How does one know they've surrendered everything to God?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus during his ministry stated many times that his disciples must lay down everything to follow him. How does a person know that they've given everything to God? What does their life look like? Hope my question makes sense.

eleos1954
eleos1954
Paul said …. I die daily …. Surrending (spiritually) is an on going thing.

As far as material things …. We don’t own anything ….. everything belongs to the Lord, including our very being …. Existence
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If that is the case who then can be saved? I think even Peter had some worldly possessions.

Now wait, first you asked about following Jesus. But now you are asking about being saved.

Which is it, what you are asking about following Jesus or Eternal Life salvation. because they are not the same and require different actions. One is commitment/obedience (following) the other is faith in Jesus The Messiah (eternal Life slavation).

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus during his ministry stated many times that his disciples must lay down everything to follow him. How does a person know that they've given everything to God? What does their life look like? Hope my question makes sense.
It is not the things you possess, it is the things that possess you.
I have plenty of things in this life. I don't like it here. I have always felt like I do not belong in this world. "Things" do not make me happy.
At this point in my life, I am just occupying until He comes. I am redeeming the time. I could divest myself of everything I have... it would not help. At this point in my life... it would just be a religious act. Meaningless. I do have responsibilities to others so I carry on. Until He comes.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe it is laying down of one's life and not everything. There is a difference.
Blessings.

John 15:9-17

“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you.

Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

When you no longer see anything as belonging to you (or to anyone else for that matter).

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The way I want to answer this is by referring to the words of one of the ancient desert fathers I recently came across. St. Sisoes the Great, it is said, when on his death bed was seen by the brothers at the monastery speaking to invisible people. When they inquired, the dying monk said that the angels had come to take him, but he was requesting more time to repent. The brothers insisted that he had lived a long and virtuous life of repentance, that he had nothing left to repent of. His words to them was this, "Truly, I do not know if I have even begun to repent."

I don't think we will have ever given everything to God. This entire life is a life of discipleship, a life of taking up our cross. A life of failing and dying, of repentance, and the gracious comfort of God's love in the Gospel. We will tumble, we will fumble. We will take ten steps back for every one step forward we make. We will surrender, and steal back from God, and God because He is kind forgive us.

We should never think we have already finished the journey, accomplished the work, that the race is over--because it's not. We must, instead, rest beneath the shadow of the cross. Press on, day in, day out. Prayer is to be our breath, repentance our daily cross, faith our one treasure, Christ our true food and drink. Christ before us at all times.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums