How many "Non-Denominational" churches are really Southern Baptist?

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A recent trend among Southern Baptist churches is to cover up their denominational connection. Many people who think they are member of a "non-denominational" church are Southern Baptists without knowing it.

A recent case in point is an announcement by J.D. Greear to his church that he was becoming the President of the SBC, and he had to inform the many that didn't know that yes, in fact, it was an SBC church. He admitted that many members were not aware!

The only way to know for sure is to search the SBC website to find a church near the address of your church. You may be surprised by what you find!

Southern Baptist Convention > ChurchSearch

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not just the SBC. There are a fair amount of Church of God that are in a similar naming convention. I personally also know of a couple UMC churches that have recently re-branded and do not use a traditional Methodist service at all.

*edit*
Although, it seems to be most prevalent among SBC churches, but I think that many see it as a way to be a part of a larger organization without sacrificing much in the way of beliefs. The SBC is a big tent organization as it is.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A recent trend among Southern Baptist churches is to cover up their denominational connection. Many people who think they are member of a "non-denominational" church are Southern Baptists without knowing it.

A recent case in point is an announcement by J.D. Greear to his church that he was becoming the President of the SBC, and he had to inform the many that didn't know that yes, in fact, it was an SBC church. He admitted that many members were not aware!

The only way to know for sure is to search the SBC website to find a church near the address of your church. You may be surprised by what you find!

A local 'community church' is actually SBC. Not obvious.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It's not just the SBC. There are a fair amount of Church of God that are in a similar naming convention. I personally also know of a couple UMC churches that have recently re-branded and do not use a traditional Methodist service at all.

*edit*
Although, it seems to be most prevalent among SBC churches, but I think that many see it as a way to be a part of a larger organization without sacrificing much in the way of beliefs. The SBC is a big tent organization as it is.

You make a good point. I was in a recent discussion about the number of Assembly of God churches that don't identify as such in their name. However, to my knowledge, none of them hide the fact that they are AG

That doesn't appear to be the case with the SBC. I hope it's OK to post a link here - The Wartburg Watch

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I've always been fascinated by this. Are there stated reasons the SBC or others do this?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are there stated reasons the SBC or others do this?
Because "non denom" is all the rage now. they get more people in the seats if they ditch their brand name.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
**Everyone, please note this is the Non-denominational forum and check the rules if you are not sure how that pertains to a Community forum.**

Reactions: Gregorikos
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because "non denom" is all the rage now. they get more people in the seats if they ditch their brand name.
Yeah, I read the link provided by Greg after, it seems that is definitely a big part of if. But also almost a embarrassment about their actual denomination? What I wonder is why have the baptist affiliation at all then? Is there some sort of benefit in keeping it? Financial or otherwise?

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

Folks, this is the Non-Denominational forum. Please remember this site rule:

Congregational Forum Restrictions
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum.​

Upvote 0

barefeetonholyground

CF member for 15 years!
Oct 26, 2003
Kitsap County, Washington
✟34,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Never heard of this. I definitely don't consider myself of any denomination besides maybe evangelical or calvinist but really I believe in Jesus as the Son of God and the Savior of the world and that the Bible is the infallible word of God and try to live my life by it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Astroqualia

Born-again Truthseeker
Feb 5, 2019
FL
✟11,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
ADVISOR HAT

Folks, this is the Non-Denominational forum. Please remember this site rule:

Congregational Forum Restrictions
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum.​
So we aren't allowed to edify other believers we believe to be errant? The Bible tells us to do that

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So we aren't allowed to edify other believers we believe to be errant? The Bible tells us to do that
You are nonDenominational. You can debate and teach here.

Any further questions for staff need to be asked in Contact Us.

Upvote 0

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The church I attend was never associated with any denomination, however we have members that were previously associated with various denominations. What amazes me is how little the average Christian today understands about the bible, or statements of faith.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

My wife and I met in such a Methodist church. Recently they decided to go "all in" and begin the process of disaffiliating from the UMC, making them truly non-denominational.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've always been fascinated by this. Are there stated reasons the SBC or others do this?

If I recall correctly, this trend started back in the 1990s when Church Growth Movement leaders indicated that denominational affiliation in many cases was seen as a liability rather than an asset.

This proved to be particularly so for the Baptists. Even though Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist crew weren't SBC, the fact that they called themselves Baptist became a barrier for SBC pastors and church planters, who received pushback in their communities from people who thought SBC and Westboro were connected.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RBPerry

Christian Baby Boomer
Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2013
Northern California
✟86,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
When we moved to the area we now live we attended a few different churches, all non denominational. My first question was their statement of faith, leadership qualifications, most importantly we prayed for guidance as to where the Lord could use us. My belief is what fits one person may not be the right fit for another. As for denominations, I only have issues with the one I was raised in.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If I recall correctly, this trend started back in the 1990s when Church Growth Movement leaders indicated that denominational affiliation in many cases was seen as a liability rather than an asset.

This proved to be particularly so for the Baptists. Even though Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist crew weren't SBC, the fact that they called themselves Baptist became a barrier for SBC pastors and church planters, who received pushback in their communities from people who thought SBC and Westboro were connected.
I suspected it was something along these lines.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When we moved to the area we now live we attended a few different churches, all non denominational. My first question was their statement of faith, leadership qualifications, most importantly we prayed for guidance as to where the Lord could use us. My belief is what fits one person may not be the right fit for another. As for denominations, I only have issues with the one I was raised in.

And that's how it should be done.

Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟73,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

*edit*

Baptists have a reputation of being judgmental and stuffy, so I reckon Non-denominational Christians are people who want to adhere to Baptist beliefs, just without the stigma.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

actionsub

Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've got a slightly different take on this. Over the years, I've been involved with two UMC churches.
One is a megachurch that is leaving the UMC and becoming more openly charismatic ala Bethel, Hillsongs, etc.
The other started its life as a truly non-denominational church in the 1940s. When it came time for them to construct a church building, they were having difficulty getting financing as a non-denom, so they decided to affiliate with whatever denomination would assist them with funding construction. The Baptists, for whatever reason, turned them down. The Pentecostal groups didn't have any money either (though this might have been the best fit for most of the founding members). The Methodist Church said "sure, come on in"...so they are UMC though many of the members are finding it somewhat uncomfortable right now due to the current troubles. They're waiting to see what happens with the possible formation of a more conservative Methodist denomination.

Upvote 0