Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are very few marriages actually mentioned in the Bible. There's the ones that happened before Jacob, there's a few that happened after Jacob, and then there's Ruth/Boaz, and the Wedding in Cana.

Every single one of these were either Jewish, or Pre-Jewish weddings.

The ones before the Exodus (Isaac/Rebekah, for example) seemed to be a bit more "meet girl, say prayer, lay with her that night to seal the deal" type thing, but then again, there could have been more to it that the Bible doesn't actually mention because it isn't important. However, Jacob being tricked into laying with Leah instead of Rachel seems to lead some evidence towards marriage as being a quick "say a prayer and lie with her that night", because he didn't notice the switch until the morning.

EDIT: Okay, there's one other union mentioned, Esther and Ahasuerus, but that wasn't a Jewish wedding, but rather it was likely done in the pagan style because of who Ahasuerus (aka, Xarxes) was.
Yep. Those are the only ones that I can think of. Men have devised traditions and ceremonies. Not that I believe there is anything wrong with that. :)

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't that depend on the Biblical period that is being considered?
Marriage was practiced since Adam and Eve.

And no, it isn't defined by paper. True Marriage is a union between a man and a woman by God with witness(es) present (usually a preacher/pastor/minister).

Now, in the USA, marriage by law requires papers, and all sorts of stuff that God probably doesn't really care about so much (though He would have you do it so that you stay within the laws of man as He commanded us to in the Bible).

Marriage by modern definitions?

What do you mean? Biblical weddings were similar to Jewish weddings of today.

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What you say seems to be at odds with Ephesians 5, which indicates that marriage is a picture of Christ's relationship with the Church.

There are three types of love in our relationships with God and Christ, with neighbors and with spouse. They should not be mixed up into one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Marriage existed before Judaism and Christianity. That confuses me, because Judaism and Christianity were how God first revealed through prophets how he wanted people to live. In indigenous cultures, and even in different cultures around the world, what defines it is different.

What is the bibical definition, exactly? I'm confused. I was always interested in analyzing every detail of the Bible, but this is one topic that I find somewhat enigmatic.

I've heard people say the legal institution of marriage is different (but yet closely connected) to the religious sacrament of matrimony. Is that true or false?
Marriage is a model of God works. GLBT scrambles roles around and breaks up how God works. In this modern world we adjust to Satan's ways and not understand how God works. We get used to the media and crowds and now we are forced to bake cakes with evil graphics door evil people.
Do churches have to pay taxes? If they do then are they going to be forced to perform gay marriages?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Marriage existed before Judaism and Christianity. That confuses me, because Judaism and Christianity were how God first revealed through prophets how he wanted people to live. In indigenous cultures, and even in different cultures around the world, what defines it is different.
I would say that basic human marriage is if a couple commit to staying with each other. This can be before God's word tells them how to live in commitment. God's main interest is not only what defines the marriage, but how we learn to do it.

And God's way of marriage is between a man and a woman. Nowhere does the Bible talk about how a man is to be married to another man, or a woman with another woman. God is not only a human writer who would have overlooked this :)

What is the bibical definition, exactly? I'm confused. I was always interested in analyzing every detail of the Bible, but this is one topic that I find somewhat enigmatic.
Like I offer > if they commit to staying with each other, this is basic marriage. Jesus, I understand, says that if you have done something in your heart, you already have done it.

I've heard people say the legal institution of marriage is different (but yet closely connected) to the religious sacrament of matrimony. Is that true or false?
Now we could be talking about if the egg or the chicken come first. The egg is the seed > the heart commitment > this comes before religious ceremony and legal measures. I consider that if you have the egg and it is of love, you won't be chicken about sharing your intentions with others, however your religion and culture do this.

But doesn't the religious ceremony make it holy matrimony, which gives the marriage a sacred and religious context and meaning?
It can. But ceremony can be a copy-cat thing. What is in the heart is what makes it all it is, in the sight of God.

But how did the Institution itself exist before God spoke to Moses and gave him a covenant?
There always has been the institution, but God's word has directed people in how to handle marriage and live in holy matrimony. Under the law of Moses, things could be not as good as how they can be in Jesus. But marriage could be of God's love then, too. But the religious trimmings can be different, in culture and religious copy-catting and legal details.

If two people in a committed relationship move in together, that in and of itself is not a marriage.
If a couple stays with each other and has and brings up children . . . I am not going to tell them they are not married. It may not be legal, or by the Bible . . . but > if they somehow love each other and take care of each other and their children, they are doing more than a number of secular and religious married couples are doing in their pronounced marriages.

How was Adam and Eve being married similar to the modern institution of marriage?
Adam and Eve did not do well with each other. They were married, yes, but fell into sin. The similarity is they were one and committed. But what ones do with their oneness is so much more important than how you label their relationship, Sam.

Recently someone told me that the institution of marriage that was practiced throughout the ages existed before "paper you're referring to was" invented.
Now you are making someone's head work :) You are helping people to find employment for their brains, then; so you could run for president since you are helping to increase employment! :)

So what was marriage in the bible if it wasn't papers?
In the New Testament, I consider what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 7:7. What I understand is he says if you have a relationship with another child of God and you can't handle staying celibate, get married. In the case of the Jesus people in Corinth . . . my opinion is they could tell who God was putting together. They had deep sense to know what was going on with each other. So, it was understood that couples would go with celibacy or with marriage, depending simply on how each relationship developed. But if any couple got sexually intimate, Paul says "let each man have his own wife". If you got together, that was the person you stayed with.

Yes, there was the possibility of a Christian celibate covenant correctional companionship commitment couple who did not have sex, but they were together. So, I guess they could be considered married, because of their commitment.

So you're saying marriages done without papers are crimes? I'm not an expert on the subject, and I'm kind of confused at this discussion.
In the United States, a legally uncertified marriage can be illegal, I think, partly in consideration of making sure the children and a surviving spouse get taken care of. So, if it is not legally taken care of, marriage might be not only illegal, but unloving.

Biblical weddings were similar to Jewish weddings of today.
Well, the Biblical weddings reported in the Bible are weddings of Jewish culture, then. So, I suppose they could still be similar. But in Jesus we have Gentiles of different cultures not reported in detail in the Bible; the Christian marriages of Gentiles is not reported.

Also, I suspect that certain ones could be wishfully claiming they know how things really used to be; there are people who are into promoting Jewish religion and culture; so they might promote that the Jewish way is the right and Biblical way. But, even so, there might have been different ways of Jews, but ones maybe have picked and chosen what makes it into the history reports.

In any case, Sam, the marriage is not the wedding ceremony or celebration. Marriage basically means a state of being in union, joined somehow. The main union and intimacy is in the heart. Intimacy certainly is not only the bodily sexual union. But love's intimacy is in the heart, if it is there.

Also . . . by the way . . . the Bible says >

"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Corinthians 6:17)

So, while we are at it, Sam . . . consider how each person of Jesus is "one spirit with Him." We are, first, engaged to our Groom Jesus. But we already are each "one spirit with Him." The marriage is spiritual, then, in God's own love. And, likewise, real marriage for humans is in God's love, not only in our own ways of picking and choosing who is good enough for us to love > "For if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" (in Matthew 5:46)

So, I guess we might say that the marriage which God wants for us is much better than what a number of people have been doing. And it is for living in our Father's all-loving love. Marriage can be a research laboratory for making breakthrough discoveries in how to relate in love, so we can love in this way with various other people of God's family caring and sharing love. We need how the Bible says to love as family, in all our relating > Ephesians 5:21, Ephesians 4:31-32, Ephesians 5:1-2, 1 Peter 3:8-9, Mark 11:25.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Saying that "Marriage existed before Judaism and Christianity" while being a Christian is something I had to do a double-take on.

Of course it existed before Mosaic Law; it goes all the way back to Adam and Eve starting in Genesis 2:24 as the @dysert already mentioned.

Now since Genesis, Mankind had kinda forgotten or perhaps didn't understand, that man was to have one wife, and one wife only, and that woman was to have one husband and one husband only, for even in the days of Jacob, this wasn't the case (Jacob himself had children with four different women).

Therefore, in Leviticus, God set the rules in stone (literally!) that there is to be one husband and one wife together. But even then, this wasn't actually practiced during the days of the kings, even Solomon had many concubines and wives.

This was probably one of the reasons why Jesus went even a step further than Levitical Law did, and said "even looking at a woman in lust is committing adultery with her" (pp) because of all of the sexual immorality throughout the years.

but how did humanity know about it before the Mosaic Covenant was given? that's a question i've wondered about for a while.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I do see a religious ceremony as being a covenant that the two people are making before God. If God is specifically mentioned, then I consider it a covenant.

I should also add that if the person is born-again with the indwelling Holy Spirit, then I also consider it is a covenant with God.

But there are civil marriages too.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Actually the Law of Moses allows for more than one wife at the same time. We can know this because the Law says that if a man took another wife and denied his first wife her rights as his wife then she was allowed to leave him. Ex 21:10-11.
Also the brother or next closest kin of a man who had died was to marry the brother's widow and bear children with her. We see this in Ruth and in the Law, Deut. 25:5-9.

Did Adam and Eve or Issac and Rebecca have a religious ceremony?

God made covenants with people before the Law of Moses. Noah and Abraham both had covenants with God.
I wouldn't call marriage an Institution, it is a personal relationship between a man and a woman

What was their equivalent of that?

So marriage was revealed through people we don't know specifically about?

It is a relationship and commitment, but it is also more than that. http://www.comereason.org/marriage-god.asp

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What was their equivalent of that?

So marriage was revealed through people we don't know specifically about?

It is a relationship and commitment, but it is also more than that. http://www.comereason.org/marriage-god.asp
Please be a little more specific about what you are asking. I don't understand your questions.
I wonder if the son of the woman in your article lived in a common law state. It's impossible to know the full extent of this young couples view of their marriage based on the little information in the article.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Please be a little more specific about what you are asking. I don't understand your questions.
I wonder if the son of the woman in your article lived in a common law state. It's impossible to know the full extent of this young couples view of their marriage based on the little information in the article.

What specifically should i be more specific on?

Upvote 0