How do I know....it's the Holy Spirit and not my own fickle self?

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I should have added that maybe I'm only interested in liturgical/sacramental Christianity answers only. I don't want to argue the sacramental/regenerational-symbolic only baptism or Lord's Supper. I already have a strong sacramental view of the sacraments, I'm not gonna change my mind, so the above post is not helpful at all. Sorry.

Reactions: Andrei D
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,063.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
up thread - a very short time ago ~Anastasia~ a Senior Ambassador here posted this

Welcome to all our visitors. Please be aware of where you are posting. We welcome all people in fellowship, but this is not a debate area (we have one if anyone wants - St. Justin Martyr's). And teaching against a particular congregation's doctrines is not allowed in any congregational forum.

Just wanted to get that said - busy at Church tonight and I'd rather save the mods having to do cleanup. :)

I would like to re-inforce this by asking that non-members of TAW [ i.e. non-Orthodox Christian posters ] re read the SOP for TAW Statement of Purpose - The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox Statement of Purpose and ensure that their posts are in line with this.

You are most welcome to post here - in fellowship - but should you wish to dispute our beliefs we would be most grateful if you would do that in St. Justin Martyr's Corner: Debate an Orthodox Chr

Thank you for your consideration in this matter

ANHELYNA - SENIOR AMBASSADOR MEMBER

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To see the official Catholic teachings, there's a book called "The Catechism of the Catholic Church". To put it simply, the Bible is the Word of God, and the Catechism is its application. It explains Church teachings in a fairly easy-to-read style, and is available for free on the Vatican's website, or pretty cheap if you want a physical book. (I just got a copy from my church). I'm sure Orthodox has something similar
We call it the Liturgy :)

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My son is Orthodox - I have THE ORTHODOX STUDY BIBLE and love the commentary notes.

I grew up Methodist - never considered it "the one true church" -- just one true church out of many.

I still like Methodist, also some non-denom...

I went to my son's Ortho Church for his chrismation -- the building use to be a Baptist Church where I once sang in a Christian rock band.

My Dad went to Methodist church from age 3 til he passed away at 96 - taught sunday school up to the last two years.

He said it don't make a "Hill of Beans" which church you go to - long as you go
I do want to get the Orthodox Study Bible-I've been eyeballing it for awhile-
I think part of the problem is the Orthodox church wasn't really even on my radar screen- I didn't even know exactly what it was until I was about 35 years old!

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't overlook Prodromos' post above. The question of whether or not the Holy Spirit is leading us individually in moving closer or farther away from a particular tradition can't really be answered as asked, since when you yourself are in that space of indecision or just beginning to learn, it is entirely too easy to look at things and say "Was I wrong then, or am I wrong now, and what about all these other people and other traditions which would say that the Holy Spirit guides them/people into them?"

The Orthodox take very seriously the principle of lex orandi, lex credendi -- that we are to pray as we believe, and believe as we pray. So when you go to liturgy, you see what the Church believes by seeing what and how it prays, and then you are freed from matters of individual variation and the pressure that we get it right in discerning what is God and what is ourselves, when obviously if we could be the arbiter of that ourselves just because we recognize that it is important to make this distinction, then you wouldn't need to ask the question as you have. :)

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't overlook Prodromos' post above. The question of whether or not the Holy Spirit is leading us individually in moving closer or farther away from a particular tradition can't really be answered as asked, since when you yourself are in that space of indecision or just beginning to learn, it is entirely too easy to look at things and say "Was I wrong then, or am I wrong now, and what about all these other people and other traditions which would say that the Holy Spirit guides them/people into them?"

The Orthodox take very seriously the principle of lex orandi, lex credendi -- that we are to pray as we believe, and believe as we pray. So when you go to liturgy, you see what the Church believes by seeing what and how it prays, and then you are freed from matters of individual variation and the pressure that we get it right in discerning what is God and what is ourselves, when obviously if we could be the arbiter of that ourselves just because we recognize that it is important to make this distinction, then you wouldn't need to ask the question as you have. :)
Oh gosh thank you for this so helpful and that was exactly how I've been feeling!(Was I wrong then am I wrong now,ect)

• Friendly
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been looking at GOARch as this is the closest church to me. Too bad it's so far, and I work a lot of Sundays, I'm able to get to very early service at my own church and then to work, but I would need a whole Sunday off for a DL, just the drive time for one thing, I'm off maybe every 4th Sunday.
I need a new job...sigh. Plus don't even get me started on whether places of business should be open on Sundays, with the exception of essential services, such as hospitals, gas stations, broadcasting, ect.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I live like 65-70 miles from my parish. It’s a pain in the tushy buns driving up there. I’ve gotten used to it for the most part, but many times I hate it. At my parish, if I miss Liturgy, I get a bunch of texts asking “is everything ok? Are you alright?” etc. etc....

It seems these folks pay more attention to me as Mr. Commuter and feel I’m so “all-in” and dedicated that when I am not there, they think something is off. It gets on my nerves, but they tell me it’s a compliment lol.

You have to see the drive as a detox, a time to rest your mind, conversation opportunity with your spouse or kids. But it does suck up your day. If you go Orthodox, it’s a massive commitment. Sunday for us is 7:30am until 2:30pm
or so up in Fresno. Saturday is our only “catch-up” day, period. If you’re out of work and having tough times with $$$, then you might only go to church 2 times per month. My wife is an RN and she only goes 1-2 times some months because of work. Other months 3 times or so. Depends. My priest and parishioners know....

Take baby steps. Pray. Keep reading. Visit a DL. Pray some more! I took an entire year before committing to chrismation! My wife was gung-ho. I took more convincing.

Hang in there and keep visiting TAW. We’re here for you no matter what. You won’t get high-pressured or treated like we’re selling you anything. Orthodoxy is something to experience, feel with all senses, learn, and grow into with love and faith. The Liturgy is our best catechism and the most lovely event you can know.

I've been looking at GOARch as this is the closest church to me. Too bad it's so far, and I work a lot of Sundays, I'm able to get to very early service at my own church and then to work, but I would need a whole Sunday off for a DL, just the drive time for one thing, I'm off maybe every 4th Sunday.
I need a new job...sigh. Plus don't even get me started on whether places of business should be open on Sundays, with the exception of essential services, such as hospitals, gas stations, broadcasting, ect.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only issue here is the bad weather which is possible from Nov-April. We had a huge blizzard with tons of snow April 15Th!! And I don't care to drive much, my husband does but but is kinda "so-so" with getting involved with any church 80 miles away. Our current church is right around the corner.
I probably would eventually want to get some like minded people together to see if they would want to start a mission church but that sounds like a lot of work, if I decide I want to become Orthodox. Right now with the good weather would be the time to visit which I plan on doing if I get a full Sunday off. They also have services other days. I would probably email the priest to see if he had ideas?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it's a good idea to email the priest and ask. And if there are other days, that is just as well.

If you're having to drive so far, consider Orthros. You'd have to get there that much earlier, but it would at least make the drive more worthwhile.

I usually choose good podcasts on Ancient Faith for the drive - or at least I used to before I had to dedicate so much time to learning the chants. It makes good use of the time, makes the drive peaceful, puts you in a good frame of mind for the service, and can teach you a lot.

But I'd definitely contact the priest as he may know something you're not aware of that could help somehow. :)

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Traffic in central Cali is absolutely NOTHING like SoCal or Bay Area!!! Not bad at all....

I lived in Calif moved here in 1990, you didn't have to worry about weather there, just the traffic!!
and of course the wear and tear on your car.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums