How Many Children Live in Your Neighborhood?

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We have tons of kids here. It's an older neighborhood and the kids of the original owners are grown now (college-age kids next door, for example) but there are still plenty here.

On our cul-de-sac, we have 8 houses. We have two little kids (6 and 3), an 11 year old, three 13-14 year olds, a 16 year old, and a 17 year old.

Go off our block into the rest of the neighborhood, and you better be driving slowly or you're going to be taking out a bunch of skateboards, bikes, and big wheels.

Upvote 0

Amélie Unbound

Just doing the best I can.
May 11, 2005
Canada
✟4,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There aren't a lot of kids around here. Our building is in a neighbourhood with a lot of old people. There are some kids in the building, but I'm really only aware of them in the summertime when they're out playing and screaming in the courtyard all day.

Upvote 0

fuzzymel

Contributor
Sep 25, 2006
Not a clue
✟15,527.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I live in a row of large victorian era terraced houses. There are probably about 25 houses and some (like mine) have been converted into flats. I think there is one family here and they have 4 children at last count (when the wife is my age that is a scary amount of children).

Upvote 0

bluebug83

Jan 5, 2007
✟8,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I live on a cul-de-sac of 7 houses and I think the "mayor" of our cul-de-sac said we had 16 kids when he was trying to get us to change our trash service. (Something about everyone going with the trash service because only having one trash truck go through the neighborhood was good for the kids...but I think he just wanted his two free months' worth of trash collection) I think that is a bit of an overestimate, counting grandkids of people who live here that have grown kids. I think there are only two or three of the houses that actually have kids living there 24/7. Our neighborhood is 30 years old, so most of the people who live here are old retired folk who are long past the childbearing years. The only ones with kids are the ones who have moved here in recent years.

Upvote 0

AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
0 until very recently, now there's 1 baby.

I live in a really unusual condominium, and it isn't exactly child-friendly by nature of location and architecture. No safe places for kids to play outside, for example. It's definitely not "the burbs"!

The couple who had a baby will probably move by the time the kid is a toddler, to the suburbs.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
What counts as a neighbourhood? Your own street, or the area around it too?

I've never counted them. Across us live two kids, next to them 2 or 3, and in the rest of the street there are a lot of children. I think that if I lived in a less childed area I would go out more often. :scratch: I mean, I hate this village even without the children, but I'm the sort of person who would take detours to avoid groups of children (even toddlers scare me, everything in groups scares me - and 2 is a group. I don't mind individual children), and I really should go out more often. :scratch:

Upvote 0

cherryblossom03

I am Batman!
Aug 7, 2007
Fort Campbell, KY
✟8,430.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I live in on post housing and it's a townhouse. There's about 24 units in our little area. We are 1 of 2 couples that doesn't have kids. Everyone else has at least 1. Our houses are designed for couples who have no kids or only 1. They are 2 bedrooms, if you have anymore than 2 kids they give you a bigger house.

Upvote 0

dbhost

Jan 9, 2007
League City, Texas
✟15,702.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've never thought about it. But there are MANY children in my neighborhood / subdivision. I would safely say that persons under 18 years of age are at least 1/3 of the population of my subdivision. Sure there are lots of folks w/o children, or empty nesters, but there is no shortage of families with 3 or more children around either. I would say within a 5 house radius there is...
2 houses down, Single mom with teenage daughter. House next to them, Early 30s couple with 4 children. The house next to them, older couple, empty nest sort of. 2 grandchildren that are VERY fequently at Grandma and Grandpa's house. (With the big wheel in the street of course...)
Going the other way, two houses down Late 40s couple with 2 teenagers, next to them, late 30s couple with 2 kids, next to them, couple with young children. Not sure how many...

Going up the street that empties into my yard, there are.
House 1 3 children, house 2 4 children, house 3 none, house 4 unknown, never see them.... House 5 1 child.
Other side of the street.
House 1 none, house 2 none unless you count the owner (he can be kind of childish) house 3 2 kids, house 4 2 kids, house 5 4 kids...

So yeah, you see, the school taxes from my subdivision and heavily used...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rembrandtfan

He's here, the Phantom of the Opera
Jul 18, 2007
La La Land
✟9,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I lived in a mobile home park up until about five years ago, and there were a lot of kids, many with innattentive parents. They would dart out in front of me while I was driving, some of them intentionally, because they would be looking straight at me and smirk while they were doing it. If I had know where they had lived, I guess the thing to do would have been to tell their parents, but I doubt it would have done any good. It probably would have fallen on deaf ears.

Now I live in a subdivision, and there are kids, but they don't do anything that bothers me. Though, there once was some teenagers who kept stealing all the street signs, which infuriated me. Especially when my car caught on fire and the fire truck had trouble finding my house because there were no street signs. Fortunately, whoever was doing it got caught, and no street signs have been stolen in almost a year.

Upvote 0