How do you conclude your prayers?

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,537.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Many people with whom I have prayed conclude their prayer with
In Jesus Name we ask it, amen.
But among Catholics it is more common to hear
Glory be to the Father and to the Son
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning,
is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen
Or a similar invocation of the Blessed Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

I wonder if the difference in practise is reflected in some differences of theology?

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
,as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.Amen

That actually originated with how Anglicans translated into English saeculae saeculorum which is the Latin translation of the original Greek best translated as “unto the ages of ages, Amen”

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I think that "world without end" came before the split that Henry VIII created.

The Book of Common Prayer wasnt translated until 1549 and there was no English language liturgy before that, so I doubt it. The BCP had enormous impact on how all other denominations translated into English, similiar to the influence the Novus Ordo Missae has on contemporary language translations. If you recall in 1969 the Pauline Missal’s English translators incorrectly translated et cum spirtu tuo as “and also with you” rather than “and with your spirit”, an error Pope Benedict XVI, memory eternal, ordered fixed in 2010, by mandating the use of the corrected 2002 edition of the Missal this was duplicated in the 1979 BCP and the 1979 Lutheran Book of Worship, and even the 2006 LCMS Lutheran Service Book, but the new ACNA 2019 service book fixes this in accordance with the corrected translation of Pope Benedict XVI.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Episcopalians end many prayers with "...in the name of Jesus Christ Our Lord who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen."

Nice and clean Trinitarianism. Exquisite American Anglicanism, on a par with the music at St. Thomas 5th Ave or St. Philip in Charleston, SC.

Speaking of exquisite Trinitarianism, have you ever seen a facsimile of the exquisite Art Nouveau high-end edition of the 1892 Standard Edition?

Upvote 0