How can we know if God is speaking vs. our own minds?

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
(I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, feel free to move as needed.)

How are we able to tell what God is trying to say to us in answer to a prayer, or even whether he is saying anything at all? How can we discern between what God says and what our own minds are telling us? For instance, one person may believe that God is telling them to do X, but another may believe God is telling them to do Y.

Reactions: Open Heart

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I hear ya. Honestly, I'm a bit shocked at the number of people here who say, with complete confidence, that God literally spoke to them in an ordinary dream, called them to be a prophet, or somehow gave them a revision of something the Bible teaches--and them alone. And there's no apparent hesitation of the kind you're referring to.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
My belief is that it:

1. Could be the devil or a demon.
2. Could be God.
3. Could be your own subconscious voice.
4. A little less likely, but could be attributed to mental illness.

I'm not really sure what to believe on the matter.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
(I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, feel free to move as needed.)

How are we able to tell what God is trying to say to us in answer to a prayer, or even whether he is saying anything at all? How can we discern between what God says and what our own minds are telling us? For instance, one person may believe that God is telling them to do X, but another may believe God is telling them to do Y.
God pretty exclusively speaks to us through His Word: Scripture, and the commentaries on Scripture found in the writings of the ancient fathers of the Church.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
God pretty exclusively speaks to us through His Word: Scripture, and the commentaries on Scripture found in the writings of the ancient fathers of the Church.

But the different denominations show that people interpret Scripture differently and each see theirs as The Truth, which goes back to the same question in the OP.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

FWIW, I've never figured out why the ill-defined "Church Fathers" who spanned almost 500 years of church history are supposed to be on a par with the Holy Scriptures. To the extent that some of them were witnesses to the state or mind of the church at an early time, sure, but that's about all.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I use to wonder the same thing, and still do. I guess i follow a still quiet voice, one that reminds me of what the scriptures teach us. If i err, im reminded of what was spoken by the Lord and his disciples. I believe the spirit of truth guides us by the words already spoken in scripture. I try not to follow random voices in my head, but instead just follow the voice of truth. I hope this makes sense.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God gave us 2 ears to hear
One mouth with ability to shut
The ears cannot shut (hmmm must tell us something)
The more we listen, the more we hear
The less we speak, the more we hear
We hear from the inside
When we are "in love" we know HIS voice
Because we have spent much time with HIM (we are HIS bride)
Sometimes HIS voice is loud and urgent
Sometimes HIS voice is calm and peaceful

The more our emotions are tied up into something
the harder it is to hear
But spending time with HIM gives you the ability
to determine what is you, and what is HIM
HE doesnt speak in a thee, thou, art
He speaks in your language and ways

Best book I ever read on the subject 20 years ago, "Hearing God" by Peter Lord (highly recommend).

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I cannot really give you advice, because it is something you will have to learn on your own together with the Lord. But I can share my experiences.

When the Holy Spirit speaks to me, it's usually not an actual voice, although He has spoken audibly to me a few times. (Just small things, no major revelation). It's more of a "movement" in my thought patterns, if that makes sense to you. Some people call it an impression. The Holy Spirit dwells in our innermost being, so it feels like He speaks from deep within. It always feels wonderful, safe, warm and comforting, and most of all true and pure. Except when He convicts me, He can sound pretty harsh, but I still feel loved. Usually He just changes my understanding, but I have learnt how to listen to it more intently, meaning my brain translates the impression into words. God's voice will ALWAYS correspond to the Bible. God cannot lie. And He never uses fear, only love.

The subconscious for me usually sounds like my friends and family, or like my own voice. Like my brain is just picking up memories. It's also a bit more scattered.

I have been oppressed and tormented by demons, and they tend to speak more audibly. The voices are usually very clear and easy to hear, and sounds like they come from the outside. They don't always sound frightening, sometimes they sound really pleasant, but they always sound like strangers. If it feels wrong, it is never God.

John 10:3-5
John 10:27

Everyone who has the Holy Spirit can hear His voice, but it isn't easy. It takes a lot of practice, and you will probably be fooled by Satan a couple of times. God will forgive though. Pray for God to increase your discernment, and ask Him to teach you how to listen. He wants us to listen to Him and follow Him personally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

He also speaks to us through His Holy Spirit, if we believe in those promises, and thus allow Him to.

• Agree
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I hear ya. Honestly, I'm a bit shocked at the number of people here who say, with complete confidence, that God literally spoke to them in an ordinary dream, called them to be a prophet, or somehow gave them a revision of something the Bible teaches--and them alone. And there's no apparent hesitation of the kind you're referring to.

That is how false prophets are made. There will be only be more and more of them in the times ahead. I feel so sorry for them :'(

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,540.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
When God communicates with us, it is spirit to spirit. We interpret in our minds what we perceive that He has spoken to our spirit. We have the Holy Spirit living in us. I think that the voice of God is more of an awareness that He has spoken to us, rather than an actual voice in our minds. I believe that if we are to become sensitive to what God is wanting to say to us, we need to be people of prayer and of the Word. When God speaks to me, an appropriate Bible verse pops into my mind. These can be quite remarkable because the verse perfectly matches the question I ask, or the views that I express to God when I pray. Sometimes when I give a view that God doesn't agree with, a verse of scripture will come to mind that corrects me.

The scripture says that if we commit our way to the Lord, He will guide our steps. Also, He speaks always in accordance with the fruit of the Spirit and 1 Corinthians 13. If the fruit of the Spirit or the attributes of love are missing from what is communicated to you, then you should be very suspicious of it.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

If there were a way to tell the difference, we wouldn't have 10s of thousands of denominations. It is precisely BECAUSE we can't tell the difference that Sola Scriptura is a dysfunctional doctrine.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"How to Hear the Voice of God in a Noisy World" Teresa Seputis and "Frequency" Dr. Robert Morris are a couple of helpful recommendations.

Posted:"... a revision of something the Bible teaches--and them alone. " Nope, that's off.

Posted "The more our emotions are tied up into something the harder it is to hear" Also, "... it isn't easy..."

Agree that's the reason we can begin by practicing hearing Him about small things. We can asks questions that have yes or no answers and things that can be checked for accuracy. We're not bothering or showing a lack of respect for Yahweh because He wants us to hear Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If there were a way to tell the difference, we wouldn't have 10s of thousands of denominations. It is precisely BECAUSE we can't tell the difference that Sola Scriptura is a dysfunctional doctrine.

I believe that all of the denominations exist simply because we rely on our own understanding, and do not seek God's voice.

The Bible tells us to rely on Him and listen to Him. What do we humans do? We quarrel over our own opinions over Scripture, because we have not sought God to teach us His ways. This is how denominations are created.

And on the other hand, some have to little discernment, still because they rely on our own understanding, and then Satan creates false prophets, and cults are formed.

We need to rely fully on God. It's what the Bible tells us to do.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, I've never figured out why the ill-defined "Church Fathers" who spanned almost 500 years of church history are supposed to be on a par with the Holy Scriptures. To the extent that some of them were witnesses to the state or mind of the church at an early time, sure, but that's about all.
Well, those early Church fathers are not on par with Holy Scriptures, but throughout the early centuries in combating the several Christological and Pneumatological heresies that arose, their writings were instrumental in defining the Faith of the Church. Thus, their commentaries on Scripture are a witness to the Faith in the Holy Trinity, Who is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"How to Hear the Voice of God in a Noisy World" Teresa Seputis and "Frequency" Dr. Robert Morris are a couple of helpful recommendations.

Posted:"... a revision of something the Bible teaches--and them alone. " Nope, that's off.

Posted "The more our emotions are tied up into something the harder it is to hear" Also, "... it isn't easy..."

Agree that's the reason we can begin by practicing hearing Him about small things. We can asks questions that have yes or no answers and things that can be checked for accuracy. We're not bothering or showing a lack of respect for Yahweh because He wants us to hear Him.

We can ask ourselves questions that have yes or no answers as well and get an answer. And sometimes we hear an answer that one might think is from God but it ends up not working out. Again, how can we know?

I believe that all of the denominations exist simply because we rely on our own understanding, and do not seek God's voice.

The Bible tells us to rely on Him and listen to Him. What do we humans do? We quarrel over our own opinions over Scripture, because we have not sought God to teach us His ways. This is how denominations are created.

And on the other hand, some have to little discernment, still because they rely on our own understanding, and then Satan creates false prophets, and cults are formed.

We need to rely fully on God. It's what the Bible tells us to do.

But thing is how can we know if what we hear is relying on God? How can we tell it's not just our own minds?

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But the different denominations show that people interpret Scripture differently and each see theirs as The Truth, which goes back to the same question in the OP.
I believe that those who believe a lie and see it as the Truth need to continue in repentance until the lie is exposed and the Truth that comes to Live in them is strong enough for them to reject the lie. God leads and God teaches. The Bible says so here: "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled." (Matthew 5:6) A conscience is a powerful voice, even if a "still, small voice".

Upvote 0