New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't blame me; the following examples from the NT prove that Christians must adhere to OT punishments:

Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children according to Old Testament law. Mark 7:9

Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: “He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.” Matthew 15:4-7
WOW.

first of all, what you quoted was Mark 7:10, not ver 7:9. second, I love how you left out the first three words in that verse:

10For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:

Jesus was merely quoting someone else, NOT saying telling them to kill.

This is just shameless misquoting.

Jesus says, “Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace on earth! No, rather a sword lf you love your father, mother, sister, brother, more than me, you are not worthy of being mine. “Matthew 10:34
“Brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death." Matthew 10:21
1) This is blatant quoting mining. Whatever Christian-hating site you copied these from, put the WRONG verse after the first paragraph in black. after Matthew 10:34, it doesn't say what's written in red. I supposed you're hoping the readers will miss the fact that the following verse (21) isn't supposed to come after verse 34. Shameful.

2) Jesus is NOT commanding ANYONE to go kill.

This is just sad. But then again, Christian-haters going to such lengths for their cause is nothing new.

Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Am I "that" poster?
No. "That" poster was responded to in the post above this one.

The example I gave was in the "context" of the O.T. as you mentioned. I pointed out in the David/Bathsheba example the punishment administered by God for adultery was killing their baby. Since this would have been before Christ so it would be in context of OT law. God gave Moses the law and then God didn't follow it.

Fast forward years later and Jesus also breaks the law by forgiving the prostitute rather than having her stoned. I'm cool with him making the change but that would get us up to three variations on what to do with adulterers. Sorry but is it unreasonable to think God could get it right the first time?
since I never responded to you, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Upvote 0

b&wpac4

Trying to stay away
Sep 21, 2008
✟25,295.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Engaged
This is just sad. But then again, Christian-haters going to such lengths for their cause is nothing new.

Someone being critical of your religion does not make them a hater of your religion. Quite honestly, Christians are very critical of other religions, I'm not sure why most get so shocked that other people would be critical of theirs.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Many topics on this forum are about whether there is a god or not. But what about your judgment on determining that he's actually worth worshipping?
Why not worship Satan instead (hypothetically if you don't believe he really exists) for example.

1) Do you think god programmed you to know he's the good guy or does he allow you to form your own opinion about him with your free will?

2) What is your criteria for determining that your god is moral?

- Ectezus

Which god?

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
If God is real, and all things stem from God, then morality is a non issue because God has set the stage for everything. If I am in charge, I set the rules and no matter what anyone says they cannot alter the reality that I rule the roost.
So god does neither good nor bad. He just does.

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
yes, you're right; if people had followed even the OT laws consistently, their would have been utopia.

the point of responding to that poster was to refute the fallacious notion that if a law is broken, OT punishment is what Christians are supposed to administer.

The Law of Moses was given because people had not been exposed to the high morality that we have enjoyed for the last 2000 years. We think God was being morally evil in the Old Testament by letting the brutality of the day be used in the upward moral progression to Jesus Christ.

Think that by everyone just following the Law of Moses would make this a utopia? We would sure be miserable in that utopia:

Romans 7:7-25 (King James Version)
7What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
8But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
11For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
12Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
13Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
14For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 8:1-2 (King James Version)

1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.