Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
(Mom's side)... my gr-ma did her side clear back to the Mayflower... nobody has done anything from then, on back. we have a family book of it all.

(dad's side)....just gotten to the early 1800's.

I think we know my mom's side since the Mayflower... I know my mom has it, so I should ask to look at it sometime.

On my dad's side I know who my great great grandparents were (they immigrated from the Azores)... they raised my grandmother (my father's mother), she's the one who told me about them, when I was doing a report for school on Portugal and wanted to mention my family.
And my dad has researched his dad's side but I don't know how far back he got... probably only a few generations.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I asked my mom if I could see the family tree she has. So she showed it to me. It goes back to the mayflower.
It's funny because one of my great great grandfathers has the same name I used when I made a fictional character for a story I write.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I've been able to trace fairly far back as well. also another Mayflower descendent here. my line comes from Gov. William Bradford and includes the brother and father of Noah Webster (of dictionary fame).
beyond that i've been able to trace back on one line to the 1500's. on another line we have yet to fill in some gaps betwen the 1200's to the 1700's, but have a line that came over with William the Conquorer from Normandy, France.
I've had lots of help from relatives on both sides of my family, some of whom have many family pics dating back to the early 1900's. I love seeing the fashions back then.:D

Upvote 0

meader

Dec 31, 2008
B.C. Canada
Visit site
✟7,678.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Norman invasion of 1066 under William the conquerer on my dad's side and the first voyage of the mayflower on my moms side. My mom has done all the research and confirmed the mayflower passanger list with the Mayflower society.

Its interesting that there are so many mayflower decendants on here.

Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Norman invasion of 1066 under William the conquerer on my dad's side

Me too. Traced to a man named Sassfrid.

I need more documentation though. Right now in my mind it is still more like speculation. The dates don't seem right and that makes me wonder what others researching that line may have "fudged".

I'm certain of all family lines back to 1800. Any farther back than that I am relying on other people's work. Hopefully some day I will have the time and the money to fix that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

Shephatiah

What's the farthest back you've been able to go in your family tree? I won't make you give me sources, but let me know if it's mostly speculation, or if you're sure. :)

So far, I've gone back to the 1600's, and I'm pretty sure everything's correct. I still have a lot of work to do, though.

-I can go back to William Brewster of the Mayflower. But have not become a member of the Mayflower Society yet.
-My "direct" line goes back to 1500's Germany. The Lutheran Churches kept very good records and the Allies took good care of my Church during the War.
-Most of my lines with a true verifiable history go back to the 1500's. Once you find Royalty who knows where it will lead.

Upvote 0

PROUD2LOVEJESUS

Christian
Jul 6, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟7,668.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What's the farthest back you've been able to go in your family tree? I won't make you give me sources, but let me know if it's mostly speculation, or if you're sure. :)

So far, I've gone back to the 1600's, and I'm pretty sure everything's correct. I still have a lot of work to do, though.

I've gone as far back as the 1300s but I had MAJOR help and couldn't have done it alone. One of my ancestors was also a first cousin of James Monroe, and his side had been done back while he was President, so I've gotten it. I've also gone to the Munro castle in Scotland and verified as much of it as I can.

Upvote 0

xSilverPhinx

Jul 9, 2010
✟15,128.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My genealogy was traced for me, but I don't know the details. I'm lucky enough to have descended from people whose anscestors were thoroughly documented from one moment in time, so it goes far back.
I just know some of the Houses some of them belonged to, but not sure about the individuals, except for Pepin the Short...

Maybe I should attempt the research myself, the people holding the information are quite selfish. It would be interesting to find and read about them, their thoughts and their lives, makes them seem sort of alive.

Upvote 0

PROUD2LOVEJESUS

Christian
Jul 6, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟7,668.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My genealogy was traced for me, but I don't know the details. I'm lucky enough to have descended from people whose anscestors were thoroughly documented from one moment in time, so it goes far back.
I just know some of the Houses some of them belonged to, but not sure about the individuals, except for Pepin the Short...

Maybe I should attempt the research myself, the people holding the information are quite selfish. It would be interesting to find and read about them, their thoughts and their lives, makes them seem sort of alive.
Your local genealogical library might actually have the book where this information is held. When people do genealogy, they often publish it. It's worth a try. And if you are a descendant of Pepin, most likely you are from Charlemagne, too (as Pepin was his father).
Good luck!

Upvote 0

xSilverPhinx

Jul 9, 2010
✟15,128.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Your local genealogical library might actually have the book where this information is held. When people do genealogy, they often publish it. It's worth a try. And if you are a descendant of Pepin, most likely you are from Charlemagne, too (as Pepin was his father).
Good luck!

Thanks!:) Yeah, it's quite a gap to bridge, and my certainty ends with Pepin, but not with which of his sons or daughters. I can also know which individuals would be direct ancestors based on their being the first or founders of the House but they're still far off (about 500 years ago or more).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wolvrin704

Doing better than I deserve!
Aug 10, 2010
Cincinnati
✟7,750.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
One of my cousins did some deeper research than I ever did (I was able to get back to the 1700's) and he was able to trace our lineage back to the 1000's, although I know for a fact it can go back further as it went back to an earl of Orkney, knowing a lot about Scottish history I know that family's history can be traced much further back to possibly the 800's.
I was amazed by some of the people who we were descended from since I know so much of Scottish and English medieval history some of them were familiar names to me.

Upvote 0

SoccerCoach

Soccer is a kick in the grass
Aug 29, 2010
✟7,841.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

We have family that goes back to Columbus and the founding of the USA. That was sort of cool. :cool:

Upvote 0
J

Jazer

We go back to 800 ad when the founding father at the time converted to Christianity. He had 12 sons and they had to go out into the world to find their own land to grow food. The usually way was to join a military and they often paid you with land. Or you got a good political job. Before 800 they destoryed the records so they no longer exist before that date.

Upvote 0

VintageDon

Texan, Minister, TechnoGeek, Foodie :)
Aug 12, 2011
Smyrna, DE
Visit site
✟16,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Managed to get back to the Plantagenet line in the 1600s, but still trying to flesh out some stuff on this side of the pond before I hit that side.

Unfortunately, I'm adopted (by my grandparents, however), and can't find my original biological mother, so that leg of the family makes a quick stop. Fleshed out dad's side really nice, however.

Upvote 0