Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
i like lots of secular songs. They are fun to listen to. I like Christian songs for other reasons but I wouldn’t call them fun. Is this ok?

Listen to as much as you want as long as you are mature enough not to be influenced by the bad ones.

There are music with messages that we know are bad in influence, however there are those that intentionally have such content to give a form of emphasis to their art (very little now these days because most celebrities are fake musicians with no talent what so ever).

Christians aren't that weak in spirit or mind that a bunch of music is going to pose any harm on them. It's a ridiculous paranoia.

• Agree
Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

TLSITD

Conservative Christian
Apr 26, 2020
Tennessee
✟22,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ed Sheeran has good songs and I think they are ok.
Each of us has a certain measure of discernment, depending on our level of spiritual maturity, which is a joint work of God and the believer and depends not merely on how long a person has been saved but what we do with our time and how we apply what we know from God's word. With the renewing of the mind by God comes greater spiritual maturity and with maturity, greater discernment of what God's will is and is not and what is and is not pleasing to Him. No other Christian can be a substitute for His Spirit as our guide and teacher in this way; and it's not God's will for us to try to be. That isn't helpful to the other believer, who needs to learn to be dependent on the Holy Spirit to lead him or her in the will of God. I can only offer you advice for increasing your discernment.

If you think the music you are listening to is acceptable to God, ask yourself why. Ask yourself also why you think it might not be. You can also refer back to my advice in my previous post.

I hope this helps you.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
i like lots of secular songs. They are fun to listen to. I like Christian songs for other reasons but I wouldn’t call them fun. Is this ok?

Secular music is fine. The Church I feel has misled hundreds by splitting music catagories into secular VS religious. Music is just that, music. It is neither good or bad.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The way I see it, God created all people and made them unique. He gave each and everyone their own skills and abilities and we should be grateful for them. Some have produced amazing music, others exquisite works of art, whilst many people have developed scientific, mathematical and problem solving abilities. It is true that people can use these skills for selfish or immoral purposes, but equally they can use them to accomplish good in this world.
I love sacred music as I find it uplifts me in my faith. I love secular music because it reminds me that each and everyone has a special contribution to the world in which we live.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You can listen to as much secular music as you want. We are under grace, not law. If you feel it's compromising your spiritual state, then try listening less or listening to another type of music, for example, classical, much of which was written for the church.

• Agree
Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
12 bars played in repetition....

if they come from Chicago, the Delta, Texas, Kansas City or Memphis ;):D:cool:.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Secular music is fine. The Church I feel has misled hundreds by splitting music catagories into secular VS religious. Music is just that, music. It is neither good or bad.

I don't quite agree with that. Some music is bad in more ways than one. But making the division between good and bad based on if the music was made for Church or other audiences is a fools folly.

Each work should be evaluated upon its own merits, nothing else.

Here is a song from my youth, and I give the version I first heard and still like best. Some would throw it out because of the group that recorded this version. Not what most people would pick for a Church service, but something a lot of people, Christians included could benefit from hearing and really listening.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Especially when the secular music of the 60's was more actively Christian in content than the church's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is bad music that does influence people negatively. In fact, I believe most pop stars of today are in some ways responsible for how dumb our current gen is.

That girl from Dr Phil makes "music" for example, it's horrible. Not only is the content bad but everything about it is bad in all areas.

I also think Rap music is one of the main culprits of bad influences on todays youth, especially young african americans who have no parents and look up to a rapper who doesn't make any good content other than crime, sex, money, and cars.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I hate painting all secular music with the same brush. There is a lot of great secular music. Some of it can be viewed through a Christian lens whether that was intended or not. "Bring Me To Life" is one of them. It eventually got included in a Hollywood musical based on The Passion of Christ.

It's not so much secular music that should be avoided IMO, but certain themes. Such as, "life sucks", "everybody is terrible", "you'll fail if you try so why bother", etc. A lot of songs push these nihilistic and pessimistic concepts and it can color our view of the world.

Upvote 0