How is this not a contradiction?

Rik Brooks

Non-denominational with strong Baptist leanings.
Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2015
✟67,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
U don't mean to be contentious but U have an issue.

In exodus 16:12 God promised quail in the evening and bread in the morning and delivered in the bread but later in numbers we find them complaining about no meat! What happened to the promised quail?

Moses said, "this will happen when the Lord gives you meat to eat in the evening,and in the morning bread to be fully satisfied"

but this is the last time we hear about quail until numbers 11! What am I missing?

Rik Brooks

Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2015
✟67,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

In exodus 16:12 God promised quail in the evening and bread in the morning and delivered in the bread but later in numbers we find them complaining about no meat! What happened to the promised quail?

Moses said, "this will happen when the Lord gives you meat to eat in the evening,and in the morning bread to be fully satisfied"

but this is the last time we hear about quail until numbers 11! What am I missing?

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

It's mentioned in the next verse!

Ex 16:12 "I have heard the complaints of the children of Israel. Speak to them, saying, ‘At twilight you shall eat meat, and in the morning you shall be filled with bread. And you shall know that I am the LORD your God.’"
13 So it was that quails came up at evening and covered the camp, and in the morning the dew lay all around the camp."

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

It's in the next verse!

Ex 16:12 "I have heard the complaints of the children of Israel. Speak to them, saying, ‘At twilight you shall eat meat, and in the morning you shall be filled with bread. And you shall know that I am the LORD your God.’"
13 ¶ So it was that quails came up at evening and covered the camp, and in the morning the dew lay all around the camp.

Upvote 0

Rik Brooks

Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2015
✟67,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's in the next verse!

13 ¶ So it was that quails came up at evening and covered the camp, and in the morning the dew lay all around the camp.

Gotcha but did they have quail every day or just that once? Because in numbers we hear them complaining about no meat.

Who will give us meat to eat?... There is nothing at all to be seen but this manna!

Ok, what happened to the quail?

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Gotcha but did they have quail every day or just that once? Because in numbers we hear them complaining about no meat.

Who will give us meat to eat?... There is nothing at all to be seen but this manna!

He didn't promise quail every day - so no contradiction.

In fact given what happened after they ate the quail, they probably wouldn't have eaten it again anyhow.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have read it explained that the event in Exodus was a one night event. The text does not say the quail will be continuing, but the text continues to speak of manna in detail. So far as I am aware it does not talk more about quail until Numbers which was around 2 years later. Another explanation is that the story is not literal and is meant to teach us lessons about God in his different manners, angry in Numbers and providing in both. In that case the stories were written at different times and melded together in the scriptures.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

They ate it till it came outta their ears. Then there were consequences in eating the very quail they demanded. It was, in essence, a curse to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As others said, I have read it explained that the event in Exodus was a one night event. The text does not say the quail will be continuing, but the text continues to speak of manna in detail. So far as I am aware it does not talk more about quail until Numbers which was around 2 years later. Another explanation is that the story is not literal and is meant to teach us lessons about God in his different manners, angry in Numbers and providing in both. In that case the stories were written at different times and melded together in the scriptures.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exodus (after Sinai), Leviticus and Numbers are not sequential back to back. They kinda run parallel with each other chronologically.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Rik Brooks

Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2015
✟67,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have read it explained that the event in Exodus was a one night event. The text does not say the quail will be continuing, but the text continues to speak of manna in detail. So far as I am aware it does not talk more about quail until Numbers which was around 2 years later. Another explanation is that the story is not literal and is meant to teach us lessons about God in his different manners, angry in Numbers and providing in both. In that case the stories were written at different times and melded together in the scriptures.

Thank you for your answer. I think I will have to accept that answer on faith. If the quail was a one time thing then why wasn't the manna? I feel like I'm being such a pest but this doesn't make sense! Is it the scientist in me that is tripping me up? Why doesn't the bible say, "after that day the quail never returned but the manna continued for 40 years?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you for your answer. I think I will have to accept that answer on faith. If the quail was a one time thing then why wasn't the manna? I feel like I'm being such a pest but this doesn't make sense! Is it the scientist in me that is tripping me up? Why doesn't the bible say, "after that day the quail never returned but the manna continued for 40 years?

Manna was God's provision, by His inexplicable grace, to the Israelites. Quail wasn't. By rejecting God's provision for them, and in essence, spitting it back in His face, they were spurning God, and backbiting His very hand that was feeding them.

Quail was not a "blessing" to them, nor meant to be. It was a judgement against them. After the consequences of the quail incident, it is most likely that the Israelites would never want to see or touch quail again. Ever.

The manna DID continue, until it was no longer needed. It is written when the manna discontinued.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,484.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
Two threads with identical OPs have been merged.
Apologies for any confusion.​
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think that it was just that one time until the Numbers 11 context ...

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Num 11:32 And the people stood up all that day, and all that night, and all the next day, and they gathered the quails: he that gathered least gathered ten homers: and they spread them all abroad for themselves round about the camp.

36 hours of gathering by who knows how many people...that's a lot of quails. Plus the least gathered was 10 donkey loads by one person...can you image what the largest gathering was?

And of course they would only slaughter what they needed and would keep the rest. That's a re-newable resource whereas the manna was not.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
They ate it till it came outta their ears. Then there were consequences in eating the very quail they demanded. It was, in essence, a curse to them.
Must have buried a plethora of dead
But while the meat was still between their teeth, before it was chewed, the wrath of the LORD was aroused against the people, and the LORD struck the people with a very great plague. So he called the name of that place Kibroth Hattaavah, because there they buried the people who had yielded to craving" (Numbers 11:31-34).
Reminds me of Dale's duck call commercial.........

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0