California
✟41,185.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am almost 21 and I have never read the Harry Potter series because my parents and especially my father banned it from me because of the witchcraft. I feel like I am the only person and I feel really ashamed and stupid because of it. I know I have to obey my parents no matter what. What is your advice? Thank You.

EDIT: Also in addition to ashamed and stupid I forgot to mention loser, which was in my title.

SgtBen

To Serve and Protect
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
Western NC, USA
✟53,005.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is nothing wrong with not reading the Harry Potter books. Someone or something is making you feel this way.

What is the real problem? Are you being pressured somehow?

I haven't read them either.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
One, there's no reason to feel ashamed for not reading them. You're not a loser.

Two, you're an adult now, so if you really want to read them there's no reason you can't...unless you feel convicted about it, but then that's another issue altogether.

FWIW, I've never read the books either...but I have seen the movies...so that's probably not worth much, lol.

Upvote 0

-(iconoclast)-

I live by faith in the Son of God
Nov 17, 2015
✟21,859.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I am almost 21 and I have never read the Harry Potter series because my parents and especially my father banned it from me because of the witchcraft. I feel like I am the only person and I feel really ashamed and stupid because of it. I know I have to obey my parents no matter what. What is your advice? Thank You.

EDIT: Also in addition to ashamed and stupid I forgot to mention loser, which was in my title.

Hello

I have never read the books or watched the films. It seems you are not the only one. From what i gather we are not missing out on anything.

You are not loser and thinking you are will only make it so. You are a part of the body of Christ. Christ is no loser. We will win :)

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank goodness for some parents who wanted to protect their child from witchcraft. Saw some kids trying to cast spells and learn about the ungodly supernatural after seeing one of the movies. Yes you're old enough to realize the difference but why waste your time, money, and energy plus expose yourself to garbage?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may have something..... I think I would consider myself a loser as well if I was 21 and my reading materials were still controlled by my parents. But instead of dwelling on the negative, I would use energy to drive myself to become successful enough to leave my parents house and never have to live there again......then you can do and read whatever you chose. Use this loser situation to make you a winner.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

They were doing you a favor until you can understand the (significant) reasons for avoiding such media. You are blessed more because of this, and I wouldn't go read them or see the movies now just because you're older. Respecting your parents is the same as respecting God in God's eyes. The two reasons you feel bad about this that come to mind are (1) you associate with people or media where everyone knows about Harry Potter, or (2) you have self-esteem [or depression] issues which are causing you to latch onto whatever reasons seem like they could be logical causes.

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2, 1984 NIV)

“Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you.” “I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.” (2 Corinthians 6:17-18, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So? Read one or two, and you can then speak from your own understanding, one way or another.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I had let others tell me what was acceptable for me to read, one..... I might never have read the Bible. And, two.... I might never have read The Shack, and found an understanding of God that is free from Chruchdom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Advice...well, dont feel ashamed and stupid, because you if you read the Bible, and are a christian you are not ashamed of the gospel.

Read what Paul declared in Romans 1:14
Also look what he said in Romans 5:5

Ask God to pour out His love for YOU.

You are not missing out on anything by not reading Harry Potter, honestly its not that great and rather depressing. Plus its not even a true story ms Rowling made it up. If your parents died like harrys did in the book you cant turn to witchcraft to get them back. It doesnt work! Lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I read the first book of Harry Potter. I found it pretty creepy. The books promote witch craft plain and simple. Witches know that and declare it is true. We are to shun witchcraft. We all have to make choices all of our lives, to follow the Word or to follow the world.

Upvote 0

ub4me

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2005
USA
✟20,873.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, but you Are a grown man... Read them if you want to...Harry Potter is not going to define who you are. God does!
Praying you see yourself through God's eyes, because if not reading children's books full of occult symbolism makes you feel like a loser... Life is going to be tough man. Blessings

• Agree
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

First, obey YHWH (GOD) who says to totally avoid witchcraft.
Second, obey YHWH (GOD) who says to obey your parents (they were right).
Usually, obey your parents even when or if you think they're not right.

Now, instead of evil, seek YHWH - see what the CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE and the one who gives us all life says. That is uplifting, edifying, healing, truth.

Yes, "there is rebellion bound up in a child" .... listen to your parents to find the remedy - or verify what to do from YHWH'S WORD (THE BIBLE). HE(GOD) LOVES us perfectly and righteously, without sin and without iniquity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't chosen to read any of the Harry Potter books. Not having read any of them doesn't make you a loser. Make your choice as to whether or not to read them, and take full responsibility for it. That's a basic step to being a man.

• Agree
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟99,937.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
You are an adult. Either read them or don't; they don't make you who you are. I'd say your faith is pretty weak if you read a fictional story and want to become a pretend witch for real. Adults should be able to read things even if they don't agree with them and maintain their values and beliefs.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good, they are witchcraft filled books. Your not a loser, it just means you have a better conviction about such things then others do. You should be proud of yourself. With that said a book does not make you a loser. Its just a book. Doing drugs, being an alcoholic, shooting someone... that would make someone a loser in my book.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am almost 21 and I have never read the Harry Potter series because my parents and especially my father banned it from me because of the witchcraft... What is your advice? ... loser was in my title.

I'm gonna take a measured approach here, bud, so listen carefully. Most of the posters are giving you good advice, and your parents likely did the right thing to keep you from it. Are they tools being used by the Devil to entice kids into witchcraft? I can guarantee you they are. And for that matter, you weren't missing that much anyway. Just because your friends may have one opinion, if it would have been me I might have told them "Harry Potter smells (in your own words)," if it would have gotten them off my back about it.

That having been said, there may also be something else to consider here. Do you have an interest in it merely because you want to be up-to-date with what kids are/were into now, or did you want to read it because you find spiritually-oriented materials interesting? The reason I ask is because I am a very big fan of Tolkien (Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit trilogies). These books were not quite the promotion tools for seducing kids into the occult as HP is, but they are nevertheless based entirely upon the Luciferian world view of Christianity, and the "Battle of Evermore" between Luciferianism and Satanism/Christianity (hard to explain). I both study and enjoy such films and books because I study the Devil's moves and his theologies. Lord of the Rings was actually an allegory to real historical events that were taking place in Tolkien's lifetime, and real events that transpired in the real spiritual war between good and "evil," i.e. Judeo-Christianity. Harry Potter books are somewhat similar, in that they are essentially a record of exactly the kind of teachings and methods Satan is now attempting to use in your generation's time to lead souls to Hell.

Here's the upshot: If you have an interest in such things because you are a student of the spiritual war, then you should be reading them. We would not have Christian sources to explain to us exactly how these books are witchcraft promotional tools if the Lord did not have people who were very educated in the dark arts and Satanic theology and language in order to be able to. Understand?

You are twenty one, and should be coming into your own. But if you are a casual reader who just wants to be entertained and/or conform to your friends, stay away. It's trash anyway.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,816.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I see some above saying it doesn't matter if you read Harry Potter. The Bible says "The weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty unto the destroying of strongholds - casting down vain imaginations" like fairy tales that glorify witchcraft "and everything that exalts itself against the knowledge of YHWH" (aka God) and those books have no mention of the Almighty but teach kids to turn to magic for their help, which violates the knowledge of the Bible "and bringing every thought to the obedience of Christ." Every thought.

We can imagine we are strong and independent and can put anything into our heads that we like and not be harmed. That is not what the Bible says. There is a saying in the computer industry "Garbage in, garbage out."

Reactions: longwait
Upvote 0