How can they morally aim when death penalty is involved?

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You seem to forget christians believe Jesus didn't come only for romans. Hence the Gospels. May be are you joking, in your turn.
No, I’m quite serious. The Romans were very willing to oblige those looking for martyrdom.

Upvote 0

peter2

Ordinary life contemplative
Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, I’m quite serious. The Romans were very willing to oblige those looking for martyrdom.
I trust you, for i have no knowledge of roman customs.
By the way, seems to me looking for martyrdom is not martyrdom.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
excerpt of wiki
Meaning

In its original meaning, the word martyr, meaning witness, was used in the secular sphere as well as in the New Testament of the Bible.[1] The process of bearing witness was not intended to lead to the death of the witness, although it is known from ancient writers (e.g. Josephus) and from the New Testament that witnesses often died for their testimonies.

During the early Christian centuries, the term acquired the extended meaning of believers who are called to witness for their religious belief, and on account of this witness, endures suffering or death. The term, in this later sense, entered the English language as a loanword. The death of a martyr or the value attributed to it is called martyrdom.

The early Christians who first began to use the term martyr in its new sense saw Jesus as the first and greatest martyr, on account of his crucifixion.[2][3][4] The early Christians appear to have seen Jesus as the archetypal martyr.[5]

• Informative
Reactions: peter2
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't you find it a bit contradictory? don't you believe the good malefactor is saved?
I find the term "good malefactor" to be self contradictory.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

peter2

Ordinary life contemplative
Oct 10, 2015
✟54,190.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What does this have to do with mankind/ society/ the world most of which that remains lost ?
This malefactor, his fair ultimate testimony and Jesus's reply display hope for anyone informed of the Gospel. For at that very moment, whereas everything seemed lost for the disciples, both him and Jesus still bore hope. The other malefactor, as i'm optimistic, i hope he possibly converted at his fellowmalefactor's rebuking. If not, may be some christians pray or have prayed for his soul's salvation. May be you guessed it: i've turned catholic, and catholics believe their prayers may soften the fate of purgatory's souls.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The other malefactor, as i'm optimistic, i hope he possibly converted at his fellowmalefactor's rebuking. If not, may be some christians pray or have prayed for his soul's salvation.
This and other of your ideas are directly contrary to Scripture, as is the direction you are going as far as I can tell.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

jeff baggett

Aug 11, 2018
tulsa
✟15,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have struggled with this my whole life. Always been against abortion, and the death penalty as well. The two issues are synonymous with me. I know God killed people for sinning but that was old testament, fortunately so for me because I ate bacon tonite.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Maybe not so fortunate as you think: remember Ananias and Saphira ....

They died quickly by the Word of Yahweh for lying "once" in Acts as written.

Later, in Corinth, many were sick AND dying for being disobedient, as written.

etc etc etc

I have struggled with this my whole life. Always been against abortion, and the death penalty as well. The two issues are synonymous with me. I know God killed people for sinning but that was old testament, fortunately so for me because I ate bacon tonite.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Not really. I would feel even more uncomfortable with the notion of capital punishment if its a theocracy doling it out given that it would not be limited to those guilty of murder.
The Soviets didn't limit it to those guilty of murder either. Any totalitarian government would be bad enough.
Not if it could be practically avoided while better preserving order.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should we consider this new ruler as ruling its country on God's behalf and for good?
Please, do consider i'm really bewildered, for it would make opportunists of citizens, changing sides at each revolution or coup, and turning a blind eye to the violence that occur the more often in these changes, wouldn't it? I 'm getting lost.

Well, here is an interesting thing:

Consider the case of Daniel. Daniel had risen to a highly trusted and authoritative position within the court of Nebuchadnezzar.

Yet, when Babylon was conquered by Persia, Daniel had not tied himself so inextricably into the web of Babylonian government that he could not step right into the service of Persia. That's because Daniel never forgot that his real nation was Israel, and he expected to return someday.

That's how a Christian should be in any worldly nation.

As 1 Peter shows, you and I are both citizens of heaven, deployed to these earthly nations as temporary residents, ambassadors representing Heaven. You have been deployed to France. I have been deployed to the United States. We are in these countries to perform missions of limited duration...then we are going home, just as Daniel expected.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IMO the death penalty should only be used in cases where the deviant who commits serious crimes will not stop preying on others.

I totally agree: Three strikes and you're........out. :eek:

Upvote 0