How important are differences in English translations?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Another poster linked to a 1200 page dissertation on KJV onlyism. I had some time last night and went through it a goodly bit. It turned out to be a rather long winded non sequitur.

How much difference do you suppose English translations of the bible make in the grand scheme of things?

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very little, in the end. There are certainly some important differences, but in the end they all pretty much have a good presentation and translation of salvation through Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Another poster linked to a 1200 page dissertation on KJV onlyism. I had some time last night and went through it a goodly bit. It turned out to be a rather long winded non sequitur.

How much difference do you suppose English translations of the bible make in the grand scheme of things?

I don't think much difference. There are always particular differences, but the overall proclamation is there in most, if not all, translations.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If you are following the fathers, things can be sorted out no matter what translation you use. Granted, all translations do have their biases, but that's not anything unconquerable.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I believe the Bible existed perfectly in the Hebrew (OT), Greek (NT) (During the time that the Greek was a world language). I believe the Latin was the next language that the Holy Scriptures were preserved in perfectly when Latin was the world language. Then in 1900, English was full in bloom as being a world language (See this article here) and the apocrypha was removed with the Cambridge Edition of the KJV. This was also a time when the printing process had been perfected, and when there was a standardization of grammar and spelling. Before 1900, the Scriptures existed perfectly in the Latin language. So there has always been an unbroken line of God's Word existing perfectly in some language (While it may have existed imperfectly in other translations). I recommend people to use the KJV (circa 1900 Cambridge Edition) as their final word of authority and use Modern Translations only as a means to help us understand what the King James says. For we do not know Biblical Hebrew, and Biblical Greek because they are dead languages that are so far in the past. At least with 1600's English, we have an idea of what it is saying based on our current Modern English. Psalms 12:6-7 says that God's words are pure words and that they are preserved for all generations forever. Is the Lord our God the God of the dead, or of the living? I believe God speaks to us in our language perfectly today. How else can the poor man be rich in faith according to James 2:5? Does the poor rich man have to go into debt at a Bible school to learn the original languages to understand the Bible? Surely not.

Jesus said, "beware of the scribes."

The scribes are those who "tran-SCRIBE" the Law or the Holy Scriptures. They write down and make copies or translate it into another language. The scholar of our day is the scribe because they interpret what God's Word says. Jesus said to beware of them. Understanding God's Word is not in the wisdom of men like at a Bible school, but it is by being taught by the Spirit and by comparing spiritual things with spiritual (i.e. comparing Scripture, with Scripture) (See: 1 Corinthians 2:13). For we received the Word not as the words of men (infallible words or words that have errors in them), but we received them as the very words of God (that are divine and perfect and without error) (See: 1 Thessalonians 2:13).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you are looking for evidences that prove that God's Word is perfect and divine, check out this blogger article I created a while back:

Love Branch: Evidences for the Word of God

Note:

Yes, there are evidences that back up the KJV even being divine in origin.
Please carefully check out all the resources in the article.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Given the average "study" of scripture by Christians, it seems that no harm is ever even possible.

I constantly answer my fellow Christians with statements like, "Well we know from Galatians 3 -5 that works play no role in salvation at anytime," or Romans 1:20-21 that every human has a revelation that God exists through the things that are created and that there are moral truths through their conscience," which people scramble after their Bibles because they are unfamiliar with what it says. Many have read the Bible all the way through a dozen times. But little or know knowledge is achieved.

We also know that the KJV made some good choices and some bad ones in terms of their interpretation philosophy. It is a moot point as once someone gets serious about hermeneutics and exegesis, they will be looking to the greek, and multiple resources arguing the best understanding of the text given our current textual evidence. If one is not studying than there will be no permanent change in belief and one doesn't fulfill the reason for reading the scriptures in the first place.

Shoot you should put a comic book inside the Bible and at least get some entertainment while you attend your local church...just kidding. Obviously, I would wish people to actually study the scriptures.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If you are looking for evidences that prove that God's Word is perfect and divine

The incarnation of God's Word and Wisdom is the God-man Jesus Christ, Who is perfectly and completely fully God and fully man. What more do we need? :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The incarnation of God's Word and Wisdom is the God-man Jesus Christ, Who is perfectly and completely fully God and fully man. What more do we need? :oldthumbsup:

You would not know this truth without Scripture. There are also other essential truths or doctrines Christians should know, as well.

Upvote 0