Significance of naming the person's home for Church gatherings?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greet the brothers in Laodicea, as well as Nympha and the church that meets at her house. Colossians 4:15

3 Greet Prisca and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, 4 who have risked their lives for me. Not only I but all the churches of the Gentiles are grateful to them. 5 Greet also the church that meets at their house. Romans 16:3-5

And when he had realized this, he went to the house of Mary the mother of John, also called Mark, where many people had gathered together and were praying Acts 12:12

Several times in the New Testament people are name dropped as the meeting location of the church in that area. I'm curious if there is any special significance of this or is it just a way to help the people of that time identify what gathering was being referenced?

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Most likely. These houses might have been owned by some of the wealthier Christians who would have some extra room for hosting services. The epistles were copied and read in different communities so it would also be a way of showing the unity of the early ekklesia.

Upvote 0