How many times have the planets circled the sun?

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I thought that was a trick question. We're 4.5 billion years old so that would be...let me see...divide that number by this one, carry the three...and it's...4.5 billion? Which would be wrong, as...

'All told, the Earth spirals away from the Sun at a rate of about 1.5 cm every year, causing its orbital speed to drop by about 3 nanometers-per-second over that timescale. If you add up all the tiny changes that have occurred over our Solar System’s history, you’ll find that we’re now about 50,000 km farther away in our orbit than we were 4.5 billion years ago, and move at about ~10 meters-per-second slower around the Sun than we did way back when.' Ask Ethan: Does Earth Orbit The Sun More Slowly With Each New Year?

My very rough maths then gives us 4,499,999,999.9997 orbits. We're short of the finish line by just over 300km.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,895.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm still offended that Pluto was kicked out of the planet club. How many times did Pluto revolved around the Sun?

It's hard to tell. It really depends on how long Pluto has been in a 3:2 resonance with Neptune.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
6,026 times.
Remember AV - this is the Physical & Life Sciences Forum. Its a place where we can discuss science in a scientific context without having to argue Biblical interpretations on every thread. This Forum is not for arguments about alternative Biblical interpretations.

You have two other Forums to argue about the Bible vs Science

From the SOP:
Threads started, or responses made, to simply disparage science will be considered off topic to the forum.

Creation and Evolution discussions are off topic to this main forum, and should be started in the sub-forum, Creation & Evolution.

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I thought that was a trick question. We're 4.5 billion years old so that would be...let me see...divide that number by this one, carry the three...and it's...4.5 billion? Which would be wrong, as...

'All told, the Earth spirals away from the Sun at a rate of about 1.5 cm every year, causing its orbital speed to drop by about 3 nanometers-per-second over that timescale. If you add up all the tiny changes that have occurred over our Solar System’s history, you’ll find that we’re now about 50,000 km farther away in our orbit than we were 4.5 billion years ago, and move at about ~10 meters-per-second slower around the Sun than we did way back when.' Ask Ethan: Does Earth Orbit The Sun More Slowly With Each New Year?

My very rough maths then gives us 4,499,999,999.9997 orbits. We're short of the finish line by just over 300km.
Thank goodness you were here to correct the misinformation.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thank goodness you were here to correct the misinformation.
One fact in that link that had me going 'wow' was the fact that the solar wind apparently pushes the planet further away from the sun each year. How far? The width of a proton.

• Wow
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
One fact in that link that had me going 'wow' was the fact that the solar wind apparently pushes the planet further away from the sun each year. How far? The width of a proton.
I read somewhere that the Sun is expanding and we are all going to fry in a bajillion or so years.

If we're also moving away from the sun each year this is good news. It means we'll all be around longer.

I must call my grandkids with the good news. They all seemed to get very depressed when I told them the Sun was our personal Death Star.

This news will cheer them up.

OB

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I read somewhere that the Sun is expanding and we are all going to fry in a bajillion or so years.

If we're also moving away from the sun each year this is good news. It means we'll all be around longer.
I'm not sure there'll be a recognisable 'we'. The time until it happens is twice as long as bacteria have evolved into us. Here's a quite short story by Isaac Asimov that covers what could happen.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I must call my grandkids with the good news. They all seemed to get very depressed when I told them the Sun was our personal Death Star.

This news will cheer them up.

OB
You are going to have to give your grandkids the bad news.
A three second helium flash during the Sun's red giant stage will be the death of us.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,450.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0