How do you make sure that God has forgiven you?

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know the Bible pretty well. Not completely memorized or anything but I do know what God says about repentance and forgiveness. However there is one thing that I am confused about and that is God's forgiveness AFTER we've become saved. I became a Christian sometime around in my teen years and then I backslid for a while because I wanted to have friends and I decided to kind of put God on hold and live life my way. I repented but I was afraid of backsliding again in the future.

Fast forward to college. I do the exact same thing. I start going to parties and getting involved with some pretty shady characters. It escalated to the point where I was abusing my body and getting into some pretty bad situations with some pretty shady people. I repented and I regret that stage of my life to an incredible magnitude. However I oftentimes doubt that I am forgiven since there are some areas in the Bible that strongly condemn Christian sinning after being saved. Sometimes I wonder if I forfeited my soul. Either way I know serving God will make me happier no matter if I go to hell or heaven so I have decided to change my ways and at least sanctify my life here on earth. I still wake up with panic attacks at night and I struggle with depression and etc.

• Prayers
Reactions: redleghunter

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟404,221.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well. You don't make sure. God makes sure. :)

Anyone who believes and is baptized into the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit is saved.
We should still strive for daily repentance and holiness of living, but our salvation is not conditioned by this. Rather, we are created in Christ for good works, prepared by God - meaning, we don't do good works in order to create or sustain ourselves in Christ.

See Ephesians 2 for reference and don't be burdened, but be thankful for God's grace and patience!
This is what Christ means by: "For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." - which is rightly the Gospel.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I have my own method for "assuring my forgiveness" (guess what that is?), but I think the first step is resolving never to sin again. Now, obviously you will sin again, but you must resolve to do everything in your power to avoid it. Stave it off for as long as you can. God has endless forgiveness, but part of receiving it is taking steps to put a stop to sinfulness. It's easy enough to say sorry, but the real challenge lies in stopping yourself from having to say it again.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Either way I know serving God will make me happier no matter if I go to hell or heaven so I have decided to change my ways and at least sanctify my life here on earth. I still wake up with panic attacks at night and I struggle with depression and etc.
I just realized that perhaps
serving God as you say might NOT make you happier .

Jesus says if you decide to follow Him, you will suffer painful persecution.
Also,
to be His disciple, if you want to be His disciple, you must do as He says.
His Own disciples in the NT were often surprised, and many of them left Him because they weren't "happy" with what He declared; they said it was too difficult.

Jesus did heal everyone who came to Him,
but some of them may have ended up worse later, if they didn't stay with Him or if they stopped doing what He said to do.

There are many serious warnings from Jesus to His Own disciples, often not taught today, but just as serious or more so.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
How do you make sure that God has forgiven you?

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). This verse and all of 1 John chapter 1 is written to believers.

Upvote 0

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just realized that perhaps
serving God as you say might NOT make you happier .

Jesus says if you decide to follow Him, you will suffer painful persecution.
Also,
to be His disciple, if you want to be His disciple, you must do as He says.
His Own disciples in the NT were often surprised, and many of them left Him because they weren't "happy" with what He declared; they said it was too difficult.

Jesus did heal everyone who came to Him,
but some of them may have ended up worse later, if they didn't stay with Him or if they stopped doing what He said to do.

There are many serious warnings from Jesus to His Own disciples, often not taught today, but just as serious or more so.

Nah living in sin will only make me miserable. I know that there is a burden that comes with serving God but it is nothing compared to the burden of being a slave to sin.

• Agree
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Nah living in sin will only make me miserable. I know that there is a burden that comes with serving God but it is nothing compared to the burden of being a slave to sin.
Just realize, as you read and see in God's Word, that as you live day to day, week to week, month to month, year to year doing what God Says to do, you will be attacked even by family members, church members, other authorities and people in general, apparently "for no reason at all"..... they may and will mock you, seek to humiliate you, "gnash their teeth" at you, and withhold things from you that you might expect to be given otherwise (in the world as one of them).
This often surprises people, to be treated that way.
That's why Jesus told His Own disciples ahead of time how they would be treated; as He told them, so their JOY WOULD BE FULL ! As Yahweh (G-d) counted them worthy to suffer for the Gospel's Sake.
So it is and will be with you as you seek to do what Yahweh Says in His Word (The Bible) and in your spirit/ conscience daily (always in line with all of His Word).

Be prepared. Be ready.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I know the Bible pretty well. Not completely memorized or anything but I do know what God says about repentance and forgiveness. However there is one thing that I am confused about and that is God's forgiveness AFTER we've become saved. I became a Christian sometime around in my teen years and then I backslid for a while because I wanted to have friends and I decided to kind of put God on hold and live life my way. I repented but I was afraid of backsliding again in the future.

Fast forward to college. I do the exact same thing. I start going to parties and getting involved with some pretty shady characters. It escalated to the point where I was abusing my body and getting into some pretty bad situations with some pretty shady people. I repented and I regret that stage of my life to an incredible magnitude. However I oftentimes doubt that I am forgiven since there are some areas in the Bible that strongly condemn Christian sinning after being saved. Sometimes I wonder if I forfeited my soul. Either way I know serving God will make me happier no matter if I go to hell or heaven so I have decided to change my ways and at least sanctify my life here on earth. I still wake up with panic attacks at night and I struggle with depression and etc.
We have the assurance of the Holy Spirit that our sins have been forgiven (2 Corinthians 1:22, Ephesians 1:14). Intimacy with Christ (Acts 4:13) is another hallmark of redemption. The real challenge for a saint is to accept and believe that we've been forgiven, and walk away from sin. Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1 John was written to believers. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. -1 John 1:9

Confess your sins and repent and then ask for forgiveness, even after you started to follow Christ. If you sin again (which we all do), repeat :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dynamaniac

Apr 23, 2018
Houston
✟10,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that we all struggle with this in some way. The Scriptures say that we all sin and fall short of the glory of God. Remember that we are saved by grace and not by works so that no man should boast. But the same applies to the fact that we cannot keep our salvation with works, either. If we don't have to work to be saved, then we know that we don't have to work to remain saved. Does this mean we should deliberately sin? No. But it does mean that we are forgiven when we do repent of our sins. We can lose our fellowship because of sin, but we don't lose our salvation if we're truly saved. For I believe what Paul says, "that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:31-39) And we're included in this. We cannot separate ourselves from the love of God if we're truly saved. We cannot reject our salvation. We can rebel, sure. We can even ignore. But we cannot be removed from His grace.

I hope you will find comfort in the Word of God. I pray that He will reveal himself to you and wrap you in His never ending loving kindness. May the peace of our Lord comfort you and keep you.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,852.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You seem to be struggling with the idea of the unpardonable sin ... see what it is and is not here Is there an unpardonable sin, what is blasphemy of the holy spirit.

Upvote 0

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,852.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm more struggling with the Hebrews verse that talks about if we keep on deliberately sinning, we somehow forfeit our sacrifice.

Ok. I am not sure if you saw the following section on the Website link I gave so I have cut an pasted it. It deals with that very issue.

Heb 9:27-28 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people;

So what did that just say, man dies once, so in like manner Jesus dies once. So from my rendering that is a life for a life, one life time of sins for one sacrifice. We don’t face judgment until after we die. A further verse that supports the idea that sin is covered for a life time is the following

1Jn 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Note that Paul says that any sin that is not taken to the grave is forgivable, we are just not to pray for peoples sins once they die. It means that if God has left us alive he is seeking eternal life for us, he wants us restored. We are to pray for life for the sinning believer while they live. It is only if you die in sin that it is too late.

How forgivable is sin, and once we receive the Holy Spirit are we a super being incapable of sinning? First we must go to a verse directed to those who HAD received the Holy Spirit and it says:

1Jn 1:7-9 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

So firstly he said “if we claim to be with out sin”, or the devil tells you were 100% with out sin, and have now stuffed up, we should quote that verse, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us” but what else does it say God is “is faithful and just and will forgive”, and to forgive “all sin”. Faithfulness means a person sticks by us even when we don’t do the right thing. Justice is doing what is fair. God sees it as fair to forgive a person seeking repentance, to deny a person the right to forgiveness is unfair, but note God is both faithful and just. And furthermore what of the verse below:

1Jn 2:1-2 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

But if anyone does sin, we have one who speaks in our defence, so Jesus is actually defending you. Note he is the sacrifice for “our sins”, not just the unbelievers sins. So a Christian can sin and be justified. Remember what Jesus said to his disciples when they asked how many times their brother could sin and still be forgiven.

Mat 18:21-22 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times”.

The above verse means infinitely, all the time. When a brother in Christ wants repentance God said “forgive them”. God does the same with any sin he forgives when ever we ask.

And what about the book of James, referring to Christians who have gone back to sin:

Jas 5:19-20 My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

So if some one moves away from God, wanders into error, and sin they can be bought back to repentance. Also the bible says in Ezekiel

Eze 18:23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
Eze 18:31-32 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

What God, does not delight in the death of anyone, so he is not delighting in sinners perishing. He says “Why will you die?”, there is no need to die, all we need to do is repent, change our thinking, and we will have life. Again he says:

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

So if we confess our sin, it is pardonable, why well the sacrifice of Jesus is available today. Why well God is “faithful and just”, “not willing that anyone perish”, taking “no pleasure in the death of anyone”. But remember it is a life for a life, once for all sin, in the same way it is appointed for man to die once and face the judgment. Jesus death only paid for this life’s sins, if we don’t repent before we die, there is no sacrifice for eternal sin, Jesus died in the flesh, not the Spirit, he did not suffer hell for us, only death in the body. But hey don’t be scared if you are alive and reading this there is no problem. The only sin that will kill you is totally unrepentant sin, not willing to come back for forgiveness no matter what God says, and if you have that sort you are probably not even interested in reading this page. God is not unjust, he is faithful. Ask God to restore his relationship with you, and he will not cast you out. You will be saved. I will finish with a verse and an idea, the bible says:

Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Just think for a moment, I am an earthly father and I have a son, do you think that if my son spoke something bad against me, or even said "I no longer want you as my father", would I cease to have compassion on him. I would certainly still love him. God says that he is kinder than us, more loving, not less loving. He even calls our love in comparison to his evil. The bible says "how much more", will the Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him. Ask God for his Spirit, and he will give it, he certainly won't deny you salvation based upon any decision you have made, it is His faithfulness and love that keeps us secure not our past.

Upvote 0

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok. I am not sure if you saw the following section on the Website link I gave so I have cut an pasted it. It deals with that very issue.

Heb 9:27-28 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people;

So what did that just say, man dies once, so in like manner Jesus dies once. So from my rendering that is a life for a life, one life time of sins for one sacrifice. We don’t face judgment until after we die. A further verse that supports the idea that sin is covered for a life time is the following

1Jn 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Note that Paul says that any sin that is not taken to the grave is forgivable, we are just not to pray for peoples sins once they die. It means that if God has left us alive he is seeking eternal life for us, he wants us restored. We are to pray for life for the sinning believer while they live. It is only if you die in sin that it is too late.

How forgivable is sin, and once we receive the Holy Spirit are we a super being incapable of sinning? First we must go to a verse directed to those who HAD received the Holy Spirit and it says:

1Jn 1:7-9 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

So firstly he said “if we claim to be with out sin”, or the devil tells you were 100% with out sin, and have now stuffed up, we should quote that verse, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us” but what else does it say God is “is faithful and just and will forgive”, and to forgive “all sin”. Faithfulness means a person sticks by us even when we don’t do the right thing. Justice is doing what is fair. God sees it as fair to forgive a person seeking repentance, to deny a person the right to forgiveness is unfair, but note God is both faithful and just. And furthermore what of the verse below:

1Jn 2:1-2 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

But if anyone does sin, we have one who speaks in our defence, so Jesus is actually defending you. Note he is the sacrifice for “our sins”, not just the unbelievers sins. So a Christian can sin and be justified. Remember what Jesus said to his disciples when they asked how many times their brother could sin and still be forgiven.

Mat 18:21-22 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times”.

The above verse means infinitely, all the time. When a brother in Christ wants repentance God said “forgive them”. God does the same with any sin he forgives when ever we ask.

And what about the book of James, referring to Christians who have gone back to sin:

Jas 5:19-20 My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

So if some one moves away from God, wanders into error, and sin they can be bought back to repentance. Also the bible says in Ezekiel

Eze 18:23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
Eze 18:31-32 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

What God, does not delight in the death of anyone, so he is not delighting in sinners perishing. He says “Why will you die?”, there is no need to die, all we need to do is repent, change our thinking, and we will have life. Again he says:

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

So if we confess our sin, it is pardonable, why well the sacrifice of Jesus is available today. Why well God is “faithful and just”, “not willing that anyone perish”, taking “no pleasure in the death of anyone”. But remember it is a life for a life, once for all sin, in the same way it is appointed for man to die once and face the judgment. Jesus death only paid for this life’s sins, if we don’t repent before we die, there is no sacrifice for eternal sin, Jesus died in the flesh, not the Spirit, he did not suffer hell for us, only death in the body. But hey don’t be scared if you are alive and reading this there is no problem. The only sin that will kill you is totally unrepentant sin, not willing to come back for forgiveness no matter what God says, and if you have that sort you are probably not even interested in reading this page. God is not unjust, he is faithful. Ask God to restore his relationship with you, and he will not cast you out. You will be saved. I will finish with a verse and an idea, the bible says:

Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Just think for a moment, I am an earthly father and I have a son, do you think that if my son spoke something bad against me, or even said "I no longer want you as my father", would I cease to have compassion on him. I would certainly still love him. God says that he is kinder than us, more loving, not less loving. He even calls our love in comparison to his evil. The bible says "how much more", will the Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him. Ask God for his Spirit, and he will give it, he certainly won't deny you salvation based upon any decision you have made, it is His faithfulness and love that keeps us secure not our past.

I apologize. I had already read about blasphemy of the Spirit and I assumed that I wouldn't learn anything new. His explanations do make some sense except his explanation of the sin unto death. The translation that I read says something like "sin leading to death" and not "sin unto death" so I'm not sure if I agree with his explanation of that verse.

Great read though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Invalidusername

May 11, 2018
Battle Creek
✟70,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I really like that explanation about how Christ died once and thus we must repent during this life and there's no 2nd chances after this life. However I'm not 100% sure if that is a correct interpretation of the verse but then again I'm not exactly a scholar and I might and hope I am wrong. I am definitely open to that interpretation since it seems to match the context of the larger picture in the Bible.

Upvote 0