Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had a problem with pride and upon praying it began with my baptism and fellowship amongst other believers. I then learned the need to let go of my desire to cleanse myself of my sinful ways by setting aside a drive to obey the laws of the OT. Instead, I focused on my personal relationship with Jesus.

I would pray each day for hours, which was just thinking along with God's Holy Spirit, about my life and how God works in it. As I surrendered more a my spirit to God my prideful desires left as well. I still spend time everyday with God, in prayer, seeking his will.

There is no greater Father than our Father in heaven.

I like this very much

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would attend a Freewill Baptist foot washing. A good foot washing service, if conducted right, is a wonderful antidote to the proud heart.

I have never attended such a service. Sounds interesting

• Agree
Reactions: DeerGlow
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I like it! Complete and utter dependence upon the Holy Spirit would you agree?

This is the ground upon which the reckoning Paul commands in Romans 6:11 stands. If one is not in full surrender to the Spirit and thereby open to His transforming power, no amount of reckoning oneself dead to sin is going to be of use. However, if one does not know that one is "crucified with Christ, that the body of sin might be destroyed," one cannot live it out, however surrendered one might be.

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is the ground upon which the reckoning Paul commands in Romans 6:11 stands. If one is not in full surrender to the Spirit and thereby open to His transforming power, no amount of reckoning oneself dead to sin is going to be of use. However, if one does not know that one is "crucified with Christ, that the body of sin might be destroyed," one cannot live it out, however surrendered one might be.

So if I understand you correctly, to crucify ourselves we must commit ourselves fully to God and allow one stronger than us to do what we cannot?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So if I understand you correctly, to crucify ourselves we must commit ourselves fully to God and allow one stronger than us to do what we cannot?

It isn't that we must crucify ourselves; that's already been done by Christ (Romans 6:1-6). It is that we must count on it being true that we are, in fact, dead to sin and alive unto God through Jesus Christ. The full effect of this truth upon a believer's life is encountered, however, only as that believer is living in surrender to God's will and way.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It isn't that we must crucify ourselves; that's already been done by Christ (Romans 6:1-6). It is that we must count on it being true that we are, in fact, dead to sin and alive unto God through Jesus Christ. The full effect of this truth upon a believer's life is encountered, however, only as that believer is living in surrender to God's will and way.

I like that you mention Romans 6 for that entire passage is based around baptism.

"Baptized into his death... So that we may walk in newness of life"

• Agree
Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
When we had a plating department in our facility I worked under a chemist. This chemist was very smart and very good at math. When he laid out equations he did so in very neat handwriting and there would be much activity as he turned the results of an analysis into an addition. I would take his calculations and put them in the form of visual basic functions and sub procedures.

Of all the years I worked with this man I had one opportunity to witness to him. I made my presentation while he was analyzing adhesion under a microscope in which you could hear the sounds... Scratch, scratch, scratch! Scratch scratch, scratch! After my presentation he just continued to look under the microscope as if ignored everything I said so I just continued in my work. Then... The scratch scratch, scratching stopped! And he speaks!

"You know what I think it is?" He says while continuing to look under the microscope... "I think it is arrogance!"

And then, without taking his eyes off the microscope, he continues his work... Scratch, scratch, scratch! Scratch scratch, scratch! I did not reply but went about my work. If I had a sick feeling in my stomach, it was that he never did witness the true spiritual light and energies, and those religious folk that he met in his life were arrogant... Which is not the light and energy God would have us present.

If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: - 1 John 1:6
But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. - James 3:14

1. The anointing of God is not human ego (arrogance)
2. If you do not love everyone you dwell in darkness
3. Our gospel truth is not to hold others in bondage
4. There is no denominational superiority... We are all in the flesh and subject to our faults and failures.
5, Even though you feel you may have truth, if it is not accompanied with the appropriate spiritual light, you do not.

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. - 1 John 4:1

we are encouraged in scripture to try the spirits and weigh them to see if they are of God. If you are in the position where you have people over you, and the Spirit is raising red flags, react to that as God would have you to. I remember I use to follow a certain evangelist and I would be warned by a little voice inside of me that there was something wrong with the guy. And sure enough, I would learn of his fall years later.

For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word. - Isaiah 66:2

26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence. - 1 Corinthians 1

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. - Proverbs 16:18

Finally it is not the high and the esteemed that God looks to but to the poor and the lowly. If people get overboard in their ego know that a fall is on the way!

Reactions: Waggles
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Simple question:

How do we rid ourselves of pride?
Simple question, but nightmarishly difficult answer. Pride and ego are not the same but are two sides on one coin. Part of the ego is a need to be seen as relevant, smart, acceptable, important and what not. By not insisting we are right and arguing until the other relents. By not insisting others live according to our viewpoint..
So part of undoing the strings of pride is being willing to be potentially seen as weak, ignorant, irrelevant and what not by NOT pushing our opinions and beliefs on others.
There is a much deeper level as well. Our beliefs. We simply must admit that our beliefs are our current understanding and are likely to be flawed by teachings of men. I realize that facing that rattles our foundations of who we are. Imagine of God told us audibly that some minor belief we hold is way off base and is detrimental to our complete understanding of the spiritual...that thought would attack the essence of our very identities. Then the fight/flight response is triggered and we defend ourselves with pride leading the way.
I'm not sure if it's possible to rid ourselves because pride comes in many shapes flavors and colors.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Simple question, but nightmarishly difficult answer. Pride and ego are not the same but are two sides on one coin. Part of the ego is a need to be seen as relevant, smart, acceptable, important and what not.
So part of undoing the strings of pride is being willing to be potentially seen as weak, ignorant, irrelevant and what not by NOT pushing our opinions and beliefs on others.
There is a much deeper level as well. Our beliefs. We simply must admit that our beliefs are our current understanding and are likely to be flawed by teachings of men. I realize that facing that rattles our foundations of who we are. Imagine of God told us audibly that some minor belief we hold is way off base and is detrimental to our complete understanding of the spiritual...that thought would attack the essence of our very identities. Then the fight/flight response is triggered and we defend ourselves with pride leading the way.
I'm not sure if it's possible to rid ourselves because pride comes in many shapes flavors and colors.

Very good so if we can't rid ourselves is there any hope of ever being free from it?

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Very good so if we can't rid ourselves is there any hope of ever being free from it?
Sure. In my life I can say that when I stopped pushing my agenda and just started being nice and helping others then pride didn't have enough room to work. That's an easy starting point. I realized that I was almost looking for things in others that I saw as wrong and then proceeded to school them. What a jerk pride made me look like and all the time I thought I was helping.
I have to also say that I lived by the notion that I was part of God's chosen people and others were not. Pride told me that I was superior to others. Now, it is true that God has children that He blesses with spiritual blessing and destines to rule over others for a time but being pushy about it reminds me of when Joseph repeatedly told his brothers that they will serve him. I was like Joseph in a way, suggesting that my belief system puts me in a position of authority and control.
Well my lousy attitude brought me much trouble. Not as bad as being sold off but definitely being avoided and cut off.
Until I faced pride square up, I was kind of a typical religious jerk-bag. It's going on three years now and I still have not un-done the damage in many relationships. Pride is a deceiver. Believe me. It continually plants weeds in our relationships that grow up and choke out what little love is left.

Good luck on your quest!

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Simple question:

I watched the movie, "Grapes of Wrath" recently. During the dust bowl and Great Depression a quarter of the nation was unemployed. Farms and houses were lost to foreclosure. Thousands took to the roads and owned no place to lay their heads. There were reports of people starving to death in America. I looked at it and was no longer proud of things I have wasted, things I cannot share, travels that have not been productive, etc. If you are proud, ask God to convict you of your sins, then you might not have as much to brag about.

• Agree
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bangmegafan

May 31, 2016
India
✟42,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Simple question:

]

By believing Jesus and his teachings

Jesus clearly said never be proud of your self..

Luke 14:11
For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Simple question:

Simple answer: You die.

Until then, confess your pride and believe the Gospel. Jesus died for your pride and canceled the debt of sin against you. Now out of thankfulness go practice being humble.

Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Repentance that leads to one humbling themselves before the gospel and God's way.

Funny that you should post this question which I am reading at 7.00 am Monday morning in Australia.
Just yesterday at our Sunday afternoon communion meeting (at which we operate the spiritual voice
gifts of the Holy Spirit - diversities of tongues, interpretation, and prophecy) Bill gave a prophecy on
pride.
I am paraphrasing here: The Lord said that men love to join organizations that have rules and give one
a sense of belonging and purpose because they follow the rules laid out for membership and continuing
in that organization. And people are happy to do that.
BUT when it comes to the rules (commandments) laid down in the gospel men think that they can enter into the Kingdom of God by making up their own rules, and doing it their way.
This is because of pride which gets in the way of people humbling themselves and becoming obedient
to my commandments. Pride deceives men that they know better than me (God) who put into place a
plan for salvation that was delivered unto men by my Son who died for that plan of salvation.
My commandments are there for a reason that men learn to humble themselves and come unto me
with a contrite heart, and abandon their vain thoughts.

The Lord went on to say a lot more - did I not say that a man must be born again of water and my Spirit, and yet this is denied because of pride ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dont judge others, which has its roots in pride and thinking you are better than someone else. ONe I personally try to do is not consider myself better than anyone else. I know I am the product of nature and nurture and so is everyone else. Who am I to judge them and how they turned out after their lives.

Upvote 0