Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What specifically should i be more specific on?
LOL
I don't understand the questions you are asking, therefore, I cannot know what my answer to your questions would be. :D

What was their equivalent of that?
their who? that what?
So marriage was revealed through people we don't know specifically about?
People - Issac and Rebekah? know specifically about them or how they were married?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
LOL
I don't understand the questions you are asking, therefore, I cannot know what my answer to your questions would be. :D

their who? that what?

People - Issac and Rebekah? know specifically about them or how they were married?

A modern (which is cross-cultural) religious ceremony.

It was mentioned that there were covenants before Moses.

That too.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A modern (which is cross-cultural) religious ceremony.
???
It was mentioned that there were covenants before Moses.
Yes there were covenants before Moses, including marriage covenants.
That too.
Still not sure what you are getting at but here is one example of one early marriage in the Bible.
Abraham sends his servant to find the woman that God has chosen for Issac. He finds Rebekah and speaks with her and her mother and brother. They ask her what she thinks. She agrees to marry Issac, whom she has never met. She returns with the servant. Issac sees Rebekah, Rebekah sees Issac, and Issac takes Rebekah into his dead mother's home and they consummate the covenant they and their families have agreed to. This was not done lightly, it was a covenant before God. They are now man and wife. Obviously this was a marriage in God's eyes and a very important one in God's plan.
If someone were to ask who Rebekah was, the answer would be Issac's wife. Their families and the community would recognize them as husband and wife.

Some 400 yrs. later God gave the laws that said one could not married certain family members, etc. and that one could only marry those within Israel, Hebrews by nature or adoption. As Ruth said, Your people will be my people and your God will be my God.

I don't see any problem with cross-cultural these days, what is important is that we are not unevenly yoked, which is the same as what God says in the Law of Moses.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
???

Yes there were covenants before Moses, including marriage covenants.

Still not sure what you are getting at but here is one example of one early marriage in the Bible.
Abraham sends his servant to find the woman that God has chosen for Issac. He finds Rebekah and speaks with her and her mother and brother. They ask her what she thinks. She agrees to marry Issac, whom she has never met. She returns with the servant. Issac sees Rebekah, Rebekah sees Issac, and Issac takes Rebekah into his dead mother's home and they consummate the covenant they and their families have agreed to. This was not done lightly, it was a covenant before God. They are now man and wife. Obviously this was a marriage in God's eyes and a very important one in God's plan.
If someone were to ask who Rebekah was, the answer would be Issac's wife. Their families and the community would recognize them as husband and wife.

Some 400 yrs. later God gave the laws that said one could not married certain family members, etc. and that one could only marry those within Israel, Hebrews by nature or adoption. As Ruth said, Your people will be my people and your God will be my God.

I don't see any problem with cross-cultural these days, what is important is that we are not unevenly yoked, which is the same as what God says in the Law of Moses.

The slight details may be different, but the overall idea is the same across different countries today.

But basically what defined marriage and made them married was different back then than what it is today?

Why was that behavior allowed in earlier times?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But basically what defined marriage and made them married was different back then than what it is today?
The OP was how does the Bible define marriage. Not how does man define marriage today.
Why was that behavior allowed in earlier times?
Sorry? Why was What behavior allowed in earlier times? I cannot guess at what you are referring to.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The OP was how does the Bible define marriage. Not how does man define marriage today.

Sorry? Why was What behavior allowed in earlier times? I cannot guess at what you are referring to.

Are you referring to marriage itself or are you referring to gay marriage (and people who believe other forms of marriage should be allowed)?

Family members marrying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You said how man defines marriage today, which could be a reference to allowing marriages outside a man and a woman.
Ah...OK...
I'm just talking about marriage as defined as a man and a woman. I was sticking strictly to the OP.
Obviously not all people today, define marriage as anything but a man and a woman.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
What Does the Bible Actually Say About Marriage?

by Greg Carey

Professor, Lancaster Theological Seminary

When you attend a wedding at church, what passages of Scripture do you expect to hear? Congregations occasionally invite me to speak on the current same-sex marriage debates, and I ask them this question. Their answers are remarkably consistent.

Someone invariably mentions 1 Corinthians 13, the famous "Love Chapter." Love is patient, love is kind, love never insists on its own way and so forth. Wonderful advice for marriage, but Paul was not talking about marriage. He was addressing a church fight: the believers in Corinth had split into factions and were competing for prestige and influence. We see echoes of this conflict throughout the letter, but especially in chapters 12 and 14, which surround this passage.

Others call out, "Where you go, I will go; where you lodge, I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God" (Ruth 1:16; NRSV). Another moving passage, but it's certainly not about marriage. Ruth addresses this moving speech to her mother-in-law Naomi.

The second creation story in Genesis comes up: "Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh" (Genisis 2:24). This passage is certainly appropriate to marriage, as it reflects the level of intimacy and commitment that distinguishes marriage from other relationships. Jesus quotes this passage, too, but he isn't exactly discussing marriage. Instead, his topic is divorce (Matthew 19:5; Mark 10:8). When ministers read the Gospel passages at weddings, as they often do, the message seems a little off. I'd rather not hear about divorce at a wedding.

One other passage frequently surfaces in weddings but rarely in mainline Protestant churches, the Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodists and United Church of Christ congregations that invite me to speak. Ephesians 5:22-33 commands wives to obey their husbands and husbands to love their wives. Conservative Christians may try to explain away the offense of this passage, but there's no escaping its ugly reality. Ephesians calls wives to submit to their husbands just as children must obey their parents and slaves must obey their masters. See the larger context, Ephesians 5:21-6:9.

Not a Lot to Say

The point is, Christian weddings rarely feature passages that directly relate to marriage. Only one passage, Genesis 2:24, seems especially relevant, while other passages require us to bend their content to our desire to hear a good word about marriage. Things are so bad that the worship books for many denominations turn to John 2:11, where Jesus turns water into wine at a wedding feast, to claim that Jesus blessed marriage. My church, the United Church of Christ, has developed a new wedding liturgy, but it retains this common formula: "As this couple give themselves to each other today, we remember that at Cana in Galilee our Savior Jesus Christ made the wedding feast a sign of God's reign of love."

So we know Jesus blessed marriage because he attended a wedding? That's the best we can do? No wonder it's common for couples to struggle over the choice of Scripture for their wedding ceremonies. The Bible just doesn't have much to say on the topic.

Let's Be Honest

Unfortunately, many Christians use the Bible to support their own prejudices and bigotry. They talk about "biblical family values" as if the Bible had a clear message on marriage and sexuality. Let's be clear: There's no such thing as "biblical family values" because the Bible does not speak to the topic clearly and consistently.

It's high time people came clean about how we use the Bible. When Christians try to resolve difficult ethical and theological matters, they typically appeal to the Gospels and Paul's letters as keys to the question. But what about marriage? Not only did Jesus choose not to marry, he encouraged his disciples to abandon household and domestic concerns in order to follow him (Matthew 19:29; Mark 10:28-30; Luke 9:57-62). He even refers to those "who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 19:10-13). Whatever that means, it's certainly not an endorsement of marriage. Paul likewise encourages male believers: "Do not seek a wife" (1 Corinthians 7:27, my translation) -- advice Paul took for himself. If neither Jesus nor Paul preferred marriage for their followers, why do some Christians maintain that the Bible enshrines 19th-century Victorian family values?

Let's not even go into some of the Bible's most chilling teachings regarding marriage, such as how a man's obligation to keep a new wife who displeases him on the wedding night (Deuteronomy 22:13-21), his obligation to marry a woman he has raped (Deuteronomy 22:28-30) or the unquestioned right of heroes like Abraham to exploit their slaves sexually. I wonder: Have the "biblical family values advocates" actually read their Bibles?

Christians will always turn to the Bible for guidance -- and we should. If the Bible does not promote a clear or redemptive teaching about slavery, that doesn't mean we have nothing to learn from Scripture about the topic. The same values that guide all our relationships apply to marriage: unselfish concern for the other; honesty, integrity and fidelity; and sacrificial -- but not victimized -- love. That's a high standard, far higher than a morality determined by anachronistic and restrictive rules that largely reflect our cultural biases. Rules make up the lowest common denominator for morality. Love, as Paul said, never finds an end.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Marriage is a model of God works. GLBT scrambles roles around and breaks up how God works. In this modern world we adjust to Satan's ways and not understand how God works. We get used to the media and crowds and now we are forced to bake cakes with evil graphics door evil people.
Do churches have to pay taxes? If they do then are they going to be forced to perform gay marriages?

What is marriage bibically-weren't there same gender covenants in the Bible?

I don't think sex defines marriage because there are sexless marriages-but then again, relatives marrying is associated with sin.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
LOL

their who? that what?

So all real marriages include a covenant? Jews and Muslims have marriage contracts.

So bibically all covenants outside of a not too closely related man/woman are sinful, regardless of any sexuality?

People often talk of same sex marriage being sinful apart from homosexual relations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Seems to me that since the Bible doesn't include a covenant that we are to sign when we get married and since thru history there have been many changes to what couples/families consider to be part of a covenant of marriage that we are free to talk with our future and make the covenant what we want it to me.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So all real marriages include a covenant? Jews and Muslims have marriage contracts.
I don't believe that a covenant has to be in writing. Even in a court of law a verbal contract is a legal contract.
So bibically all covenants outside of a not too closely related man/woman are sinful, regardless of any sexuality?
The only marriage that we see in the scriptures are between a man and a woman. That is all I am saying.
People often talk of same sex marriage being sinful apart from homosexual relations.
There is no such thing as a same-sex marriage in the Bible. So for some people like a baker, maybe they feel as if they are supporting or showing approval of a lie.

Mat 19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
Mat 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Marriage existed before Judaism and Christianity.

God defines what marriage is in Genesis 2:24:

Genesis 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

Jesus affirmed:

Matthew 19:4-6 He answered, "Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, (5) and said, 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? (6) So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate."

God never validates (declares righteous) any other form.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God defines what marriage is in Genesis 2:24:

Genesis 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

Jesus affirmed:

Matthew 19:4-6 He answered, "Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, (5) and said, 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? (6) So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate."

God never validates (declares righteous) any other form.

What does one flesh mean besides sex?

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does one flesh mean besides sex?

It is the union of husband and wife in righteous physical sexual intercourse, but I think it can also have a metaphoric meaning (although I cannot demonstrate that at the moment), of being in union of belief in God, having the same faith.

Upvote 0