Apr 17, 2011
Oregon
Visit site
✟18,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The greater the age difference, the greater the odds are it will not work out...in my opinion.....

As a general rule I agree with this. I would go a year younger or up to 10 years older. It's hard to set a limit on that when every person is unique.

Upvote 0

HazelWings

There is no one like our God
Apr 17, 2011
Oregon
Visit site
✟18,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1/2+7 rule has been around for a long time. It's still pretty accurate for how young I'd go. Hesitant about going too much older though because I want a truck load of kids. 50 at least. I believe it may take multiple wives to do so, so I'm looking at dropping God and moving somewhere that will let me.

ROFL I know people ;)

Reactions: MehTeh
Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The greater the age difference, the greater the odds are it will not work out...in my opinion.....

I would agree with this, but I think that certain personality types might blend together better than others and that might aide in curtailing any major maturity/stage-in-life issues that could arise when there's a bit of an age difference. I mean, when you're talking 18/40 yr old, 30/80 yr old combinations, you are absolutely correct. I think any exceptions to the rule would be so slim and far between, it wouldn't even be worth mentioning. So yeah.. I basically agree with you and so forget the part where I kind of started out disagreeing... because you're not saying if there's an age difference, it won't work out. You're saying if it's great, the probability of problems or differences coming to surface goes up... which is true. :sorry:

Also... the thread title reminds me of an unfortunate incident involving a hotel, a hot skirt and a total tool.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Really? I'd think your chances with a snappy, older lady goes down if you start winning...

Those ladies can be vicious!

True, but I'm the only guy there who can stay awake past 7:30. I have no competition.

Upvote 0

shinkou

Mar 17, 2011
✟8,293.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Some interesting answers so far. I know 4 guys that married girls 20 years older than them. While I wouldn't go for a difference like that myself, it does seem to be working for them. Here in Korea, I see quite a few mixed race couples where the guy is 20 years or more older than the girl. I am told by Koreans I've met those girls probably have a boyfriend their own age and are with the foriegner for the money. I think that is probably very true.

I think that I'd probably go with the no one younger than the 7 1/2 rule stated. Older... I think maybe 5 years.

Upvote 0

Shadesofgray

Apr 7, 2011
Seoul South Korea
✟15,386.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Alright. As promised, it's now my turn. I've heard the half + 7 rule before and I find it to be a pretty good rule over all.

I've never really given it much thought when it comes to older women before. I think I'd be ok with it though. I do have an Aussie friend that married someone 22 years older than him, they had 2 kids together, then got divorced because he was interested in a younger girl. I suppose that might be the only thing that I would really worry about with the whole age issue. I think I'd generally like to keep the age range between 5-7 years max.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
old enough to be my father - thats weird. I might be able to date ten years older than me if we really connected, but I'm thinking that in most cases, it'd be pushing it. I can date a couple of years younger than me. but anymore than that and we're heading into weirdness territory

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

waves16

don't provoke the beavers
Dec 20, 2010
Canada
✟17,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I probably wouldn't date younger than me.
I'm 19, so if I dated an 18 year old, they'd probably be in high school. That just seems weird to me, since I'm starting my third year of university soon :/
I think I'd date up to 24. It's not so much the age that matters, but what stage of life they're in. If they were a 24 year old student we'd probably click. If they were 24 years old with their own house, steady career, and ready to settle down, not so much. The age difference will probably widen as I get older. My parents are 6 years apart and they've been married for 22 years. We always joke about how my mom was in grade 6 when my dad was already graduated, moved out, and in the military :p

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
My limits are capped only by decency.
Well, decency and discomfort.

In the 16-20 bracket I feel uncomfortable, it's only 3-7 years younger but it's not an age range i'd feel comfortable settling into. In my mind they should be living, not settling down with an old fart ^_^

Older ... so long as they don't start getting rather creepy, request they be called daddy (it's happened, the relationship faltered), or generally make my skin crawl then it's all dandy in the hood. The skin crawling is less to do with age and more to do with their approach to picking up the young'ins.

Plus if it gets serious i'd have to contend with the family and their dislike of age gaps beyond 5 years either way. They've been quite vocal about that.

Who knows what's in store though, could end up being chained to someone in the 20-25 bracket yet.

Upvote 0

Perhaps Today

A Light In The Black
Sep 18, 2009
Michigan
✟15,068.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I pretty much consider age to be just a number to a certain extent. I'd have no problem dating or marrying someone 10 years younger or someone up to 8 years older than me. If God's choice is outside that range I'm fine with that also.

Upvote 0

Gym

CF's Ruskie
Sep 10, 2009
✟12,239.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's not so much the age that matters, but what stage of life they're in.
that's a really interesting point there.

For myself.. I think quite honestly that special someone would need to be fairly close to my age.. more than a year younger and they'd be close to my little sister's age.. then again.. I have 2 older sisters...hmmm suddenly this game seems unwinnable

Upvote 0

MehTeh

Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
✟15,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
that's a really interesting point there.

For myself.. I think quite honestly that special someone would need to be fairly close to my age.. more than a year younger and they'd be close to my little sister's age.. then again.. I have 2 older sisters...hmmm suddenly this game seems unwinnable

Once into my mid 20's I thought no way to someone younger than the age of my youngest sister. Now I'm 32 and she's 25 I could go just a little younger than my little sister. Of course it should be noted that with 3 sisters none of them have ever tried to set me up with one of their friends! So unfair.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't go younger. At all. I'm sorry but I have two younger brothers so every guy who is younger then me, I have the mental attitude of "big sister"

I would go 5 years older. Doubtful I would go more than that.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The 1/2 + 7 rule is stupid, in my not so humble opinion. There I said it. It's a stupid, stupid rule that's not even a rule, but maybe just the preferred age for men who like the young'ins. (Sounds sexist? Too bad. And it's a man who pointed out something like that in a previous age thread.)*

Sure, I did go on a couple of dates with that 23 year old that my cousin wanted me to, but it only proved how stupid that rule is and how right I am to not date someone more than 5 years younger than me.

And to reverse that rule would have me dating a 50 year old. Gross. No, I'm not dating a 50 year old.

(As I said before, I'll date 10 years older and 5 years younger, but clearly that's not set in stone, since I did date that 23 year old.)

*I'm sorry, but I see that "rule" every time an age thread gets made and I just couldn't hold it in any longer. Historia is now 10% more vocal about her opinions. You're getting more of me, so think of it like a bonus. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0