how do you if going to college is right?

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, after not being able to find a job, I decided to go back to college (I'm 52). I'm only taking one class and it is stressing me somwhat.
To me, it's going fast and there's a good bit of homework every time.

I feel myself losing peace and I wonder if this was a right decision.
I would consider a business. I really need money now.

Because I'm spending time on the computer and reading, my time in church is a little threatened. I don't think God made for conflict here?
I'm in choir, taking a bible study.
I'm spending the time I need, but am not grasping the knowledge like I think I need to.

Been to the instructor too when not in class. It's the kind of class where you do most of it on your own time, and you really don't get that much help if you don't understand something.

Pls share any ideas if you can relate.
thanks,
Jan

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you have never been to college before, it can be kind of disconcerting at first. I went back to grad school in my 40s after my divorce. Jugglinge a full time job, and classes and an internship felt overwhelming for three years, but it was worth it. I had no life outside of those three things, except church attendance , which was sparse.

I suggest that you pray and seek the Lord's guidance about this. Spend some quality time with the Lord and really ask Him for guidance, strength and wisdom. He could be using college to stretch you and show you some new areas in which to grow.

Trish

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
If you have never been to college before, it can be kind of disconcerting at first. I went back to grad school in my 40s after my divorce. Jugglinge a full time job, and classes and an internship felt overwhelming for three years, but it was worth it. I had no life outside of those three things, except church attendance , which was sparse.

I suggest that you pray and seek the Lord's guidance about this. Spend some quality time with the Lord and really ask Him for guidance, strength and wisdom. He could be using college to stretch you and show you some new areas in which to grow.

Trish

I do have an associates degree in Accounting. I feel pretty stretched already.
Jan

Upvote 0

justjan

Aug 31, 2004
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jan,

What is your goal for college? How much will it cost you to complete the degree? Is it a degree that is marketable? Will it increase your earning potential enough to justify the time it takes and money it takes to get the degree?

I know some very good bookkeepers who don't have a degree who make a great deal of money working for clients of CPA firms. If you have good skills - meticulous, thorough, organized and willing to clean up unruly client messes you can stay as busy as you would like around my part of the world.

I think that education is a wonderful thing and rarely wasted, but if I were in your shoes and feeling a money pinch, I would be on the phone with every CPA firm in the area looking to get some work so that I didn't have to simultaneously stress out over money and school.

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I was going to college after not being in school for 30 years, I would pick classes that are easy ... at least the first couple semesters.

If you are taking a class where you are doing it mostly on your own, it seems that this type of class isn't right for you.

It sounds like you made a poor choice for your back-to-School debut.
If you stay another term, pick a class that will be
1) Easy to handle, and
2) One where the teacher (himself) can be teaching you.

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
If I was going to college after not being in school for 30 years, I would pick classes that are easy ... at least the first couple semesters.

If you are taking a class where you are doing it mostly on your own, it seems that this type of class isn't right for you.

It sounds like you made a poor choice for your back-to-School debut.
If you stay another term, pick a class that will be
1) Easy to handle, and
2) One where the teacher (himself) can be teaching you.

There is only one choice for college that is not a university. I am with a county program that helps veterans get back on their feet. Yes the certificate is marketable as my AAS esp when I have the computer skills to go with it.
Jan

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Jan,

What is your goal for college? How much will it cost you to complete the degree? Is it a degree that is marketable? Will it increase your earning potential enough to justify the time it takes and money it takes to get the degree?

I know some very good bookkeepers who don't have a degree who make a great deal of money working for clients of CPA firms. If you have good skills - meticulous, thorough, organized and willing to clean up unruly client messes you can stay as busy as you would like around my part of the world.

I think that education is a wonderful thing and rarely wasted, but if I were in your shoes and feeling a money pinch, I would be on the phone with every CPA firm in the area looking to get some work so that I didn't have to simultaneously stress out over money and school.

There is no Quickbooks class here at the college. Not offered now anyways.
Jan

Upvote 0

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am a little confused Janny108.

1) You are a US veteran.
2) You have an AA degree in Accounting.
3) You are un-employed.
4) Your County has a veteran-assistance program.
5) You are taking one class at a College.

If you wish to become employed (by enrolling in this assistance program), it seems to me that taking one class each semester will allow you to get a job in 2017.

If there are specific skills you wish to obtain (which will help you land a Job), in this case QuickBooks, don't waste your time attending a College. There are Adult Schools around. My local one offers classes in QuickBooks.

And, certainly there are private schools which also offer it ... AND full slates of related classes.

Please don't fall prey to the elitist draw of going to a College.
You have proved to yourself that you are not "equipped" to take classes where there's no teacher guiding you through. The other schools I mentioned are geared JUST for people like you ( a long time out of school, and wanting easy-enough classes to learn a specific skill).

Upvote 0
C

ContentInHim

There is no Quickbooks class here at the college. Not offered now anyways.
Jan
Is there a technical or community college nearby? They might have QuickBooks courses. Also, I learned QuickBooks by buying the program for $89 (don't know what it costs now) and working it to pieces. It's really just a sort of glorified Quicken!

Upvote 0