Visit site
✟17,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Alright, I've practiced my writing for 2 years on RPG sites, and I think I'm good enough now to get published. However, I need a book first. So... how do I get started writing one?

I've got an idea for a book about a narcissist who tries to achieve immortality- the only problem is, he has to risk his life for it. There isn't much plot made up so far.

The thing is, I don't know where to get started. I'm leaving this broad, so just throw out advice.

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 8, 2005
Ohio
✟18,208.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Getting a fiction book published is much much tougher than getting a non fiction book published, which is tought to do anyway, so its an up hill battle. Just come up with a story and go for it, I want to write a journal, book about training for a marathon, I just dont care about getting it published.

Upvote 0

Lyle

I am last minute stuff
Nov 12, 2003
Home
Visit site
✟11,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Alright, prepare for a lot of rejection. That is the number one key to getting ahead. If you send a poem to 50 magazines/publishers, and one accepts, that's a major victory. You might want to start a bit smaller though... Such as poetry, and establish a name. But yes, it's totally your call.

The best way to start writing is to start writing. Perhaps start with shorter stories while you craft the outline. Craft an outline.

Exposition (Background) :
Rising Action:
Climax:
Falling Action:
Denoument:

Perhaps you may want to start in the middle of things. This is a good way to start. Also, work with complex outline structures. Exposition (background) of the character. Write a survey (find one, a good sized one, on-line) and fill it out for them.

This is a good way to start.

Upvote 0

Tricia4Jesus

when you wish upon a star...
Oct 31, 2005
Southern California
✟14,858.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
http://sfnorthwest.org/notebook/index.php
Alright, I've practiced my writing for 2 years on RPG sites, and I think I'm good enough now to get published. However, I need a book first. So... how do I get started writing one?

I've got an idea for a book about a narcissist who tries to achieve immortality- the only problem is, he has to risk his life for it. There isn't much plot made up so far.

The thing is, I don't know where to get started. I'm leaving this broad, so just throw out advice.

Check this site out... They are a bunch of writers with some very good ideas. And whatever you do... Don't give up writing.

Upvote 0

Tissue

Aug 3, 2004
Houghton, New York
Visit site
✟18,406.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Most important is to plan your book ahead of time. I used to try writing books on the spur of the moment, and while they turned out quite decent (though, admittedly, unfinished), the plot was incredibly flat. Get a few writing books, such as "Fiction Writer's Workshop" by Josip Nokavich.

Upvote 0

Tariel

Reader-Writer-Editor
Apr 25, 2005
✟68,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tissue said:
Most important is to plan your book ahead of time. I used to try writing books on the spur of the moment, and while they turned out quite decent (though, admittedly, unfinished), the plot was incredibly flat. Get a few writing books, such as "Fiction Writer's Workshop" by Josip Nokavich.
It may take some experimenting to find out what works best for you for writing. Some people need a detailed plan to follow--I don't. I have found it better, for me, to let the story go where it will, with only a little guidance.
Another thing that would probably work well, though this may be difficult-I don't know you so I can't say for sure-is to stop thinking that you are writing this book to publish it. Write it for the sake of writing, and then worry about getting it published. THat's my advice, take it or leave it :). But whatever you do, good luck :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

rasplundjr

Nov 2, 2005
Portage, IN
✟16,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well you start a book project exactly the same way you start any other writing project. Figure out what you want to say, then do your research, then plot, figure out where you wnat to start how you want to end and the path that is going to take you there. Then you sit down and do it.

Upvote 0

Slina

Senior Veteran
Jan 6, 2004
Over here at college
Visit site
✟9,691.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'd say one of the more important things to keep in mind when writing a book is that books are pretty long. So that's probably at least several months to get even the rough draft written (depending on how fast you write, and how often you get stuck, and all that). And sooner or later, you're bound to get stuck and have no idea how to get moving without digging the plot into an even deeper hole. And you'll have to keep writing until you get it finished (because if you put it away too long, either you'll never get back to it, or have a terrible time finishing it if you do). This isn't to be mean or discouraging or anything, but just so you're prepared. If you don't feel ready for that yet, then maybe back off and write a few short stories first, and try to get those published. Or if you do feel ready, then just keep in mind that you need to stick at it, regardless of what happens. Even if you have to stop and start the whole thing over (which sadly, I had to do once, since I had chosen about the worst possible viewpoint character...). It helps a lot to make sure you have at least a basic idea of where you're going with the story. Know what the conflict is, know of a way to resolve it, where you want to start and end your story and how to get there, and know your characters as well as possible.

I'm not really sure how much of the plot you need to know, since I personally do terrible with outlines. I've tried mapping out stories in detail before, only to deviate in the second scene, leaving me stranded without a map. Since you haven't written much outside of RPs, though, I'd suggest making an outline in case you do need it. Then if it doesn't work, then at least you know how it's supposed to end, and if you do need it, then it's there.

Also, if all you want is just to get published, and don't need it to be a book, then I'd recommend at least considering a short story first, since there are lots of magazines out there looking for short stories to publish.

Sounds like a neat story idea, btw. :)

Upvote 0