keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely. No limit either. The only legitimate concern is the content of the songs in question.

I would advise occasionally stepping back and looking at what you are listening to. For example my taste runs to melancholy songs. Not a bad thing but it can be smart for me to include a few more up beat selections.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely. No limit either. The only legitimate concern is the content of the songs in question.

I would advise occasionally stepping back and looking at what you are listening to. For example my taste runs to melancholy songs. Not a bad thing but it can be smart for me to include a few more up beat selections.
Even though some people may laugh at me I think some Shawn mendes songs are catchy.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i like lots of secular songs. They are fun to listen to. I like Christian songs for other reasons but I wouldn’t call them fun. Is this ok?
There are no rules for this.
Read 1 Corinthians 10
Bottom line:
1 Cor 10:23 “All things are lawful [allowed],” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful [allowed],” but not all things build up.
So it's up to you to decide if you should or shouldn't indulge in secular media and entertainment.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi can you explain ?
You can't become a Christian just by acting like one. (See link in my previous post.) When you become a Christian, God gives you a new heart. That heart can hear Him on questions like ethics. Your current one cannot.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Titus 1:15 says "to the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted."

so the question is: have you been born-again? like someone has already said..when we repent and believe gospel, God will put His Spirit in a person so that they can hear from God and get answers that can only be given by the Holy Spirit. until that happens a person is said to be dead in their trespasses and sins. and what happens in matters like these are people will do what they think is right in their own eyes. but the proverbs gives the warning: There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death. (prov. 14:12)

come to God. don't try to turn over a new leaf. Let God rake the whole yard of your heart so he can engrave HIs truth inside you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can't become a Christian just by acting like one. (See link in my previous post.) When you become a Christian, God gives you a new heart.
That's a process that can take years though.
The seed in the good soil grows into a tree slowly.
That heart can hear Him on questions like ethics.
True.
One develops discernment with the help of the Spirit of Truth (the Holy Spirit).
Your current one cannot.
Not yet anyway, so it seems.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Titus 1:15 says "to the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted."

so the question is: have you been born-again?
He's a seeker.
Don't put up a hurdle like that to a seeker. (or was it meant as an incentive?)
Also, how many people who claim to be born again really are born again?
To be born again, the flesh must die first.
And for now we are all still flesh, not literally born again.
Yes, we can declare the flesh to be dead, which is meaningful, and we can be partakers of God's Kingdom already, but not yet (fully).
like someone has already said..when we repent and believe gospel, God will put His Spirit in a person so that they can hear from God and get answers that can only be given by the Holy Spirit. until that happens a person is said to be dead in their trespasses and sins. and what happens in matters like these are people will do what they think is right in their own eyes. but the proverbs gives the warning: There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death. (prov. 14:12)
Self righteousness is the way to death.
come to God. don't try to turn over a new leaf. Let God rake the whole yard of your heart so he can engrave HIs truth inside you.
Amen to that.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

so the question is: have you been born-again? like someone has already said..when we repent and believe gospel, God will put His Spirit in a person so that they can hear from God and get answers that can only be given by the Holy Spirit. until that happens a person is said to be dead in their trespasses and sins. and what happens in matters like these are people will do what they think is right in their own eyes. but the proverbs gives the warning: There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death. (prov. 14:12)

I don’t love anything. So I don’t think I am born again.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sounds sad. :(
Do you hate anything?

Probably not, since you are a seeker.
But seeking Him will get you closer.
if you read other posts of me I explain why I love nothing.

I wouldn’t say I hate anything much. Just don’t look forward to anything, enjoy many things or love people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
i like lots of secular songs. They are fun to listen to. I like Christian songs for other reasons but I wouldn’t call them fun. Is this ok?
Just one song a day - but no more! It's not allowed! :tearsofjoy:

Upvote 0

TLSITD

Conservative Christian
Apr 26, 2020
Tennessee
✟22,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That has to be a matter of personal faith between you and the Lord. He has to convict you of what is acceptable to Him for you to be listening to and what is not.

Hopefully it's obvious that any song with lyrics or a theme of profanity, blasphemy, or sinfulness, or of things demonic, is not honoring or acceptable to God or pleasing to Him for a Christian to be listening to.

I believe that some secular music is neutral and acceptable to God for a Christian to enjoy, but it depends on the song and it depends on the conscience of the believer also. If your conscience toward God isn't at peace when you're listening to something, and you feel like He's checking your spirit about it, stop.

If you can't picture Jesus Christ standing beside you approving of what you're listening to, it's not appropriate for you to be listening to it. His Holy Spirit lives in you, and He's listening to and seeing everything you introduce into His temple through your eyes and ears.

Honor Him and do not grieve Him.

Ask yourself also whether your goal in your Christian walk is to get as close to sin as possible without consequence or condemnation from God, or how far away from it you can stay in order to honor God.

If the former is your attitude, that needs to be addressed first, before any individual, specific issue, as that sort of mentality is evidence of a heart that is set on itself, which is the source and cause of all kinds of deviance and perverseness in the life of a believer.

In terms of a limit on how much secular music is too much, I think it depends on the kind of music and how it affects the Christian who is listening to it. Sensual indulgence can be addictive, and the pursuit of sensual gratification can interfere with one's appetite for and focus on spiritual health and nourishment. If you find that your music is hindering you from making the best use of the Lord's time and distracting you too much from His concerns, you should reduce your intake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is your favourite three sports?
I don't really care about sports.

if you read other posts of me I explain why I love nothing.
I'm not gonna read all your posts to find out exactly what happened or why and how.
From what i did read, you lost your faith because friends planted seeds of doubt, and now you're depressed and don't have much feelings at all anymore.
This has been going on like this for years now, and you're a seeker on this forum for 2½ years now.
You ask for help and nobody seems to be able to help you.
You try to get closer to God by following rules and laws but it doesn't help.
You do fear God's Judgement and you're afraid of eternal life in hell.

I wish i could help you too, but i don't think i can.

Do you miss your faith you used to have when you were 15?
I wouldn’t say I hate anything much. Just don’t look forward to anything, enjoy many things or love people.
Are you on medication against depression?

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That has to be a matter of personal faith between you and the Lord. He has to convict you of what is acceptable to Him for you to be listening to and what is not.

Hopefully it's obvious that any song with lyrics or a theme of profanity, blasphemy, or sinfulness, or of things demonic, is not honoring or acceptable to God or pleasing to Him for a Christian to be listening to.

I believe that some secular music is neutral and acceptable to God for a Christian to enjoy, but it depends on the song and it depends on the conscience of the believer also. If your conscience toward God isn't at peace when you're listening to something, and you feel like He's checking your spirit about it, stop.

If you can't picture Jesus Christ standing beside you approving of what you're listening to, it's not appropriate for you to be listening to it. His Holy Spirit lives in you, and He's listening to and seeing everything you introduce into His temple through your eyes and ears.

Honor Him and do not grieve Him.

Ask yourself also whether your goal in your Christian walk is to get as close to sin as possible without consequence or condemnation from God, or how far away from it you can stay in order to honor God.

If the former is your attitude, that needs to be addressed first, before any individual, specific issue, as that sort of mentality is evidence of a heart that is set on itself, which is the source and cause of all kinds of deviance and perverseness in the life of a believer.

In terms of a limit on how much secular music is too much, I think it depends on the kind of music and how it affects the Christian who is listening to it. Sensual indulgence can be addictive, and the pursuit of sensual gratification can interfere with one's appetite for and focus on spiritual health and nourishment. If you find that your music is hindering you from making the best use of the Lord's time and distracting you too much from His concerns, you should reduce your intake.
Ed Sheeran has good songs and I think they are ok.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't really care about sports.

I'm not gonna read all your posts to find out exactly what happened or why and how.
From what i did read, you lost your faith because friends planted seeds of doubt, and now you're depressed and don't have much feelings at all anymore.
This has been going on like this for years now, and you're a seeker on this forum for 2½ years now.
You ask for help and nobody seems to be able to help you.
You try to get closer to God by following rules and laws but it doesn't help.
You do fear God's Judgement and you're afraid of eternal life in hell.

I wish i could help you too, but i don't think i can.

Do you miss your faith you used to have when you were 15?
Are you on medication against depression?
Hi sorry. I think I have lots of posts and it not possible to read it all!

I used to grow up in church and felt like my faith my very real. Then I drifted away after a friend planted doubts and the fire in my heart left.
However I always still worried after where a I would go when I died and I’m the last couple of years I have become more interested again.

When I was 16 I lost my desire to female people. I used to like them a lot and one day it just seemed to vanish and I couldn’t be interested in them anymore. No I like no one it seems. Even people before who I would have liked before I no longer see the same way.
I also kept praying for my feelings to return and they never did. This made me very upset and started to make me go insane. I thought I could be turning gay and since that thought entered me one time it’s hard to get it out of your head even though it is not true. I worry about this a lot. I’m worried that people think that about me since I show no interest in womens.

I also seemed to no look forward to things anymore. I never wanted to do anything and would end up sitting in the house all day everyday. Lots of things that I found exciting and fun were no longer fun - watching football on tv was no fun and I lost my interest to travel the world.

So all in all it is a kind of strange how I am lol. I hope this help you understand.

Upvote 0