How does the bread turn into the body/flesh of Christ?

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Do you believe their explanation?
Yes. The substance changes but the accidents (physical reality) remains the same. Touch, smell, taste, etc does not change. WHAT IT IS changes.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
"This is my body" is a figure of speech called a synecdoche. Substituting a part for the whole. The "bread" as the demonstrable pronoun is a part which is substituted of the whole of Christ's body. There is no change in material substance. Faith believes the bread is the body.

We just trust in the words of Scripture the bread is the body. Scriptures ask us to believe much that is difficult. But Scripture being a supernatural book as God's relevation, this should not be too hard for Christians to believe.
Read John 6. He made himself abundantly clear about eating his body and drinking his blood. It was NOT symbolic.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟107,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Read John 6. He made himself abundantly clear about eating his body and drinking his blood. It was NOT symbolic.
I reject John 6 as eucharistic. These are words about faith and trust in Jesus for spiritual food which eventually find their fulfillment in the Lord's Supper but aren't directly talking about it.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,995.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. The substance changes but the accidents (physical reality) remains the same. Touch, smell, taste, etc does not change. WHAT IT IS changes.
Let proposition P1 = The physical bread turns into the physical flesh of Christ.

True?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The physical bread turns into the non-physical substance flesh of Christ?
The substance changes, the physical (accidents) remain the same. It's the doctrine of Transubstantiation borrowed from Aristotelian philosophy.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,995.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The substance changes, the physical (accidents) remain the same. It's the doctrine of Transubstantiation borrowed from Aristotelian philosophy.
So, the physical bread turns into the non-physical flesh of Christ?

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
So, the physical bread turns into the non-physical flesh of Christ?
No. Christ is present under the appearance of bread and wine.

It's a Sacred Mystery not meant to be fully comprehended by us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,995.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. Christ is present under the appearance of bread and wine.

It's a Sacred Mystery not meant to be fully comprehended by us.
So what do you understand? Write one statement concerning this mystery that you do understand.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You believe that the physical bread turns into the physical flesh of Christ when it is scientifically testable and no scientists have ever confirmed that is true?
Yes, the Church says it is a mystery. It's better to consider it as a spiritual transformation and a mystery that simply a "symbol" of the body and blood of our Lord. We consider this based on the Gospel which affirms that "this IS my flesh and blood," not "This is a symbol/representation of my blood. I am in the camp that believes that The Gospel is the written word of God himself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There is no scientific measurable evidence that it happens at all. That's how they call it a mystery.
Exactly, there is only spiritual evidence which members of the Church that Christ established with his Apostles with St Peter as The Rock would spread through the entire world. Science is great for things like medical treatment, technology, and mathematics etc. but as a member of the original body of Christ we find useless as it relates to spiritual matters.
Protestants kind of chose their own ways to interpret what Christ said in the thousands of different denominations with different beliefs but as for the original universal (catholic) churches, what Christ says is taken littoral and not symbolically As in the statement "This IS my body and blood" and not "This symbolizes my body and blood." How that is accomplished science may never know the same way that they may never know how Father God created light and the laws of physics. I mean where sis that come from? Well, God the same way that transubstantiation is created by God. Most people understand this when they are confirmed into the Church that Jesus created with his Apostles. It can be an overwhelming feeling felt when one takes God's physical body into their physical body. I don't expect anyone to understand who hasn't felt this.

Asking questions is a great way to start so I applaud your curiosity on the topic.

Upvote 0