How long until the Democrats own the state of corona in the USA?

How long until the Democratic Party can be made responsible for the development of the US pandemic?

• From day one of Bidens presidency

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • After a month

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • 2-3 months

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • 4-6 months

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • 6-12 months

• > 1 year

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Never

• Other (please clarify in your response)

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I voted 4-6 months.

To clarify, they shouldn't be held responsible for pre-existing trajectories due to past oversights.

However, if the trajectories haven't "changed course" by summer, they'll need to explain why their plan hasn't produced the results they were projecting.

Granted, they're coming in at a great strategic time with regards to the pandemic. With vaccinations on the rise, it'd be hard to have worse numbers in June than we have right now, as by at that point in time, there were be many folks who have a measure of natural immunity due to previous infection, and in all likelihood, we'll have a 25-35% vaccination rate by that point in time, even if the pace doesn't pick up dramatically. (in the first month, most states already have 3% of the populations vaccinated, and a handful of states are nearing 6%), which even if the pace doesn't change at all, and we say for the sake of keeping it simple, states average an additional 4% of the population getting vaccinated each month, that'd be another ~20% of the population vaccinated by June (in addition to the 3-4% that already is). But obviously, the pace is going to pick up in the next few months as the supply chains get more polished, and the logistics are more nailed down.

Just by those two factors alone, things should be looking better by June.

If we get to a place by June where even with 40% of people having immunity (either by infection or vaccination), and we still see the same daily trends in terms of new cases, deaths, and hospitalizations that we're seeing now, state and federal officials may have some explaining to do.

Some states are still getting hit hard, but others have already started trending back in the right direction with regards to many of the metrics.

For instance, my own home state of Ohio.
upload_2021-1-18_12-37-47.png

...and the hospitalization trends have improved quite a bit
upload_2021-1-18_12-39-2.png

Inpatient patient count has gone from 4404 down to 3686 (a reduction of 18%)
ICU has gone from 1071 down to 946 (a reduction of 12%)

...and it should be noted, that the 1/4 - 1/17 date range is the time we'd actually be expecting slightly more inflated numbers as that's right in the "sweet spot" for when we'd expect to see those numbers jumping due to New Years gatherings. So without the holidays, the numbers probably would've dropped by even more than 18%/12% in that time period.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You have an odd and restricted view of responsibility! Do you seriously mean to say that it would be responsible of Biden to make no preparations for dealing with the pandemic before he takes office? I think you're winding me up. :)
No, I never said that. It’s responsible to make plans. But he’s not responsible for the outcome until Jan 20.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I’m sure within a day or two of the inauguration the right wing press will suddenly start running lots of stories about the mass deaths and spread of Coronavirus. They will do everything in their power to tie it to Biden in their followers minds.

In a few years we’ll be hearing about how it was under Biden that it got really bad. Just like how Obama is now apparently responsible for the collapse of the economy back in 08.

• Agree
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I’m sure within a day or two of the inauguration the right wing press will suddenly start running lots of stories about the mass deaths and spread of Coronavirus. They will do everything in their power to tie it to Biden in their followers minds.

In a few years we’ll be hearing about how it was under Biden that it got really bad. Just like how Obama is now apparently responsible for the collapse of the economy back in 08.
How is that relevant to the OP?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

And when will YOU hold Biden responsible?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I voted 2-3 months, but it'll be something of a mixed bag. Certain things they ought to take responsibility for earlier than other things. Rising infection rates are probably out of their hands for a while, without significant buy in from state officials and the lying right-wing pundits who've heretofore pooh-poohed the whole thing. But I imagine they ought to be able to turn the tide more quickly on logistical challenges like vaccine distribution that the Trump administration has been content to leave to the states.

The democractic party is the party of finger pointing, while denying any culpability for their own actions so I figure they will never, not one time, own any responsibility for anything they do, or fail to do.

Refresh my memory on how Republicans are taking responsibility for the storming of the Capitol. It's all BLM/Antifa, right?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,323.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
So.. now that Biden's inauguration is only hours away, I'd like to pose a question to you guys.

Obviously, the greatest challenge currently facing the world, and the USA in particular, is the corona pandemic. It will take months, maybe until next winter until vaccination will have any real impact on the trajectory. With control of both chambers, as well as the presidency, democrats have a wide array of possibilities to combat this pandemic.

While I doubt that anyone would argue that they should be faulted for what happened before they took over, I am already guessing that there will be some debate on when they should be. After all, the democratic process takes time, and there is a lag between implementing measures and them being statistically detectable.

I think we should do this discussion now, rather than in a couple of months.

And mind you, this is obviously only a discussion about the federal level responses.

From day one. People will be making excuses for him for a couple months but if he is any kind of leader, and let us hope he is, then he owns this as soon as he takes charge. I personally do not expect miracles but I darn well expect him to have a better showing then Trump. That bar is pretty low already.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
From day one. People will be making excuses for him for a couple months but if he is any kind of leader, and let us hope he is, then he owns this as soon as he takes charge. I personally do not expect miracles but I darn well expect him to have a better showing then Trump. That bar is pretty low already.

Ezra Klein had a pretty heated take on this subject today:

Opinion | Biden’s Covid-19 Plan Is Maddeningly Obvious

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I would say 3-4 months, because even if Biden does everything right, trumps been so incompetent and left everything in such a huge mess it will take months to get things right most likley.
Why isn’t Biden responsible from day 1? Didn’t he run so he could be in charge?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why isn’t Biden responsible from day 1? Didn’t he run so he could be in charge?

Some things take a while to correct. He's responsible from day 1 for the things his administration is or is not doing; he's not necessarily responsible for the effects measured on the ground. For example, if 5,000 people die of covid his second day in office, those are obviously not his responsibility since their illness and treatment preceded his inauguration by a considerable amount of time.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So.. now that Biden's inauguration is only hours away, I'd like to pose a question to you guys.

Obviously, the greatest challenge currently facing the world, and the USA in particular, is the corona pandemic. It will take months, maybe until next winter until vaccination will have any real impact on the trajectory. With control of both chambers, as well as the presidency, democrats have a wide array of possibilities to combat this pandemic.

While I doubt that anyone would argue that they should be faulted for what happened before they took over, I am already guessing that there will be some debate on when they should be. After all, the democratic process takes time, and there is a lag between implementing measures and them being statistically detectable.

I think we should do this discussion now, rather than in a couple of months.

And mind you, this is obviously only a discussion about the federal level responses.

In terms of new infections -- whether the weekly average number of new infections are rising or falling compared to the average of the previous weeks -- the lag between any major new policy and seeing it reflected in the running average of new cases is around 1-2 weeks later.

But mostly people have been doing mask wearing in response to their local conditions they learn of in the local news.

In state after state, people are responding to local crises of their local regional hospitals being filled up by more people then beginning to wear masks.

While some people wore masks from the start, many did not.
It's like people have to hear about local deaths before a really high % will wear masks when they should.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Some things take a while to correct. He's responsible from day 1 for the things his administration is or is not doing; he's not necessarily responsible for the effects measured on the ground. For example, if 5,000 people die of covid his second day in office, those are obviously not his responsibility since their illness and treatment preceded his inauguration by a considerable amount of time.
It’s on his watch.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It’s on his watch.

we didn't let trump take credit for stuff in his first year that were from Obama, were not going to let you blame Biden for something he couldn't effect. The people dying for the next month or so are from when Trump was president.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
we didn't let trump take credit for stuff in his first year that were from Obama, were not going to let you blame Biden for something he couldn't effect. The people dying for the next month or so are from when Trump was president.
The issue, though, is responsibility for the pandemic. If you want to be the boss, you have to take the good with the bad.

Upvote 0