Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a BA in Chem Engineering and another in Religious Studies. My professor in Christianity was an expert on Russian Orthodoxy and once showed us a picture of him standing with Leonid Brezhnev and Patriarch Pimen of Moscow from the mid 1970s. Thus started my introduction to the EO.

My wife and I had grown up Lutheran Missouri Synod, but by 1998, we had become increasingly frustrated in the direction that the LCMS had taken in adapting what I call "Methobaptiscostalism", church growth ministry and contemporary services. Finally, 9/9/2001, we had had enough and walked out of church (during the service which had replaced the altar with a drum set). We came back for a couple weeks after 9/11 but both of us knew that the LCMS we had grown up with had decided to leave its historic roots and try to be like all the other mega-churches that were around us.

We only had a couple choices if we were to stay true to our Lutheran beliefs. Wisconsin Synod (which was becoming rabidly anti-social, e.g. "you PRAYED with your non-WELS mother!?!?!"), Episcopalian (uhhhh no...), Catholic (which in 2001, the news of the sex abuse scandal was just starting to break), or Orthodox.

We attended a handful of Orthodox (Greek, OCA and Antiochian) churches over December of 2001, and we fell in love with a small GO parish near our house. In April of 2001, we were chrismated (my profile picture) by +Kallistos Ware, the man who started it all for me :liturgy:

I am a reader and chanter and I have one year at Holy Cross seminary in Boston, but unfortunately family issues forced me to leave.

Happy New Year!!

Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Barky

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2008
Philadelphia, USA
✟24,242.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was considering other Christian religions after attending protestant services I felt had the Holy Spirit in them (I was Catholic). I stumbled upon Orthodoxy when I was looking up who accepts infant baptism and who doesn't. I was shocked to find a rich history and theology that was kept hidden from me in my Catholic education (elementary and High School). I felt I had stumbled upon a great secret.

Every issue I had (theologically) about Catholicism was either refuted by the Orthodox or was not made dogmatic. After a long journey, I was chrismated a year and a half later.

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here on CF. A poster put me in touch with the nearest Church, who put me in touch with other inquirers in my town. We started carpooling to DL once a month and doing reader's services in each other's homes and eventually got a mission station started here.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In August 2004, I was going to become 4 Suqare Pentecostal & something had been urging me to go to the Orthodox church my father had been raised in. I actually skipped the baptism I was supposed to have in the 4 Square & attended the Orthodox DL out of the blue & never turned back.

Upvote 0

truthseeker32

Lost in the Cosmos
Nov 30, 2010
✟16,510.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Back in 2009 or 2010 I was in RCIA preparing to become Roman Catholic and I took a religious studies course at my university. One of the professor's lectures included a documentary about Russian Orthodox Christians in the late 70s who continued to practice their faith in the Soviet Union. A few clips showed the liturgy and I found it fascinating.

I spoke with a good friend of mine who went to St. John's College in New Mexico and he told me about how a lot of his friends at the college converted to Russian Orthodoxy. Anyways, I wrestled between Roman Catholicism, Orthodoxy, and giving up religion altogether for the past few years and over time I began to see that Orthodoxy was the answer to the ails of the world in society. As the website "Death to the World" puts it, Orthodoxy is the last great rebellion.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Short version. I married a Greek who's parents only took them to Church for Christmas and Pascha (she knew little about the faith). We moved to Greece, initially attended an evangelical church, beautiful people but we were starving spiritually. My wife felt drawn to the Church of her baptism and we started attending.
There were many things I had issues with so I started reading to understand, and one by one my issues evaporated and I was left with the knowledge that I agreed largely with Orthodoxy and recognised that this was the Church of the New Testament and that's where I had to be. It didn't matter that I still had a few issues at the time, my experience so far had told me that my understanding was the problem, not the beliefs and praxis of the Orthodox Church.
Received by chrismation (was raised Anglican), have never looked back since :)

I have visited the Church of my parents on a few occasions since then, but having experienced the beauty, richness and depth of Orthodoxy, the Anglican services have left me deeply saddened.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well- the first first time I was seventeen and taking a World Religions class at the local university. We had an assignment where we had to go to the services of a religion or group we'd never been to before- walk in blind- and then write a ten page paper about the experience. By that point, I had already visited the local Hindu temple, the Islamic center, and one of the local Jewish synagogues. I had no intention of going alone, so this guy I was dating suggested going to an Orthodox Church. So, he and my sister went with me.

I was raised in the Assemblies of God (Pentecostal)- and I had NO idea what was going on at all. However- I thought it was super cool and absolutely gushed about the experience for at least a week to anyone who would listen. We went to Matins, stayed for Divine Liturgy, and then there was a removal of the crowns, and then a memorial. I had no clue about any of it. I literally thought those people got married right then- and I didn't know what to make of the koliva.

I left the Assemblies in college and joined a Southern Baptist church (where I married my husband), and then we moved to a local mega-church, and then to no church, and then to 'we're not Christians'. We were pretty done with Christianity, but I still liked reading about history, philosophy, and religion. So, I came across the Greek Orthodox archdiocese website and started reading, then I bought a book about Orthodox Christianity, and then I told my husband I wanted to visit an Orthodox Church.

We went to the same parish I visited before (except twelve years later). And- we just kept going back (except this time I knew what was going on- and was even more impressed). It was when we were very late for Divine Liturgy one Sunday that I knew I needed to convert. I walked in the narthex and it just hit me very clearly that God was there.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well- the first first time I was seventeen and taking a World Religions class at the local university. We had an assignment where we had to go to the services of a religion or group we'd never been to before- walk in blind- and then write a ten page paper about the experience. By that point, I had already visited the local Hindu temple, the Islamic center, and one of the local Jewish synagogues. I had no intention of going alone, so this guy I was dating suggested going to an Orthodox Church. So, he and my sister went with me.

I was raised in the Assemblies of God (Pentecostal)- and I had NO idea what was going on at all. However- I thought it was super cool and absolutely gushed about the experience for at least a week to anyone who would listen. We went to Matins, stayed for Divine Liturgy, and then there was a removal of the crowns, and then a memorial. I had no clue about any of it. I literally thought those people got married right then- and I didn't know what to make of the koliva.

I left the Assemblies in college and joined a Southern Baptist church (where I married my husband), and then we moved to a local mega-church, and then to no church, and then to 'we're not Christians'. We were pretty done with Christianity, but I still liked reading about history, philosophy, and religion. So, I came across the Greek Orthodox archdiocese website and started reading, then I bought a book about Orthodox Christianity, and then I told my husband I wanted to visit an Orthodox Church.

We went to the same parish I visited before (except twelve years later). And- we just kept going back (except this time I knew what was going on- and was even more impressed). It was when we were very late for Divine Liturgy one Sunday that I knew I needed to convert. I walked in the narthex and it just hit me very clearly that God was there.
Beautiful story:)

Upvote 0

Mariya116

Dec 3, 2011
✟16,306.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was seventeen and taking a World Religions class at the local university. We had an assignment where we had to go to the services of a religion or group we'd never been to before- walk in blind- and then write a ten page paper about the experience. .
I took World Religions too and had the same assignment!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Augustinosia

Orthodox Christian
Feb 8, 2012
None
✟118,853.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Orthodoxy entered my radar at a time I was feeling pretty disillusioned with differing beliefs between different Protestant denominations, way-out ideas from mega-type churches, and the way my own church was moving towards entertainment-orientation services and music. Add to that, despondent over my poor knowledge of the bible, lack of faith, not really knowing how to relate to God or live as a Christian.

I was confused, not knowing who was right, what was biblical, what was true Christianity, not much about God, or whether I truly believed or was really a Christian. I read up about different churches in my location, read books about Christian life and faith and joined a Christian forum or two, but was still confused as ever.

Eventually I decided that the best way to sort through all the morass was to get back to basics and read through the "source text" of my faith - the bible. I started following a 90 day reading plan that ended up stretching over two years. :D I learned a lot of stuff (especially in the OT) I'd never known before. I also remained confused as verses in the bible seemed to lend support to differing positions (e.g. calvinism and arminianism).

During the time I was working through the NT gospels and epistles, I started reading some of the long-running arguments between Catholics and Protestants on the Christian forum on bible vs tradition, praying to Mary and saints, faith vs works, communion being the actual body and blood of Christ or just a remembrance of what Christ did for us on the Cross, etc.

At first, like the rest of the Protestants, I waved off the Catholic defences as blindly following "traditions of men" and an example of how the Catholic church had gone off the rails sometime before the Reformation. But as I kept reading, I conceded that there was something to what the Catholics were saying - what did the first Christians have to communicate and guide them in the faith before the bible canon was was agreed on and collated into the "bible"? There was definitely a relationship between faith and works, but what? Jesus did say in John 6 that His body and blood is real food and drink that we have to consume to abide in Him and have eternal life. And who were all these early Christians that the Catholics were quoting, that you never hear about in Protestant churches, who described beliefs and worship that that sounded more "Catholic" than I'd assumed the early church to be?

What finally upped the stakes for me was a disgruntled Protestant who accused a Catholic who used verses from 1 Maccabees and other "apocryphal" books as support for praying for the dead as sidestepping the issue, and demanded proof from the BIBLE :)doh:). The Catholic quickly responded back with the verse where St. Paul prays for Onesiphorus (who from the context, is obviously dead at that point). Woah. That caught my attention. And if the Catholic had a point in this area, then perhaps the other things they were saying held more water and deserved a closer look.

In amongst all these discussions, the Catholics were also saying that the Catholic Church was the true Church which Jesus founded. There were a few Orthodox that occasionally responded, no, the Orthodox Church is. The Orthodox Church? :confused: Before then, it had never occurred to me to consider the Orthodox Church. I'd heard of Russian and Greek Orthodox, and thought it was similar to Catholicism except they didn't follow the Pope.

What piqued my interest to explore Orthodoxy further was a signature quote of one of the Orthodox posters, "The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost 2000 years ago." From there, my quest for true Christianity took a sharp right turn which culminated in being received into the Orthodox Church six months ago. :)

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
It may not be appropriate for me to comment here, since I have not yet converted. As a lifelong Catholic, I guess I was always aware of orthodoxy, as the "other" truly apostolic church. because I have studied Catholicism all my life, as I began to have issues with the juridical nature of it, I began to look into Orthodoxy. Not so much to convert, but to see what was different. To say Orthodoxy resolves all or most of the issues I had with the RCC is an understatement.
However, because I am a cradle catholic, and my family is very Catholic, I have had hesitations about "abandoning" the RCC. Add to that the idea that once you leave, you are an "apostate" as far as the RCC is concerned, and i am discerning very very slowly.
I love your Church and am envious of all of you!!

Upvote 0