How do people not see that God is 3 in 1?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 John 5
7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

And then there are those who claim the Bible has errors to try to get around this verse or other verses, but the Bible says

2 Timothy 3
16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and isprofitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Psalms 12
6The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Mark 13
31Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Proverbs 30
5Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

What's going on through their minds?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
the trinity is something you experience or do not experience. sin subjects the creation to separation and fragmentation. the unity aspect of the trinity would be mind boggling in and of itself without the help of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
John, how do you view the Trinity? There are many people out there that have false misconceptions about God's plural nature.

God is 3 in 1.

Father, Son, Holy Spirit. but 1 God.

That's all I know with certainty

But I have an experimental theory which I do not yet hold with utmost confidence

That it is like Body, Soul, and Spirit.

Just like humans have a Body, Soul, and Spirit.

Which may be referring to being made in the image of God.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
God is 3 in 1.

But I have an experimental theory which I do not yet hold with utmost confidence

I've been told in the past that this is actually modalism, so I just stick with the diagram and explain from those points.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

This may be helpful for someone new to the faith: Athanasian Creed

It is true that it is likely a false attribution to Athanasius for many reasons, yet this is a good consistent view that is both biblical and incomprehensible. There are other works of certain church fathers, Greek and Latin, that do justice to this high and mysterious doctrine of God's being (although there is minor differences between the two sides).

• Winner
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
1 John 5
7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

And then there are those who claim the Bible has errors to try to get around this verse or other verses, but the Bible says

2 Timothy 3
16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and isprofitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Psalms 12
6The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Mark 13
31Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Proverbs 30
5Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18 (NKLV)

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings JohnB445,
1 John 5: 7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
2 Timothy 3: 16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and isprofitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Psalms 12: 6The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
Mark 13:31Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.
Proverbs 30:5Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Most scholars recognise that 1 John 5:7 is spurious, even many Trinitarian scholars. Barnes Notes gives a reasonable assessment. Most modern translations omit 1 John 5:7, and some with hardly a mention because they accept that 1 John 5:7 is spurious. What is going on in my mind is that 1 John 5:7 is not the Word of God.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
God is 3 in 1.

The most difficult thing about the Christian concept of the Trinity is that there is no way to perfectly and completely understand it. The Trinity is a concept that is impossible for any human being to fully understand, let alone explain. God is infinitely greater than we are; therefore, we should not expect to be able to fully understand Him. The Bible teaches that the Father is God, that Jesus is God, and that the Holy Spirit is God. The Bible also teaches that there is only one God. Though we can understand some facts about the relationship of the different Persons of the Trinity to one another, ultimately, it is incomprehensible to the human mind. However, this does not mean the Trinity is not true or that it is not based on the teachings of the Bible.

The Trinity is one God existing in three Persons. Understand that this is not in any way suggesting three Gods. Keep in mind when studying this subject that the word “Trinity” is not found in Scripture. This is a term that is used to attempt to describe the triune God—three coexistent, co-eternal Persons who are God. Of real importance is that the concept represented by the word “Trinity” does exist in Scripture. The following is what God’s Word says about the Trinity:

1) There is one God (Deuteronomy 6:4; 1 Corinthians 8:4; Galatians 3:20; 1 Timothy 2:5).

2) The Trinity consists of three Persons (Genesis 1:1, 26; 3:22; 11:7; Isaiah 6:8, 48:16, 61:1; Matthew 3:16-17, 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14). In Genesis 1:1, the Hebrew plural noun "Elohim" is used. In Genesis 1:26, 3:22, 11:7 and Isaiah 6:8, the plural pronoun for “us” is used. The word "Elohim" and the pronoun “us” are plural forms, definitely referring in the Hebrew language to more than two. While this is not an explicit argument for the Trinity, it does denote the aspect of plurality in God. The Hebrew word for "God," "Elohim," definitely allows for the Trinity.

In Isaiah 48:16 and 61:1, the Son is speaking while making reference to the Father and the Holy Spirit. Compare Isaiah 61:1 to Luke 4:14-19 to see that it is the Son speaking. Matthew 3:16-17 describes the event of Jesus' baptism. Seen in this passage is God the Holy Spirit descending on God the Son while God the Father proclaims His pleasure in the Son. Matthew 28:19 and 2 Corinthians 13:14 are examples of three distinct Persons in the Trinity.

3) The members of the Trinity are distinguished one from another in various passages. In the Old Testament, “LORD” is distinguished from “Lord” (Genesis 19:24; Hosea 1:4). The LORD has a Son (Psalm 2:7, 12; Proverbs 30:2-4). The Spirit is distinguished from the “LORD” (Numbers 27:18) and from “God” (Psalm 51:10-12). God the Son is distinguished from God the Father (Psalm 45:6-7; Hebrews 1:8-9). In the New Testament, Jesus speaks to the Father about sending a Helper, the Holy Spirit (John 14:16-17). This shows that Jesus did not consider Himself to be the Father or the Holy Spirit. Consider also all the other times in the Gospels where Jesus speaks to the Father. Was He speaking to Himself? No. He spoke to another Person in the Trinity—the Father.

4) Each member of the Trinity is God. The Father is God (John 6:27; Romans 1:7; 1 Peter 1:2). The Son is God (John 1:1, 14; Romans 9:5; Colossians 2:9; Hebrews 1:8; 1 John 5:20). The Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3-4; 1 Corinthians 3:16).

5) There is subordination within the Trinity. Scripture shows that the Holy Spirit is subordinate to the Father and the Son, and the Son is subordinate to the Father. This is an internal relationship and does not deny the deity of any Person of the Trinity. This is simply an area which our finite minds cannot understand concerning the infinite God. Concerning the Son see Luke 22:42, John 5:36, John 20:21, and 1 John 4:14. Concerning the Holy Spirit see John 14:16, 14:26, 15:26, 16:7, and especially John 16:13-14.

6) The individual members of the Trinity have different tasks. The Father is the ultimate source or cause of the universe (1 Corinthians 8:6; Revelation 4:11); divine revelation (Revelation 1:1); salvation (John 3:16-17); and Jesus' human works (John 5:17; 14:10). The Father initiates all of these things.

The Son is the agent through whom the Father does the following works: the creation and maintenance of the universe (1 Corinthians 8:6; John 1:3; Colossians 1:16-17); divine revelation (John 1:1, 16:12-15; Matthew 11:27; Revelation 1:1); and salvation (2 Corinthians 5:19; Matthew 1:21; John 4:42). The Father does all these things through the Son, who functions as His agent.

The Holy Spirit is the means by whom the Father does the following works: creation and maintenance of the universe (Genesis 1:2; Job 26:13; Psalm 104:30); divine revelation (John 16:12-15; Ephesians 3:5; 2 Peter 1:21); salvation (John 3:6; Titus 3:5; 1 Peter 1:2); and Jesus' works (Isaiah 61:1; Acts 10:38). Thus, the Father does all these things by the power of the Holy Spirit.

The following chart will help show how the doctrine of the Trinity is systematically derived from Scripture.
Trinity Chart.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Romans 8
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do people not see that God is 3 in 1?

Perhaps the reason is these:

But if the Spirit of him who raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised up Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
Romans 8:11

Don't you know that you are a temple of God, and that God's Spirit lives in you?

1 Corinthians 3:16

By what the Bible tells, God lives in Jesus, and also in disciples of Jesus. So, it is more than 3, I hope. :)

I have understood Jesus is the corner stone of God’s temple. His disciples are the other stones.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
IF YOU TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT YOURSELF,,,YOU HAVE 4 ITEMS OF IMPORTANCE IN YOU, ONE NOT IMPORTANT BUT THIER,,, MAKING 5,,,,THIERS YOU OF THE FLESH/YOUR VERY IMPORTANT SPIRIT/SOUL...THE TRINITY(FATHER/SON/HOLY SPIRITS/HELPERS).. THATS 4 AND LAST AND LEAST SATAN AND DEMONS,,EVERYONE HAS DEMONS OF SOME KIND,,,,THATS 5,,,AND IF YOU BELIEVE IN RE-INCARNATION,,I DO I HAD ONE IN ME AND DROPPED HIM OFF IN ONE OF MY DREAMS,,WOW I FELT THE LOSS WHEN I WOKE UP!!,(SOMEONE UP IN WAITING HEAVEN THAT HAS DECIDED TO COME BACK.OR SENT BACK BY GOD....WHEN SOMEONE IS NEWLY BORN. THATS 6.....SINCE I KNOW MY DREAMS AND WHAT THEY ARE,,,(SPIRITUAL REALM)...LOOKS LIKE MY FAMILY HAS 40-50 DEMONS PASSED ONTO US BY FAMILY ANCESTORS MOVED ON!!!,,,WELL ALL IN ME ??? I COME INTO A ROOM IN MY DREAMS AND THIERS 40-50 OF THEM WAITING FOR ME,,ONLY 3-5 REACT,,,WHY DO ALOT OF PEOLPE THINK BAD THINGS EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE VERY GOOD PEOPLE?,,,AND HOW MANY HOLY SPIRITS DOES ONE HAVE/ YOU COULD HAVE 30-40 AS WELL..OR 3-4....VARIES..RIGHT NOW I HAVE 1-2 CLOSE BY ME,,THEY ARE SEEING HOW I REACT TO THE DEMONS IN MY DREAMS,,,(SPIRITUAL REALM)...YOU HAVE SO MANY IN YOU..YOU CAN'T COUNT THEM..ONLY GOD KNOWS!...BUT I KNOW THEY ARE ALL THIER IN YOU!!! AMEN

ALL CAPS is difficult to read.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Was it the Spirit of the Father that came upon Mary or someone else?

Mat 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Luk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Mat 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

Luk 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
So how is this third person of the trinity not Jesus' Father? I thought God the Father was, not the Holy Spirit? Seems like there might be a problem....

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So how is this third person of the trinity not Jesus' Father? I thought God the Father was, not the Holy Spirit? Seems like there might be a problem....

Did you intentionally not capitalize the t in Trinity? Do you not accept the Trinity?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have to admit when I first came to Christ I was so ignorant and I didn't believe in the Trinity. Today? I believe but God has placed that belief in my heart. God has been three in one from the beginning of time. That's why in Genesis God says let US create mankind in OUR image and not Let ME create mankind in MY image. I was a fool to deny the Trinity and I am a fool today for not believing in a lot of things.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Did you intentionally not capitalize the t in Trinity? Do you not accept the Trinity?
Just seems odd doesn't it that the Father is said to be Jesus' father but it was another person, the Holy Spirit that impregnated Mary. How does that make the Father, the Father?

Upvote 0