How do I avoid feeling like a loser for never reading Harry Potter

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't need to read some link to know witchcraft when I see it. You can parse words and say "Well! I'm not talking about witchcraft even though the book has spells and magic casting etc. etc. all over." Oh, please. As I said to someone else, if you don't see it in the Bible, nothing else I will say will impact you in the slightest. Therefore I will reply to no more of your posts.

I'm sorry I asked a question like that. People argue that Harry Potter doesn't promote Wicca specifically, not that it doesnt have occult themes. Do you disagree?

Upvote 0

MonstersvsMartyrs

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Im 24 years old and like you, never allowed to read or watch Harry Potter because of the witches. A few weeks ago, I watched the movie for the first time, thinking I should really watch it now that Im grown up and see what all the hubbub is about.

So let me save you all the trouble and tell you youre really not missing out on anything lol. My impression after watching it was, "wow, that was really, really bad." Like not bad as in evil bad, just really boring, and I couldnt understand what the big deal over this movie was all about.

I think a lot of Harry Potter fans are either children or were children when they watched it, and have fond memories of reading it as children. But watching it for the first time as an adult, I thought it was really lacking and I was very disappointed. I dont mean to offend anybody who liked it, that is just my personal opinion of it. I was left wishing I hadnt wasted my time. So if I were you, I wouldnt worry about it. Its not that big of a deal.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Im 24 years old and like you, never allowed to read or watch Harry Potter because of the witches. A few weeks ago, I watched the movie for the first time, thinking I should really watch it now that Im grown up and see what all the hubbub is about.

So let me save you all the trouble and tell you youre really not missing out on anything lol. My impression after watching it was, "wow, that was really, really bad." Like not bad as in evil bad, just really boring, and I couldnt understand what the big deal over this movie was all about.

I think a lot of Harry Potter fans are either children or were children when they watched it, and have fond memories of reading it as children. But watching it for the first time as an adult, I thought it was really lacking and I was very disappointed. I dont mean to offend anybody who liked it, that is just my personal opinion of it. I was left wishing I hadnt wasted my time. So if I were you, I wouldnt worry about it. Its not that big of a deal.

Why don't people say Star Wars has witchcraft?

Upvote 0

MonstersvsMartyrs

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Why don't people say Star Wars has witchcraft?
I dont know, but I watched Star Wars and didnt think it was that great, either. But Harry Potter is *all* about magic, thats the entire plot, and as such I felt it lacked deeper meaning, and for that reason it didnt appeal to me.

Upvote 0

Cyprezz

Twin #2
Jan 16, 2013
✟26,923.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the ones knocking you for not reading it are losers.

I also think the ones knocking you for wanting to read it are losers.

My advice: have a quick read if you're interested. If you're convicted about the "witchcraft" in the book then don't read. There's honestly no right or wrong here so I can't see why everyone's getting up in arms over it. I read the full series (I cheated, I'll admit, skipped most of the last two books) and *wahey* I'm unfortunately not a witch. Who'da thunk.

I knew a "witch" in highschool, two actually. The actual stuff is a lot darker than anything you'll fine in those books aha.

Honestly the way some posters are going on in here; you could hold up a broom and they'll hiss and slink back into their caves
:dontcare:

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The million Dollar question is.........Did you forgot about Jesus or have a desire to practice witchcraft, like some of the religious on this thread claims must happen?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I dont know, but I watched Star Wars and didnt think it was that great, either. But Harry Potter is *all* about magic, thats the entire plot, and as such I felt it lacked deeper meaning, and for that reason it didnt appeal to me.

People say star wars is more akin to eastern mysticism.

• Agree
Upvote 0

MonstersvsMartyrs

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟16,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The million Dollar question is.........Did you forgot about Jesus or have a desire to practice witchcraft, like some of the religious on this thread claims must happen?
Nope. And shockingly, when I read about the witch of Endor in the Bible it didnt make me want to become a witch, either. But I guess that was from a little different perspective. Of course, I cant speak for everyone, and some people might feel differently about it than I did. But I did not personally find myself tempted to engage in witchcraft after watching Harry Potter.

But, I dont want to get involved in a debate with anyone, so Im going to refrain from giving my opinion on this matter. Thats why Im only offering my opinion of Harry Potter from an entertainment standpoint and what I thought of it in terms of whether it was a good movie or not. Beyond that, Im going to leave it up to the prudence of those who can decide for themselves with the guidance of God whether it would be ok for them to watch or not.

Anyway, I wish you all the best, God bless.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am almost 21 and I have never read the Harry Potter series because my parents and especially my father banned it from me because of the witchcraft. I feel like I am the only person and I feel really ashamed and stupid because of it. I know I have to obey my parents no matter what. What is your advice? Thank You.

EDIT: Also in addition to ashamed and stupid I forgot to mention loser, which was in my title.
You are not missing too much by not reading the Harry Potter series. You are not stupid, nor a looser and there is no reason to be ashamed. I read Harry Potter some but there are other books I like more, like C.S Lewis. He is a Christian fantasy author

• Agree
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are not missing too much by not reading the Harry Potter series. You are not stupid, nor a looser and there is no reason to be ashamed. I read Harry Potter some but there are other books I like more, like C.S Lewis. He is a Christian fantasy author
Another million dollar question..... did you feel that reading the book pushed you away from God and encouraged you to try witchcraft?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,056,364.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read Harry Potter some but there are other books I like more, like C.S Lewis. He is a Christian fantasy author

Not only fantasy, he wrote many serious Christian books - on pain, prayer etc.

Upvote 0

Late Apex

Apr 18, 2017
USA
✟11,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am almost 21 and I have never read the Harry Potter series because my parents and especially my father banned it from me because of the witchcraft. I feel like I am the only person and I feel really ashamed and stupid because of it. I know I have to obey my parents no matter what. What is your advice? Thank You.

EDIT: Also in addition to ashamed and stupid I forgot to mention loser, which was in my title.

My advice is to seek honor from God and not man. You can NEVER go wrong with this. It may get you "stoned" one day, but it will ultimately be for the GLORY of God, so it will still be for the good!

I still don't have a smart phone and I'm 54 years old. When someone laughs at me, I throw my phone against the wall and say "can your phone do this?" :)

• Haha
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

Linda24

Jun 1, 2017
Berlin, Germany
✟1,234.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The books of the Harry Potter series are well written (I am a hobby author), and tell the old story of the fight Good vs. Evil. The magic is only used to advance the story, and, as an HP fan, please forgive me this statement, to draw parallels to our world. The "magic is mighty" of the supporters of Lord Voldemort (the evil) is very reminiscent of fascists and populists, while the actions of Harry and his friends are more reminiscent of Jesus and his followers.
J.K. Rowling is not a witch, she is a member of the Church of England. So, if your parents don't allow you to read this books, it shows to me, that tey did never read the books.

Upvote 0

Linda24

Jun 1, 2017
Berlin, Germany
✟1,234.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So? Read one or two, and you can then speak from your own understanding, one way or another.

Good advice! If he did it, he can see, that there is nothing wrong, nothing evil, nothing demonic or occult with this book series.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums