How do I defeat constant sexual temptation?

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
As a man you will always deal with this; it is part of being in the flesh.

But know this, we have confidence that the Lord is gracious and merciful and that he will forgive us.

Remember that we pray in the Lord’s Prayer: “Forgive us our trespasses”.

We can be confident that as we pray those words we will be forgiven our sins.

Also, if you partake of the blessed sacrament of holy communion you can find forgiveness in that gift.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I trust God to change my character, how He is able > Hebrews 12:4-14.

And still I have problems, at age 73. But I find that as much as I am flowing in God's love . . . His love has almighty power to make it easy for me to have my attention to loving. Things bounce off when I am loving. But as my attention gets to lesser things, then is when more and more trouble can get the better of me.

And I am finding, still, how weakness for pleasure can also work as weakness for pain and chaos in me. So > "be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might" > in Ephesians 6:10 > Jesus Christ's "might" is almighty. Feed on this; trust God for this.

God is almighty, His grace is almighty, His peace is almighty to guard my mind and my heart > Philippians 4:6-7, Colossians 3:15.

• Friendly
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Romans 7

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am constantly tempted sexually. I pray to the Lord in Jesus name that He take this temptation away from me at least a time... but it never leaves.

Any advice?

Are you feeding the tempting thoughts at all?

Do you watch inappropriate contentography? Do you look at adult magazines or other materials? Do you watch TV shows, movies, or music videos with scantily clad women or sexually suggestive material?

We humans are sometimes rather bad at constantly presenting ourselves with tempting things, and then begging God to remove the tempting feelings. We have to take an active role in what we allow into our minds and into our lives.

Upvote 0

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I am constantly tempted sexually. I pray to the Lord in Jesus name that He take this temptation away from me at least a time... but it never leaves.

Any advice?

Weight lifting and plenty of it!!! :tearsofjoy:

Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Do you watch inappropriate contentography?

Time was a man could buy a packet of peanuts or a can of bean without a bikini clad lady being printed onto the cover. Not anymore :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Why? So he can raise his testosterone? That we will make him want sex more.

It’s actually considered a positive outlet for energy by most people, unless you’re in that anti male anti physical activity school of thought where lifting a 5 turns people into sex maniacs. :tearsofjoy: Taking on healthy lifestyle habits sounds preferable, rather than whatever’s currently leading him into temptation.

• Agree
Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
It’s actually considered a positive outlet for energy by most people, unless you’re in that anti male anti physical activity school of thought where lifting a 5 turns people into sex maniacs. :tearsofjoy: Taking on healthy lifestyle habits sounds preferable, rather than whatever’s currently leading him into temptation.

Yes, but my point was that raising your testosterone level will actually raise your sex drive.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

codyjess

Nov 18, 2020
virginia
✟15,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Are you feeding the tempting thoughts at all?

Do you watch inappropriate contentography? Do you look at adult magazines or other materials? Do you watch TV shows, movies, or music videos with scantily clad women or sexually suggestive material?

We humans are sometimes rather bad at constantly presenting ourselves with tempting things, and then begging God to remove the tempting feelings. We have to take an active role in what we allow into our minds and into our lives.

Weight lifting and plenty of it!!! :tearsofjoy:

The temptation is from extremely attractive women in my life and work (all married or in a relationship btw) and they all wear form fitting clothes all the time. Its pretty rough.

Regardless when I go home, I am constantly being given sexual thoughts... no matter how many times I ask Jesus to take them away.

Weight lifting definitely makes me more horny.

What way can we defeat sexual thoughts besides giving into them? Is it my fault I have these constant thoughts?

Why isnt the Holy Ghost removing these things from my life? Does He want me to be constantly tempted and tested 24/7? Does He want me to castrate myself, since this desire is built in and apparently wont go away? I would be cool with that, because it is really aggravating.

All other sins are easy to defeat because you just dont lie to steal or whatever and the temptation is defeated and goes away. Sexual temptation is constant and I've never been able to make it go away for more than a minute.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are those who feel it is pretty much ok to sin on an ongoing basis, as long as we constantly ask for forgiveness. And yet others say we don't even need to ask forgiveness, as long as we "say" we have faith. So, just to get it out of the way, all that is incorrect.

We can't just give in to sin using the excuse "We are only human", we must be pro active in doing what we can to stop the sin. True, we may fail along the way, but as they say, and it is so true, Practice makes perfect. Just ask forgiveness and keep trying.

For this particulsr sin, as was mentioned already, if you can't deal properly with the movies we watch, where we go, and such, then do all yoy can to stay away from such temptations. More direct advice would be to put it out if your mind the moment it comes to mind. if we strive to quit thise things, I can assure you there will be improvement, I'm positive if that.

Then once we reach a level where we are doing much better, that will be acompanied by an inner peace that far exceeds what we get out of sin, as we will be pleasing God, along with reassuring ourselves of heaven.

Reactions: chad kincham
Upvote 0

codyjess

Nov 18, 2020
virginia
✟15,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
... if we strive to quit thise things, I can assure you there will be improvement, I'm positive if that.

Then once we reach a level where we are doing much better, that will be acompanied by an inner peace that far exceeds what we get out of sin, as we will be pleasing God, along with reassuring ourselves of heaven.

I've been striving for years and years and its not easier. It gets harder. Sounds like I need to hydrate and purchase some fire retardant clothing for the coming eternity.

Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The temptation is from extremely attractive women in my life and work (all married or in a relationship btw) and they all wear form fitting clothes all the time. Its pretty rough.

Regardless when I go home, I am constantly being given sexual thoughts... no matter how many times I ask Jesus to take them away.

The thing about women is that they love attention, absolutely love it. Wearing revealing clothes is part of that attention grab culture, but there’s something you ought to know as a young man, not only are these women not worthwhile romantic prospects for you, but they’re also a net loss in your life, since they’re attention sinks, fantasy fuel and life traps to the men who take on such trashy dressing women.

They get your attention and you receive a head full of fear and lust and disappointment.

They (either intentionally or by accident) are making you into a beta orbiter, a satellite who orbits these women giving them an ego boost. This happens either in person or in the confines of your thought life, either way you can fill that time up with healthy things that grow you as a man.

They give you nothing though, no future prospects, no happiness, actually frustration is all they offer.

It is poor advice to get married to cure sexual desire, statistics say after the first 5 years of a relationship most men are involuntary celibates :tearsofjoy:

It’s good to know beforehand that much of a relationship isn’t sex, it’s companionship.

And you’d be a lot less likely to have these women filling up your head space if you found some good quality companionship.

You’re in your 30s so don’t feel ashamed of looking, it’s fine and would probably help you see that these other women ain’t no big thing.

Reactions: skyglass
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Weight lifting definitely makes me more horny.

What way can we defeat sexual thoughts besides giving into them? Is it my fault I have these constant thoughts?

Why isnt the Holy Ghost removing these things from my life? Does He want me to be constantly tempted and tested 24/7? Does He want me to castrate myself, since this desire is built in and apparently wont go away? I would be cool with that, because it is really aggravating.

All other sins are easy to defeat because you just dont lie to steal or whatever and the temptation is defeated and goes away. Sexual temptation is constant and I've never been able to make it go away for more than a minute.

We can't speak for God as far as your personal relationship with Him. We do have assurance through His word, that no temptation comes our way except what is common to all mankind, that He will never let us be tempted beyond what we can bear, and that He will always provide a way to escape temptations and remain holy.

Do you purposefully keep your eyes off of these women? Do you catch yourself staring at them, or fantasizing about them? Nobody is forcing thoughts into your head. We're told to bring every thought into obedience in Christ. The moment you catch yourself having a lustful thought, you need to stop immediately and rebuke it in Christ's name.

I don't want to get too personal, but do you allow yourself physical release in other ways? I don't see any problem with someone relieving sexual tension as long as they aren't engaging in lustful thoughts about other people while doing so.

Of course God doesn't want you to be castrated. He made us to be sexual beings. These desires are natural.

But if it's causing you this much distress, to the point where you're saying you'd rather be castrated... I'd suggest maybe visiting your doctor to have your hormone levels tested, among other things. Such thoughts are not healthy.

Upvote 0