• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How do I get my friends to stop avoiding me?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by Lanae, Dec 6, 2017.

1. eleos1954

eleos1954 Member Supporter

+107
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    No disrespect ... don't touch anyone (friends) unless they touch you first. Respect other peoples "space". If one is standing any closer than a arm's length, that's too close (unless of course circumstances make that impossible, crowds, elevators etc.). Also, never go to a persons work place, never.

God Bless.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  2. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+3,146
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Touching without purpose and without permission is generally seen as unnerving for most people Lanae.
    Do you crave physical human contact or is it just really hard for you to make friends? Because if it is the latter, you should look and see what kind of social opportunities there are for people who have the same interests as you.

3. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,689
    Christian
    Single
    The touching/tickling?...I think she gets it already. :)

As far as her being saved or not...this early in the game, "Christian" listed there on her profile is good enough for me. There just isn't enough to go on to assume anything else. :)

I do think she is lonely though. :(

4. Open Heart

Open Heart Messianic Jewish Catholic

+3,464
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    The way you get them to stop avoiding you is to begin respecting their boundaries. They don't want you touching them, especially tickling them. There are rare moments, like an emotional goodbye, or someone crying, where it is okay to give a goodbye hug. Otherwise you are too close. Even thinking of going to someone's work to confront them shows you have serious problems with boundary issues.

This may be bigger than a forum can help with. My guess is that social skills is a big weakness for you, and that this has been a lifelong problem. You are not alone, and it doesn't make you a bad person. We all have our weaknesses.

My suggestion is that you find a long term life coach or counselor to learn some practical skills. We all have stuff to work on. For example, I'm a loner, and have to learn better how to make friends in real life because I don't know how to take it from "Hi how are you" to "we should have coffee." I have a therapist who helps me role play situations, and then I try them out in real life.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Lanae

Lanae New Member

+37
    United States
    Christian
    Single

Thank you. I found a center call Triangle Life coaching center near my apartment across the street. I set up an appointment for it tomorrow at 9am

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. redleghunter

redleghunter Abide Boldly! Supporter

+14,061
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The above is not cool.

7. Tom Farebrother

Tom Farebrother Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,527
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Some people really don’t like being touched, I’d suggest being careful with people’s personal boundaries/invading personal space until you know them well, and know (from them) what they are comfortable with.

8. Brian Mcnamee

Brian Mcnamee Active Member

+237
    Non-Denom
    Married
    You cannot get them to do anything. 1st you crossed the line by tickling them so it seems you have been to touchy with several individuals. You have then rationalized your behavior as Im just kidding which even if it is true does not take into consideration how you made them feel. If they all started avoiding you at once they probably talked over the similar experiences and decided you are someone that is a bit off. If you want to attempt to repair the friendships you should 1st apologize to them for not respecting their space and tell them you miss them at church and simply ask if they would like to come again. I assume you have their numbers and can text or email them a simple message. They have to choose to want to hang out with you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. LoricaLady

LoricaLady YHWH's

+2,264
    Messianic
    Private
    I would be very offended by someone tickling me. You are getting into their personal space, really disrespecting them. Also, it is not your job to get them to go to Church and that too seems intrusive. To show up at their place of work would be the biggest intrusion of all, seems to me.
    I suggest you get some good books and/or good websites on developing social skills and practice in the mirror or with a smartphone or whatever is helpful.

10. 2Timothy2:15

2Timothy2:15 Well-Known Member

+712
    Christian
    Married
    Philippians 4

8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.

11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

11. Jenniferdiana

Jenniferdiana Well-Known Member Supporter

+625
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    You seem like a friendly person..

12. unfinishedclay

unfinishedclay Newbie

+225
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Hi Lanae. How many female friends do you have?

I think 2 or 3 good female friends is key to good company. Especially if they share your value for laughter and especially if they offer a common goal of integrity.

Any good female friends?

13. Lanae

Lanae New Member

+37
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I have slot of female friends at church and slot of male. Friends at church also. I used to tickle some of my male friends but I don't do that anymore

14. unfinishedclay

unfinishedclay Newbie

+225
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Amen

15. All4Christ

All4Christ +The Handmaid of God Laura+ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+3,898
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I had a friend once who was too touchy feelly for me. I asked her to give me a bit of space, and she did that for me :) Now we are really good friends, but she is respectful of my space and time. Don’t push anything, generally speaking, don’t touch people without permission (a tap on the shoulder may be fine if you can’t get someone’s attention - but I’d avoid even that with your friends that asked you to stop touching hem), and be friendly to them. Don’t push the friendship. If they need space, give it to them - and know that God will always be there for you no matter what happens with friends here on earth. Pray to God when you feel lonely.

I agree with some others...a pet may be really good for you . Before my black lab passed away, she was a balm to my soul many times. She was always happy to be very close and was a constant companion to me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Yoona86

Yoona86 Newbie

+68
    New Zealand
    Non-Denom
    Married
    if you know it is the tickling and touching that is turning them away from you, then maybe stop doing it, but their facial expression and body language should give you a clue in terms of what they are comfortable with

as far as getting them to come back to church, if they are avoiding you, then it is best to give them some space for now, as such it is not a good idea to show up at their work place

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Lanae

Lanae New Member

+37
    United States
    Christian
    Single

sooo kool. I will never going to touch or ticklie, message them everywhere all over the internet, bombard them with text messages, email or call them out of the blue ever again for the rest of my life.

18. fat wee robin

fat wee robin Newbie

+573
    Christian
    Private
    You are a fast learner .:hug:

19. SolomonVII

SolomonVII Well-Known Member

+3,570
    Canada
    Catholic
    Private
    CA-Greens
    It is not often easy making friends, and a lot of us end up doing all the wrong things before we stumble on the right way to meet people. A smile and a hi are probably more effective greetings in the long run than a tickle and a touch. Other than that, the best way to get people interested is to be interesting. Develop your interests and then you will have something to share.

20. Truthfrees

Truthfrees Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter Recovery Team CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team

+2,298
    Word of Faith
    @Lanae

wow you are awesome

you heard the advice and went for it full steam

what an inspiration to see someone change so fast

God Bless you

praying for you

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List