Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God can communicate with us in any way He chooses. But in the record of Scripture, we don't find God using an endless array of methods of communication. In fact, given that He could employ a near-infinite variety of methods, His means of communicating with His creatures is fairly limited. In not a single instance in Scripture do we ever read of God speaking directly into a person's mind. Not once. He speaks from burning bushes, or as an audible voice in the air, or in the midst of thunder and lightning, or through the mouth of a donkey, or in the blinding shekinah glory that filled the temple, or by the visitation of the angel of the Lord. But not once do we read in the Bible of someone hearing God speak to them directly in their mind. Why is that? I suspect it has, at least in part, to do with how easy it is for us to confuse our own thoughts and inner voice with God's.

- Since the Biblical authors weren’t there, for example, when Elohim spoke “…Let there be light: and there was light” (Gen 1:3), it means He gave that information to their minds so they could record it (II Tim 3:16; II Peter 1:20-21) including some prophesies about Yeshua such as Mic 5:2; Isa 7:14; 28:11-13 which they couldn't have known beforehand.

This is entirely an assumption you're making here - in accord with what you already think is true. You presuppose God speaks directly into the minds of people and so you impose this belief on Scripture. This is eisegesis, not letting Scripture speak for itself. If you did let Scripture speak for itself, you would not have any clear, explicit scriptural grounds for thinking that God speaks directly into the minds of people and/or that He does so commonly.

- He puts words in their mouths - Old Testament (Isa 59:21) and NT “But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.” (Matt 10:19). That means He gave them information in their minds so they could speak what He wanted.

Couldn't He direct the speech of His creatures much more subtly and naturally than to dictate to them each word He wanted them to say? I think so. We don't have any account in Acts, for instance, where, say, Peter or Paul first heard a voice in their head and then they began to repeat to others what they heard. No, when Peter spoke to the crowds in Acts 3, although his words were doubtless divinely-inspired, there was no hint that he was speaking things that he first heard in his head. The same is true of Paul when he stood trial before the Jewish council of Pharisees and Sadducees (Acts 22-24). What's more, when God comforted Paul during his trial by the Jews, it wasn't by a soothing voice in his head but with the visible appearance of Christ who said to Paul that he should be of good cheer because he was going to testify of Christ in Rome as well as in Jerusalem. (Acts 23:11) Why wouldn't the same be true of the Old Testament prophets? Why couldn't God have inspired the words of the prophets with the sort of subtle and natural influence that he demonstrates in the New Testament, or even with an in-person appearance? This is certainly what Scripture gives us actual cause to expect rather than a voice in one's mind.

And, again, inasmuch as God has given us the fully-sufficient word of God, the Bible, that "thoroughly furnishes believers unto every good work," that is a "lamp unto our feet and light unto our path," we have no need now of a divine voice in our head.

-“And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him. And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.Luke 2:25-26
-Paul and Timothy “…were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,” Acts 16:6
-Yahweh opened minds and still does (Luk 24:45, II Cor 4:4).

Here, too, you must assume the specific way in which the Holy Spirit communicated to Simeon or Paul and Timothy. And Luke 24:45 says that Christ himself, speaking directly, in person, to his disciples "opened their understanding." I'm rather puzzled by your reference to 2 Corinthians 4:4 in making your case, which says nothing about God opening the minds of people by a voice in their head, but describes the blinding influence of the "god of this world," the devil.

Today, Yahweh continues to speak including to our minds:
- - “But the Counselor, the Ruach HaKodesh, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything; that is, he will remind you of everything I have said to you.” John 14:26

No mention of a voice in one's mind here.

- “And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams.” Acts 2:17 -“… covet to prophesy…” I Cor 14:39 Manifestations of the spiritual gifts (I Cor 12 and 14). Purposes for prophesy includes edification, and exhortation, and comfort (I Cor 14:3) He continues to speak to us and want us to speak what He wants. It serves His purposes.

No mention of a divine voice in one's head here, either. There are, though, visions and dreams that are mentioned. Why use such means, though, if God can speak directly into one's mind?

- “However, when the Spirit of Truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own initiative but will say only what he hears. He will also announce to you the events of the future.” John 16:13

Jesus was speaking to his disciples here specifically. Among them were those who would become the writers of the New Testament, a unique and no longer required role. We have the words of the Spirit of Truth spoken to us through the apostles on the pages of our Bibles and so we need not look today for the sort of Spirit inspiration that was required to give them to us.

- Again OT and NT "... To day if ye will hear His voice, Psa 95:7) and "...the Holy Ghost saith, Today if ye will hear his voice..." (such as Heb 3:7, 15).

And, again, it is an assumption to say this means, "hearing a voice in your head" which would be entirely redundant when we already have God's words to us in the pages of the Bible.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm having a hard time listening to God. Some say you hear Him from you heart. But my sister hears voices from the brain. So, How can I help her too?

I can't help you there, I never really hear him. At least not in an unambiguous way that has me be certain I'm not just talking to myself.

When you say your sister "hears voices from the brain" are you sure it's God and not auditory hallucinations? Or just her throughts??

Upvote 0

Mediakira

Jun 6, 2011
Eaton, Ohio
✟34,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can't help you there, I never really hear him. At least not in an unambiguous way that has me be certain I'm not just talking to myself.

When you say your sister "hears voices from the brain" are you sure it's God and not auditory hallucinations? Or just her throughts??

My sister's voices are in the brain. She thinks they are One God, The other is Jesus and the other one is Satan. And all three are misleading and mean. But she like the Jesus one because He laughs and she loves it. Because Jesus is laughing.

I hear voices too but they want to hurt me and other people. I think there stupid.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,982.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
posted: wants to hurt you and others.

We're to take every thought captive.

Here's an example. Yeshua said "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Matt 5 The guy "looketh on a woman" that's the first thought but he went beyond that in his thoughts. Sometimes we play "recorders" over and over in our minds.

When we recognize that we've going in the wrong direction with our thinking, immediately begin to think of Scripture such as:
-Yahweh loves you with an everlasting love (John 3:16-17, Jer 31)
-“The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.” Job 33:4
-“...even the very hairs of your head are all numbered." Luke 12:7 (that number is constantly changing)
-“The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing." Zeph 3:17
-"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psa 46:1

We can build up our spirits listening to His Word (John 6:63). Suggest: reading Psa 145 aloud. It's a great chapter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0