• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured How do we rid ourselves of pride?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by ByTheSpirit, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Adstar

Adstar Well-Known Member

+1,345
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Single
    By coming to an accurate view of ourselves by reading the Bible.. And by not denying the truth about our current condition..

2. woobadooba

woobadooba Legend

+856
    Christian
    Married
    Practice humility.

3. ByTheSpirit

ByTheSpirit Pray always!!

+3,052
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Let's say a person wants to serve others but is afraid to for whatever reason. How would you say they overcome that fear (which is normally a fruit of pride)

4. ByTheSpirit

+3,052
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Then how is pride removed?

5. ByTheSpirit

+3,052
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Humility goes against the flesh that wants to exalt itself (pride). So how do we practice what is contrary to our given nature of the flesh?

6. ByTheSpirit

+3,052
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Is this is though? Only through the Bible?

7. ByTheSpirit

+3,052
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    More of pride that exalts self and seeks to please self.

8. ByTheSpirit

+3,052
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I like what you say here but as I have asked others, and I don't mean to be difficult or facetious:

How do we do this?

How can I crucify myself?

How is that possible? Or is it even possible?

9. ByTheSpirit

+3,052
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    But pride is as natural to a human as breathing. Since birth we are taught to be proud in who we are. Even those who are taught that specifically knownthey must take care of themselves, mostly at the expense of others. So how do we get rid of it?

10. pshun2404

pshun2404 Newbie

+489
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Even though most assume God has forgiven them we need to confess to Him in contrition (agree with God about our sins...calling our good, good, and our evil, evil)...so if you really re-consider your sins this should do it (and I did not say dwell on them)

11. ByTheSpirit

+3,052
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I have an idea, but I want to see if someone else can say what I think before I give what I believe to be the answer. This is a good discussion I think.

12. ByTheSpirit

+3,052
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Ah on the right track I think. :thumbsup:

13. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,969
    Christian
    Married
    Take a smaller step.

But take a step. There is someone called the Holy Spirit who has been so far ignored in this entire thread.

If a person is actually filled with the Holy Spirit, that Spirit will compel him to take a step.

I'm reading a lot of advice for solitary navel-gazing...no. Christianity is not a solitary activity. Being a member of the Body of Christ calls for participation in what the Body is called to do. A part of the body that does not participate with the body gets sloughed off.

14. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+2,858
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    We don't. God does.

Pride is just another of the many symptoms of Self at work. It isn't, then, pride of which we need to be rid, but Self. God knows this, of course, and in the work of Christ on the cross dealt with Self. His solution wasn't remediation of Self, but death. (See Romans 6, Galatians 2:20; 5:24; Colossians 3:3). The blood of Christ cleanses me from the stain of sin but it is the cross of Christ that deals with the source of my sin which is Self. As I more and more reckon myself "dead to sin and alive unto God" (Romans 6:11), as I acknowledge the truth that I am co-crucified with Christ and by that co-crucifixion Self is rendered powerless, I enter into an experience of freedom from Self, the source of all my sin. This is all enabled by the Holy Spirit who is the power source for all Christian living. (Romans 8:13)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. woobadooba

woobadooba Legend

+856
    Christian
    Married
    I would suggest carefully examining how Jesus treated others, and doing the same.

I think too little of this is being done among Christians, because many worldly pursuits are in the way. We need to change our focus, to center our thoughts on what is pleasing to God.

16. ByTheSpirit

+3,052
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Good thoughts! Thank you

17. ByTheSpirit

+3,052
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Sounds a lot like Zechariah 4:6 and I like it

18. ByTheSpirit

+3,052
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I like it! Complete and utter dependence upon the Holy Spirit would you agree?

19. Yarddog

Yarddog Senior Contributor Supporter

+2,535
    Catholic
    Married
    I had a problem with pride and upon praying it began with my baptism and fellowship amongst other believers. I then learned the need to let go of my desire to cleanse myself of my sinful ways by setting aside a drive to obey the laws of the OT. Instead, I focused on my personal relationship with Jesus.

I would pray each day for hours, which was just thinking along with God's Holy Spirit, about my life and how God works in it. As I surrendered more a my spirit to God my prideful desires left as well. I still spend time everyday with God, in prayer, seeking his will.

There is no greater Father than our Father in heaven.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+6,222
    Pentecostal
    Single
    I would attend a Freewill Baptist foot washing. A good foot washing service, if conducted right, is a wonderful antidote to the proud heart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List