How many "Non-Denominational" churches are really Southern Baptist?

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I recall correctly, this trend started back in the 1990s when Church Growth Movement leaders indicated that denominational affiliation in many cases was seen as a liability rather than an asset.

This proved to be particularly so for the Baptists. Even though Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist crew weren't SBC, the fact that they called themselves Baptist became a barrier for SBC pastors and church planters, who received pushback in their communities from people who thought SBC and Westboro were connected.

It's also because about that time people became generally more aware of the specific reason the SBC was formed as a separate denomination in the first place: To allow new Baptists in the slave states to retain their slaves, which was forbidden in the American Baptist Convention.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I started seeing this years ago after the SBC started getting bad press for some of the public debates at their convention. Whenever we have moved, I always look very closely at the website of churches. Usually I find the SBC affiliation mentioned in a corner of their "about us" or "beliefs" section. So far I haven't visited a church and been fooled but if I did not do research it would have easily happened.

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's also because about that time people became generally more aware of the specific reason the SBC was formed as a separate denomination in the first place: To allow new Baptists in the slave states to retain their slaves, which was forbidden in the American Baptist Convention.

True. That might have flown under the radar had not the SBC picked that very moment to issue a "public apology" in hopes of bringing more BIPOC Baptists into the fold...But to dig any deeper into that particular aspect might be beyond the boundaries of the "Non-Denom" board.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Baptists have a reputation of being judgmental and stuffy, so I reckon Non-denominational Christians are people who want to adhere to Baptist beliefs, just without the stigma.

I don't think that being "judgmental and stuffy" is denominational specific, I came from a very stuffy one that was critical of every other denomination.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that being "judgmental and stuffy" is denominational specific, I came from a very stuffy one that was critical of every other denomination.

I'd be more willing to say that "judgmental and stuffy" is more congregation-specific than denomination-specific.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True. That might have flown under the radar had not the SBC picked that very moment to issue a "public apology" in hopes of bringing more BIPOC Baptists into the fold...But to dig any deeper into that particular aspect might be beyond the boundaries of the "Non-Denom" board.

Yeah, I know we don't want to go outside the boundaries, so I'll just say from my recollection it was well above the radar before their public apology along with the trend being discussed here of congregations burying their affiliation.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Baptists have a reputation of being judgmental and stuffy, so I reckon Non-denominational Christians are people who want to adhere to Baptist beliefs, just without the stigma.
Nah. The non-denominational churches that were started by Christians of Baptist backgrounds that I have been to tend to be not as strict as Baptists on a number of issues. The Baptists I've been around will have all the fun they can within a strict framework. The non-denominationals tend to be much more flexible and relaxed when it comes to that framework, without being hedonists.

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I read the link provided by Greg after, it seems that is definitely a big part of if. But also almost a embarrassment about their actual denomination? What I wonder is why have the baptist affiliation at all then? Is there some sort of benefit in keeping it? Financial or otherwise?

IMHO there is some embarrassment about their history, being the pro-slavery church. To me, all of that is irrelevant today, the slave holders and slaves are all dead, and nobody today supports that position.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IMHO there is some embarrassment about their history, being the pro-slavery church. To me, all of that is irrelevant today, the slave holders and slaves are all dead, and nobody today supports that position.

Except their heads stayed in Jim Crow (everyone likes to forget about Jim Crow) until just a few years ago, and the last generation that was raised as children in segregation--and even many of the people who personally fought segregation-- are still running it.

• Agree
Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VCO

Jun 8, 2021
Lincoln, NE
✟17,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
A recent trend among Southern Baptist churches is to cover up their denominational connection. Many people who think they are member of a "non-denominational" church are Southern Baptists without knowing it.

Now you got that 180 degrees backwards. How many Baptists Churches are actually Conservative Evangelical Churches.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Now you got that 180 degrees backwards. How many Baptists Churches are actually Conservative Evangelical Churches.

All Southern Baptist churches are conservative Evangelical churches. It's a conservative Evangelical denomination. That doesn't negate what I said.

Did you read any of Russell Moore's letters that were leaked last week?

"And, indeed, if we wish to compare anecdotal accounts, I could marshal thousands of anecdotes of the people—especially young and minority pastors—that I have spent hours talking into staying in cooperation with the SBC when they want to leave. I cannot tell you how many pastors and leaders have told me that they either keep or wish they could keep the word “Baptist” out of the name of their churches, because they feel ashamed. When asked why they are ashamed, the reasons are not —as some might caricature—the “bold” and “uncompromising” doctrinal witness of Southern Baptists in a “darkening culture.” These are doctrinally orthodox and conservative leaders. They are talking about the sort of thing I am discussing here—and they don’t even know a fraction of a fraction of it." - Russell Moore, in a letter to JD Greear, May 31, 2021

Upvote 0