Oct 26, 2006
Northern Centeral United States
Visit site
✟8,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone, my daughter has not been diagnosed yet but we're expecting it soon. She has an appt with a neuropsychologist in a week and a half for an evaluation.

I am having major problems getting frustrated with her. It's been my only problem as far as in getting along with her for a while, but it's just gotten bad lately. She's in her room right now screaming at the top of her lungs because I sent her in there for throwing a fit. See all morning she's been asking me to put clothes on her that are too small for her (they are in boxes waiting to be put in storage), I tell her no because they are too small and won't fit. Well, she bugged me long enough about one thing I finally put it on her. It was way too tight and so within a minute or two she came back to me and insisted I take it off. I told her no, I just put it on you wait until I'm done here (I was checking my bank account online). And the fit started. Kicking her feet, screaming, telling me I'm making her mad.

This is a big issue you have to understand, this girl will go through 5 outfits a day if I let her. She's obsessive about if one thing gets on her clothes she thinks they're dirty. One drop of water, one crumb, it doesn't matter how small. She feels like she has to change her clothes. It's SOOOO frustrating!! :sigh:

My husband can hardly deal with her at all, so I'm pretty much her main care taker. She really is a sweet little girl, but when she's told to do soemthing she doesn't want to do - watch out. I can usually explain the whole situation to her and then she's fine and undestands. An example is my Mother bought one of those gigantic disks to play with outside for my girls. When we left my mother's house Camille wanted to take it with us, but we told her no it needed to stay there. She started in with a fit right away. So I got down onh er level and explained to her that we don't have room to throw it around at our house and it would go into somebody else's yard, and what if they took it? I said, you wouldn't want somebody to take it would you? Of course she said no and was then fine with leaving it there. Does anybody else have to deal with this? Am I the only one who get's frustrated after a while?

I just want to note also, that fits have never worked in our house. Our oldest doesn't do so much as twitch her legs when she doesn't get her way (we consider that a form of a tantrum). They get sent to thier room right away whenever they behave that way, it's not tolerated. So this isn't a learned behavior from my oldest child, or a trained behavior (meaning we've given in when she's thrown a fit). It's always been and is unacceptable in our house. Yet for her it's a daily occurance.

And then within the past month she's started being a bit mean and aggressive to her baby sister. She doesn't hit her or pinch her or anythin blatently mean. She'll hold on to her legs so she can't crawl, or hold her arms still so she can't move. Another odd behavior is that she's started ripping the baby's toys out of her hands and saying she wants to play with them. I've never seen an almost 5 year old child do this. Her baby sister is 10 months old, so these are pretty much just teethers and stuff to stick in her mouth. Whatever the baby has, Camille will go up to her and rip it out of the baby's hands and say "I want to play with that!" When I tell her she needs to give it back because it's the baby's toy and that she can paly with any of the other baby toys if she wants to, it starts a fit. She's starts crying and says "I'm gonna be mad at you then!" And then she'll throw the baby toy down and storm off to her room, or I'll send her to her room for throwing the fit.

These are just a few things, but she throws things at her older sister in the midst of a fit and at her baby sister. She bother's her baby sister when she's sleeping (in the car), pulling on her arms or legs. It's just getting to be so much, I'm getting tired and frustrated.

Any help?

cookiebaker

May 1, 2007
✟8,011.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
how old is she?? How long do her tantrums last typically? more like 5 minutes, or 50 minutes?

It's good she's going to be evaluted...there are some things that are passed over as just tantrums but in reality more than that, such as what you said an autistic disorder, or childhood bipolar which also causes big tantrums that instead of getting better as child gets older they get worse.

Also you mentioned that your dh wont be involved in her care...this is something that he really *needs* to be more involved, she is his child afterall. YOu will need his support and partnering, so is there a way you can get him to meet with a child psychologist so that you both can get on board as partners for her sake? Someitmes us just asking our dh's to do something doenst register, but if he is made to understand from a professional WHY he needs to get on board, it may prompt him to start being more hands-on as a dad in all this.

Upvote 0

3Princessmom

Oct 26, 2006
Northern Centeral United States
Visit site
✟8,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My dh will be going with us to the first appt. According to the brochure they sent it said they will talk to us to decide what tests to give her, so I told him it would be important for him to be there for that. Then he'll come back for the appt to discuss her results. We've already talked about asking for counselling sessions on how to deal with her, and some explanations on how much she can really understand (that way we don't discipline for something she doesn't really understand).

Upvote 0

skipper

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Md
✟19,416.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My dd has DS we are working on getting her tested for autism. The therapist gave us some good advice that seems to help with her
Use small phrases eat now, get dressed, brush teeth he said that she only digest about 20 percent of what we say so keep it short.
Give her a place to have a temper tantrum. Ours is on the rug in the kitchen, she can scream and kick and it won't disrupt the others.
Stick to a schedule. She learns from repatition.
Take a time out yourself if you get frustrated, I go to the bathroom and turn up the radio and dance for a few minutes.
I hope this helps as I know how tired and cranky I can get dealing with my dd.

Upvote 0