May 29, 2005
Leicester, UK
Visit site
✟10,760.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How long was it before you admitted to your friends and family that you were involved with someone?

Lisa and I were in love and an item way back in the beginning of July last year, but didn't declare our relationship till we made it "official" in late September, so that's almost 3 months of keeping it hush hush... It was fun, and having our friends realise something was up was entertaining. As with all these things there were a select few close friends who knew right from the outset. Keeping things in God's time is important to us.

catofhope

Cathy loves her husband Randy
Dec 19, 2006
✟29,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pretty much the same day.
We connected here on CF.
So people knew right away.
I also told people in my RL.

First we were friends.
Then we admitted to having crushes on each other.
And then we had our first official cyber date Jan 23, 2007.
People knew of each step of the relationship as it happened.

Upvote 0

miss_klara

Old Married Woman
Apr 28, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟2,751.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I told about four close friends the night we decided to start dating. He broke it to one girl, who had a huge crush on him, within the next couple of days so that she would hear it from him, rather than on the grape vine. And I told my youth pastor pretty quickly, because Chris was one of my leaders who I was overseeing at youth group. Everyone else, we mostly just let them notice!! That was heaps of fun... having people ask "Are you and Chris...??" and being able to tell them "Yes!!!!!"

Upvote 0

Butterfly

Tins the Chocoholic
Apr 4, 2004
Hugging a cat and eating chocolate
✟105,420.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
How long was it before you admitted to your friends and family that you were involved with someone?

Lisa and I were in love and an item way back in the beginning of July last year, but didn't declare our relationship till we made it "official" in late September, so that's almost 3 months of keeping it hush hush... It was fun, and having our friends realise something was up was entertaining. As with all these things there were a select few close friends who knew right from the outset. Keeping things in God's time is important to us.

Wow like my story is ditto. Ken and I met (and fell in love) in July of last year, we kept it silent except to express people who knew from watching us until September 30th, when we made our relationship "official" lol so we could actually say boyfriend and girlfriend. And yes it was fun watching the rumors spread. He writes in a blog and several people read it, well it was FUN for him to give little hints here and there and have people wonder and prod. And when he actually made it official, he put a very tiny segment at the bottom of it just saying "At the beginning of the day I didn't have a girlfriend. Now I do." The funny thing is, we just KNEW we were for eachother for life, so he "proposed" to me randomly, catching me off guard, before he even asked me to be his girlfriend. So...for a month or so I called him my boyfriend but that was way too immature for the relationship, so we called eachother fiance. In January he gave me the ring and our wedding is September 8th :)

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
well a couple of our mutual friends actually figured it out before we even admitted our feelings to one another that there was something going on between us - so there was no real period in which our relationship was a secret:p. even once we decided we were official i don't remember ever hiding it from anyone. I think i was just too excited to be in a relationship with my guy i couldn't keep my mouth shut :holy:

Upvote 0

Lia

Be Thou My Vision
Jan 12, 2004
Greeley, CO
✟16,206.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My closest friends and parents, especially my mom knew even before we were a couple (I'm super close with mom) so they knew right along. On the other hand - my extended family and other friends found out latter like two months or even more. I was pretty open to people about telling people that we're bf-gf but my boyfriend is more reserved and he has his reasons so we took longer to 'go public'.

Upvote 0

juzzi

God always comes through
Aug 21, 2003
Gloucester
Visit site
✟10,579.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Conservative
Our parents knew that we were heading towards becoming a couple from the get-go, when we were spending a lot of time together and just getting to know each other better. I'm not sure how much he let his friends know and when, but I kept things a bit hush hush for a few weeks from my friends, until I knew that it was a sure thing :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunshinejennii

Pierced, Purple, Hippy, Happy, Laughing Lass
Mar 20, 2004
Uni=Birmingham, England and Home=Leicester (Oadby)
✟5,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well all my close girlfriends at uni knew before I did that he liked me! Apparently he text 3 girls to say "I've just realised I really like Jen, what do you think" to which the unanimous opinion was something along the lines of "well she fancies most people so you're in with a fair chance!"

anyway...

I rang my mum the night we arranged our first date to tell her and ask her opinion and then the next night while on our date also text several friends asking them to pray for guidance.

I told my close home friends the day after we got together because I couldn't deny the huge smile on my face!

Didn't tell my parents it was official for a few weeks, we knew we were together but kept it quiet to be on the safe side.

Didn't tell uni friends straight away, we spent the first 3weeks apart and decided to wait till afterwards when we'd both had some thinking time in case we changed our minds. I think it was pretty obvious though from all the comments on facebook! We actually changed our facebook status's after a month just as we got back to uni, so the first time we saw friends again we'd gone from not knowing there was a mutual attraction to being in a committed relationship!

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My closest friends and parents, especially my mom knew even before we were a couple (I'm super close with mom) so they knew right along. On the other hand - my extended family and other friends found out latter like two months or even more. I was pretty open to people about telling people that we're bf-gf but my boyfriend is more reserved and he has his reasons so we took longer to 'go public'.

I can relate to your boyfriend being reserved. I would be like, "Uh do you think we could wait a while before we announce this to the entire world?" I feel that getting into a relationship is a lot more serious than telling everyone you know the moment it happens. I would certainly want to keep it on the low down for quite a while, probably waiting a few weeks. But that's just me.

Upvote 0

Stolic

Apr 29, 2007
England
✟7,815.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I'm new to this site, so please bear with me. I am only just starting a relationship after corresponding via email, then progressing on to phone and text. Yesterday was officially the "1st date" it was comfortable, and we plan to meet again in a couple of weeks. As it is very early, I don't really want to go public for now (well not outside of cyberspace anyway :) ) - any other newbies out there in the same position? Also any experienced couples out htere to give pointers please!

Upvote 0

Paddington

My life laid bear (geddit?!?) before Jesus
Dec 21, 2005
Nottingham
✟15,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Me and my boyfriend made our relationship 'official' after about 2 months of mutual affection. My friends found out the day after we made it 'official', my mum found out 2 weeks or so later when I asked her to take me to visit him :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums