Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
jamesrwright3 said:
I think it's different here though
Gulf War 1 did not directly involve Israel and I think that was a little bit of paranoia

Yes, actually, Israel was involved. They were subject to nightly Scud attacks from Iraq, and were on the verge of attacking until they were talked down by the US and allies. A whole bunch of civilians were killed. They were definitely involved.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

charmtrap said:
Yes, actually, Israel was involved. They were subject to nightly Scud attacks from Iraq, and were on the verge of attacking until they were talked down by the US and allies. A whole bunch of civilians were killed. They were definitely involved.

I was talking more about being directly involved i.e. a direct war on Israel. Everyone knew Saddam was just trying to cause trouble (Cause tension between us and the Arab partners) and really wasn't trying to take Israel on directly as is occuring now.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I voted "Beyond 2 Years" because I honestly don't see it happening within the next 2 years. However, nobody knows the day or the hour so it could happen tonight. Nobody knows for sure.

Upvote 0

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
Below is a historical interpretagion of the Battle of Armageddon:

Although the references may pertain generally to World War I, they also have a specific significance to the Holy Land. Except for a relatively brief period during the Crusades, the Holy Land had been under the control of Islam since the Umayyids had taken it over in the 7th century AD. The end of Islamic control of the Holy Land paved the way for the creation of the modern state of Israel, which had been prophesied in the Old Testament, and has been associated with the coming of the Promised One in Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Armageddon is also a reference to a physical place - the hill (Har in Hebrew) of Megiddo. It is located southeast of Mt. Carmel overlooking the Jizreel Valley, opposite Nazareth. It lies at the junction of two ancient trade routes, where the flow of trade between Egypt and Mesopotamia crossed the route from Turkey to the Arabian Peninsula.

Naturally, it was the scene of many battles throughout history. British forces, moving northward into the Holy Land from Egypt, were forced to follow that ancient route in order to re-capture the Galilee.

World War I was different from all previous wars. It was a world war, involving the "kings of the whole world" [SIZE=-1](v. 14)[/SIZE]. With tremendous advances in the size and power of artillery, its launching was like lightning and thunder, while its impact was like an earthquake. With the advent of powerful warships, and airplanes with bombs from the sky, there was no island nor mountain to which one could flee for safety. Consider, then, the accuracy of John's vision in verses 18 to 21: "And there were flashes of lightning, voices, and peals of thunder, and a great earthquake such as had never been seen since men were on the earth, so great was that earthquake ... And every island fled away, and no mountains were to be found; and great hailstones, heavy as a hundredweight, dropped on men from heaven, till they cursed God for the plague of the hail, so fearful was that plague." A hundredweight (or a "talent" in the King James version) is estimated to be 113 lbs., by current measure. The weight of the bombs that the airplanes dropped during the battle for the Holy Land in World War I was 112 lbs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Machjo

Veteran
Oct 29, 2004
✟2,681.00
Faith
Other Religion
Vylo said:
Considering the number of times the world was supposed to end, it's safe to play the odds and say never :p.

But hey, vilo. Let's get phylosophical about this. Just to be different. Just for fun. If we consider that every end muct precede a beginning, then naturally a beginning must comeafter an end. So would it not be possible tha the Battle of Armageddon might have already occurred a long time ago, yet people missed it and are still awaiting it when the whole thing is essentially over?

Hey, after all, there was already one war over Mt. Megiddo in WWI.

Hey, it's over.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Uphill Battle said:
hnnn... wrongly so.

armageddon
occurs only in Rev. 16:16 (R.V., "Har-Magedon"), as symbolically designating the
place where the "battle of that great day of God Almighty" (ver. 14) shall be
fought. The word properly means the "mount of Megiddo." It is the scene of the
final conflict between Christ and Antichrist.

Calling anything else Armageddon, would be wrong.

People use words for different things and new meanings are absorbed into the langage.

My suggestion is that you find a way to deal with it because that's how langages work.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/armageddon

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Machjo said:
But hey, vilo. Let's get phylosophical about this. Just to be different. Just for fun. If we consider that every end muct precede a beginning, then naturally a beginning must comeafter an end. So would it not be possible tha the Battle of Armageddon might have already occurred a long time ago, yet people missed it and are still awaiting it when the whole thing is essentially over?

Hey, after all, there was already one war over Mt. Megiddo in WWI.

Hey, it's over.
Still safe to bet on never. No one gets bragging rights if I'm wrong :).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
The Euphrates recently dried up in Iraq, so the Battle of Ar Mageddon is next. It was dry on 9/11 and was still dry when we invaded Iraq, so either event can be said to fulfill prophecy by preparing the way for the Battle of Ar Mageddon.

The leaders of Iran and North Korea are scary, and appear to be two of the demon possessed kings east of the Euphrates who start the coming world war. Within 6 months to a year they will probably have nuclear weapons. In the meantime, the US probably won't intervene (other than threaten sanctions) because our military is bogged down in Iraq.

Barry

Upvote 0

hiplove79

Jun 13, 2006
Oklahoma
✟8,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
zoziw said:
A book I read in the early 90's said that the rapture would occur no sooner than 1997 and no later than 2003.

So I vote -3 to -9 years.

I missed it!

Well I didn't vote, because I couldn't. It could happen anytime God is ready, me thinks.

Upvote 0