How do you know when you have heard the Counselor?

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The disciples needed both the direct example and teachings of Christ, as well as the Holy Spirit.

They needed both, before going out to spread the gospel, empowered by God on high.

I don't think half baked missionaries do anyone any favors.
I don't disagree, as long as the Voice is dictating the process either to me directly, or indirectly via a prophet or apostle. Don't tell me it's supposed to be grounded in the fallible advice of a seminary exegete. Jesus apparently didn't attend seminary, nor advised His disciples to do so.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
First, church services are orderly. They aren't "impromptu". Why would anyone stand up shouting in the middle of a sermon? That's rude. God manages far better than that.

As far as limiting God, I don't think I am.

I do think God speaks to us, but pick up your bags and leave now would likely be given the time to consider everything necessary leading up to that. Noah was given time to build a boat. Pharoah was warned in advance of coming famine.
Not true. On many occasions, the rhema word has called for immediate action.

As when driving at speed in the rain at night, and the Holy Spirit urgently whispers, "Pull back, pull back, pull back!"!
Yes the same words three times in quick succession. I didn't stop to check my bible, I instantly took my foot off the throttle and hovered over the brake as I watched the line of cars disappear ahead of me.
Seconds later, a huge black silhouette suddenly leapt over the hedge and landed on the front of my car. Thank God my foot was already over the brake!
Had I been doing my earlier 60mph, my wife and I would have been killed or seriously injured by an errant cow.

Hearing the voice of God should be an essential experience for all Christians, yet the road map is heaped with fear, negativity and discouragement from the church.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
What on earth do you think 3-1/2 years of discipling Christ then waiting on the indwelling Holy Spirit before going out to spread the gospel was, exactly?
Here is what you said.-
"In Presbyterian churches there is a basic process they put potential candidates through examining a person in relation to this calling and confirming it, or deciding it's not from God at all (perhaps mental illness talking or a role that doesn't fit the person, for instance.)If a calling is confirmed through the process, they help you get into seminary and do the various things you need to prepare. (Normally a 3 year process or more total)."

Here is the answer I gave.
Good job the disciples never heard this nonsense, otherwise the gospel would never have got started.
And that answer still stands because the disciples didn't get the benefit of being examined by some church eldership committee etc to decide whether their call was from God or the devil.

Oh, on second thoughts, perhaps the disciples did get examined by the eldership committee. That happened when they were hauled before the council and forbidden to preach, a command they rejected, as indeed many successful missionaries done ever since.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I've never heard of them, but then, I've never actively sought out heretical teachings to learn from, which is usually what is rejected by most churches. (Often for good cause)
The comment had nothing whatsoever to do with heretical teaching!
If you've never heard of Jackie Pullinger or Gladys Aylward, that's quite sad as they were incredibly courageous women who went to China all alone with no help.
They were rejected for no good cause whatsoever, as proven by their successful ministry led by the Holy Spirit instead of a human organisation.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
No.. I'm really not. Just relaying what I believe God does with His people, based on my own interactions as well as scripture.

I do think we need to be most discerning as Christians with such an impressive number of heretical teachings about... for the good of the church.
That's really funny...…."for the good of the church!"

Around the time of Constantine, the spirit of prophecy was driven out of the church and replaced by order of service, liturgy, hierarchy, clergy etc., much like the average Presbyterian church today.
Godly people who moved in the gifts were usually burned at the stake.

So, for the better part of 2000 years, the church has been ruled by experts in theology, rather than as the early church, by the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Yet with no help or hindrance from Spirit led believers, your theologians have split the church from end to end into thousands of different denominations and sects, all believing that their brand of heresy doctrine is the truth!
Constantly blaming the Spirit of prophecy for error in the church, is nothing more than sanctimonious ignorance! And its time that the accusations of heresy were laid back at the doors of the theologians started them, long before the current move of the Spirit arrived back on the scene!

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, but not one word Jesus spoke was from outside of Scripture. Everything concerning Jesus life, death, and ressurection was foretold, but that wasn't how those prophecies were interpreted by any in Jewish scholarship.

Jesus didn't come with a new message, He came with a new understanding of Scripture. God's Word is scripture, all inspired by God. Jesus never spoke outside of what was already written. Just a new way to understand it.... (All scripture testifies of Him)

While some things in the old testament were once outside of Scripture, they had to be tested to see if they passed the test of the prophet... what does the Bible say? No prophecy came about by a prophets own interpretation of things, but by inspiration of God, but there are false prophets as well we are to look out for. *2 Peter 1:20 - 2 Peter 2:1-2 (or through 3 or so)

Even Jesus had to prove Himself to be sent from God...

Jesus said many things that were outside of Scripture. He was, after all, a living, thinking, emotional human.

Here are just a few examples...

"As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him."

"After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”

As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him."

“What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!” “Be quiet!” said Jesus sternly. “Come out of him!”

"Jesus replied, “Let us go somewhere else—to the nearby villages—so I can preach there also. That is why I have come.”

“See that you don’t tell this to anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to them.”

... and many, many more. These are just a few examples from the first to Gospels; it took me 5 minutes to find them.

Upvote 0