Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I want Christian and non Christians it on this, because in a lot of ways, we're all in this together. A stronger Christianity, properly done, results in a better world for everyone.

So how do we do this? How do we bring about a Christianity that helps everyone out?

And I hate feeling like we need to beg for this, but please show respect in your replies. This thread & this subforum are designed to bring us together. Christians, we bicker too much already, and I hear the in-fighting of Christianity as the most common complaint against & reason to not join our beautiful faith. Non-Christians, you know I am showing an immense amount of respect by allowing you in on these discussions; please reciprocate this respect as you reply.

I wish blessings upon all of you, in whatever manner you understand them; may we all work together to build a better world for all!

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I want Christian and non Christians it on this, because in a lot of ways, we're all in this together. A stronger Christianity, properly done, results in a better world for everyone.

So how do we do this? How do we bring about a Christianity that helps everyone out?

And I hate feeling like we need to beg for this, but please show respect in your replies. This thread & this subforum are designed to bring us together. Christians, we bicker too much already, and I hear the in-fighting of Christianity as the most common complaint against & reason to not join our beautiful faith. Non-Christians, you know I am showing an immense amount of respect by allowing you in on these discussions; please reciprocate this respect as you reply.

I wish blessings upon all of you, in whatever manner you understand them; may we all work together to build a better world for all!

Christians in general (all faiths) need to walk the walk and not just talk the talk. Many are just talking the talk .... their actions don't correspond with their beliefs and those that don't put a "stain" on whatever church they are attending.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you may need to be more specific about what you mean by "stronger". Are you referring to financial aspects, political aspects, reputation, influence on culture, expansion of membership, unifying denominations or something else?

• Agree
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Morning prayer, Evening Prayer, frequent confession, daily Bible reading, more silence when it comes to issues of faith. That would go a long way.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you may need to be more specific about what you mean by "stronger". Are you referring to financial aspects, political aspects, reputation, influence on culture, expansion of membership, unifying denominations or something else?
My opinion is that Alex is asking for what you think can make Christianity stronger, and this can include what you feel stronger needs to mean.

What do you believe is strong and therefore what Christianity needs?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If people had good evidence that it were true--it would be very strong.

and what would be good evidence to you ... convincing you of God the Creator?

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My opinion is that Alex is asking for what you think can make Christianity stronger, and this can include what you feel stronger needs to mean.

Personally, I think it's the sum of all of the things I listed, if not more; I could write a thesis.
But given the themes of humility, forgiveness, the meek inheriting the Earth, and turning the other cheek, I don't think strength is something Christianity (or any religion, really) should be seeking.

And to be honest, I think Christianity is already the dominating influence in the US. What more do you want?

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
and what would be good evidence to you ... convincing you of God the Creator?
I am not sure, but if God is real, he would know and could easily do it. The fact that he doesn't either means he can't, he isn't there, or doesn't want to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,100.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Sorry but Jesus said that if they hate you KNOW that they hated me also! There's no such thing as "we're all in this together". If we're ALL in this together the other side of all shouldn't get offended at the things Jesus says are necessary. They do however so they'll be the first ones to tell you we're not all in this together.

Christians, we bicker too much already,

There's always a place one could say Christians engage many times in unnecessary debate. There's always a place to say likewise that the genuine things of the faith need to be defended.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
It would be much better if those Christians who believe that all non-Christians are going to Hell would simply tell non-Christians that it is up to God who will go to Heaven, instead of insisting that all non-Christians automatically go to Hell, no matter what.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sorry but Jesus said that if they hate you KNOW that they hated me also! There's no such thing as "we're all in this together". If we're ALL in this together the other side of all shouldn't get offended at the things Jesus says are necessary. They do however so they'll be the first ones to tell you we're not all in this together. ...

By contrast with what you said let me offer things you have never ever heard of:

- there is a distinction between being saved and entering into the Kingdom of Heaven / God
- Jesus did not appoint elders to ration His gifts
- don't try to do evangelising or "apologetics". Unless God and not man has led you.
- Holy Spirit power is power for caring
- I believe in shopping list prayer. The praise of Jesus is to show Him we know He is the one to go shopping from without price, for the needs of His people, and our fruitfulness, and just government
- To sum up the entire Old & New Testaments, the worship of God is to not stunt the growth of your fellow adopted widows & orphans in Father's firm
- I believe in Cafeteria Christianity: eat everything on the menu, but not all at once - keep coming back
- Research, and seek in meditation and discussion, meanings attaching to Scripture.
- Use marginal cross-references at all times
- Holy Trinity is about making space for the other other
- take no notice of body language or talking the talk. Listen to people's words.
- my minusses are your plusses

I have said the Our Father and Glory Be for you.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
But given the themes of humility, forgiveness, the meek inheriting the Earth, and turning the other cheek, I don't think strength is something Christianity (or any religion, really) should be seeking. ...

You've picked good themes. Perhaps Alex means strength to not be rotten - the way an orchid, a lily or a humming bird can be strong, or a child that looks after a frail elderly person.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I'm drawn to the picture that the Medieval woman Mystic Marguerite Porete wrote. The image she drew is that there are two churches. The first she called the High Holy Church. That church preaches "Love". The other church she called the Little Holy Church. That church preaches rules, laws and order. I feel that to make Christianity stronger that it needs to preach Love very loud and clear for all the world to hear.

As a side note, Porete was burned at the stake by the Little Holy Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If people had good evidence that it were true--it would be very strong.

Yes! And if Christians believed it were, by using their own degrees of inference (as opposed to claimed assumption), it would help!

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I actually think your OP is too broad and to inclusive. I can think of several things that could be largely contradictory.

1) Go Big on The Social Gospel

This is one that I think lots of people would like. Basically if the Church wanted too, Christians in American could effectively eliminate poverty. They could open up all churches to homeless people and make ministry to the poor a major area of ministry. And lots of people would really like this, especially non-Christians. However goverment is already doing a lot of this, and government is not really looking after people's spiritual needs etc. And well I have heard some horror stories of thing going wrong.. which I wont get into except to say that homeless people using churches do not have the same concern for facilities as regular church members.

2) Get More into the Bible, as far as serious Bible study.

I wont describe this one, since you probably hopefully have some ideas on it. Popular with Christians, Protestants especially but less so with the secular folks.

3) The Church should stand up on social issues, especially Culture Wars issues concerning traditional Christian values etc. This is much like 2) I would however say concerning 2 and 3 if you study Church Growth etc. the more conservative ones tend to do better. (Church denominations and individual congregations that are more conservative tend to grow, or at least decline slowly, compared to progressive ones that are in rapid decline in membership).

Anyway it might be better to refine or narrow the kind of question or group of questions you are looking for.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Focusses of belief:

- Is 55, 58, 61
- James
- Prov 31:10-31
- parables of Jesus
- everything about the crown, and about talents
- Paul's way of building up others, while the superapostles tore us down
- the feeding of the thousands (the inconsiderable gift of the inconsiderable one; how the insiders were fed)

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
The Church should stand up on social issues, especially Culture Wars issues concerning traditional Christian values...
You should also discuss this idea on the religion and social policy thread, it would be interesting.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
1) Go Big on The Social Gospel

This is one that I think lots of people would like. Basically if the Church wanted too, Christians in American could effectively eliminate poverty. They could open up all churches to homeless people and make ministry to the poor a major area of ministry. And lots of people would really like this, especially non-Christians. However goverment is already doing a lot of this, and government is not really looking after people's spiritual needs etc. And well I have heard some horror stories of thing going wrong.. which I wont get into except to say that homeless people using churches do not have the same concern for facilities as regular church members.

Theoretically, this isn't a bad idea but I can practically guarantee many churches will impose a religious requirement like having to participate in prayer, attend services, adopt a Christian lifestyle or even convert to receive assistance. We've heard of this before; Christian dominionists explicitly say the government should leave it completely to the Churches so they can proselytize and if people feel a sense of debt, they might look the other way for misbehavior. And when some Christians are fighting so hard for the right to discriminate against certain groups of people, I personally find it a little laughable to think they're going to open their doors without some catch.

2) Get More into the Bible, as far as serious Bible study.

I wont describe this one, since you probably hopefully have some ideas on it. Popular with Christians, Protestants especially but less so with the secular folks.

You might need to clarify this.
I've been told many times that non-Christians can't hope to understand the Bible without the Holy Spirit which we can only get by accepting the Bible. So that's a big demotivator. Which Bible? Should we study all the interpretations and decide for ourselves?

3) The Church should stand up on social issues, especially Culture Wars issues concerning traditional Christian values etc. This is much like 2) I would however say concerning 2 and 3 if you study Church Growth etc. the more conservative ones tend to do better. (Church denominations and individual congregations that are more conservative tend to grow, or at least decline slowly, compared to progressive ones that are in rapid decline in membership).

Are you suggesting that strength means imposing your personally held religious beliefs on others?

Upvote 0