and eighth chapters).
Already, Tiglath-pileser had carried away the people of Damascus to Kir, in the fourth year of Ahaz (2Ki 16:9); but now in Hezekiah's reign a further overthrow is foretold (Jer 49:23; Zec 9:1). Also, Shalmaneser carried away Israel from Samaria to Assyria (2Ki 17:6; 18:10, 11) in the sixth year of Hezekiah of Judah (the ninth year of Hoshea of Israel). This prophecy was, doubtless, given previously in the first years of Hezekiah when the foreign nations came into nearer collision with Judah, owing to the threatening aspect of Assyria.

There are verses a little farther on in the chapter that I believe relate to tribulational times. :wave:

Upvote 0

SanFrank

Islam Lies to Muslims - Facebook
Mar 11, 2009
United States
✟17,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wouldn't a nuclear blast preclude a pasture for sheep and cattle? Why didn't the "prophecy" specify it's source of decimation as nuclear?
I mentioned nuclear as a possibility in Nov 2011. However, looking at this again, Assad's use of biological weapons of which he has stockpiled and currently moving to strategic locations, would cause desertion of those areas where they are used.
See Isaiah 35:2. This took place under the kings of Assyria, and particularly under Tiglath-pileser. This was in the fourth year of Ahaz 2 Kings 16:9. (Barne's)

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible CommentaryCHAPTER 17
Isa 17:1-11. Prophecy Concerning Damascus and Its Ally Samaria, that is, Syria and Israel, which had leagued together (seventh and eighth chapters).
Already, Tiglath-pileser had carried away the people of Damascus to Kir, in the fourth year of Ahaz (2Ki 16:9); but now in Hezekiah's reign a further overthrow is foretold (Jer 49:23; Zec 9:1). Also, Shalmaneser carried away Israel from Samaria to Assyria (2Ki 17:6; 18:10, 11) in the sixth year of Hezekiah of Judah (the ninth year of Hoshea of Israel). This prophecy was, doubtless, given previously in the first years of Hezekiah when the foreign nations came into nearer collision with Judah, owing to the threatening aspect of Assyria.

There are verses a little farther on in the chapter that I believe relate to tribulational times. :wave:
Thank you for your input. I was aware of the historical relevance. As a pentecostal, my brethren believe that the more specific language of the prophecy has yet to be fulfilled. That 'damascus will not be a city any longer' and 'deserted' have yet to occur. Damascus was taken by assyria in Jeremiah's day but it was not destroyed.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I mentioned nuclear as a possibility in Nov 2011. However, looking at this again, Assad's use of biological weapons of which he has stockpiled and currently moving to strategic locations, would cause desertion of those areas where they are used.

Are biological weapons capable of rendering a city into ruins?

Upvote 0