How early did people get the idea that people became angels when they die?

heirmiles

Rookie
Apr 14, 2012
East coast of Vancouver Island on the West Coast o
✟12,498.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Martyrdom of Polycarp:

"And, looking to the grace of Christ, they despised all the torments of this world, redeeming themselves from eternal

punishment by [the suffering of] a single hour. For this reason the fire of their savage executioners appeared cool
to them. For they kept before their view escape from that fire which is eternal and never shall be quenched, and
looked forward with the eyes of their heart to those good things which are laid up for such as endure; things “which
ear hath not heard, nor eye seen, neither have entered into the heart of man,” but were revealed by the Lord to them,

inasmuch as they were no longer men, but had already become angels. And, in like manner, those who were
condemned to the wild beasts endured dreadful tortures, being stretched out upon beds full of spikes, and subjected

to various other kinds of torments, in order that, if it were possible, the tyrant might, by their lingering tortures, lead them
to a denial [of Christ]."

As far as I'm aware, and please correct me if I am mistaken, the Bible doesn't indicate that Christians become angels when they die. And yet this idea is believed quite readily by some.

Would this be the earliest indication of such a belief, that at least for martyrs if not more generally?

Last edited:

heirmiles

Rookie
Apr 14, 2012
East coast of Vancouver Island on the West Coast o
✟12,498.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interestingly enough, when I googled "do people become angels when they die", dozens of
the top answers were that the Bible does not say that people become angels when they die.
So I figured this must be true. But then in my regular study I came across Jesus talking with
the Sadducees in Matthew '22 about the resurrection:

'23. The same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to Him and asked Him,
'24. saying: “Teacher, Moses said that if a man dies, having no children, his brother shall marry his
wife and raise up offspring for his brother. '25. Now there were with us seven brothers. The first
died after he had married, and having no offspring, left his wife to his brother. '26. Likewise the
second also, and the third, even to the seventh. '27. Last of all the woman died also. '28. Therefore,
in the resurrection, whose wife of the seven will she be? For they all had her.”

'29. Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power
of God. '30. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels
of God in heaven.
'31. But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was
spoken to you by God, saying, '32. 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'?
God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.” '33. And when the multitudes heard this, they were
astonished at His teaching.

So, the context is concerning whether people will be married at the resurrection, and Jesus' answer
is simply about people being like angels who do not marry. Emphasis on marriage.

But then the "proof text" in me wants to say, see! people do become angels at the resurrection.

The cautious part of me says, hold on, He said like angels in heaven, like. Like is used as a simile,
a comparative, an illustrative, not an exact replication. There will be similarities between the two,
but not an exact replication. At least that's how its used in English.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Martyrdom of Polycarp:

"And, looking to the grace of Christ, they despised all the torments of this world, redeeming themselves from eternal

punishment by [the suffering of] a single hour. For this reason the fire of their savage executioners appeared cool
to them. For they kept before their view escape from that fire which is eternal and never shall be quenched, and
looked forward with the eyes of their heart to those good things which are laid up for such as endure; things “which
ear hath not heard, nor eye seen, neither have entered into the heart of man,” but were revealed by the Lord to them,

inasmuch as they were no longer men, but had already become angels. And, in like manner, those who were
condemned to the wild beasts endured dreadful tortures, being stretched out upon beds full of spikes, and subjected

to various other kinds of torments, in order that, if it were possible, the tyrant might, by their lingering tortures, lead them
to a denial [of Christ]."

As far as I'm aware, and please correct me if I am mistaken, the Bible doesn't indicate that Christians become angels when they die. And yet this idea is believed quite readily by some.

Would this be the earliest indication of such a belief, that at least for martyrs if not more generally?
That is a misinterpretation of the Martyrdom of Polycarp. He is likening them to angels because they had, through the grace of God, put aside the needs of their flesh. There is no teaching in the early Church that we become angels.

Upvote 0