How can the grace of God be resisted by some yet received by others?

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Then why can't you hear the words of life in Revelation 22?
I do hear those words. I also read those words in context with Revelation and the entire word of God.
Unfortunately for you, you seem dead set on cherry picking verses to fit your own made-up narrative that reveals no grace, only works.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do hear those words. I also read those words in context with Revelation and the entire word of God.
Unfortunately for you, you seem dead set on cherry picking verses to fit your own made-up narrative that reveals no grace, only works.

Menno, God has given you grace to come. You have done nothing but made excuses not to come to drink of the water of life. If you choose not to come, don't make excuses. If you hear those words, obey them, and don't resist the Spirit, who says to come. If you don't come, then you will be left outside the city with dogs, idolaters, sexual perverts, and liars.

Don't make the mistake of not acting on the truths of God. Don't let your theology dismiss God's truth.

Upvote 0

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Menno, God has given you grace to come. You have done nothing but made excuses not to come to drink of the water of life. If you choose not to come, don't make excuses. If you hear those words, obey them, and don't resist the Spirit, who says to come. If you don't come, then you will be left outside the city with dogs, idolaters, sexual perverts, and liars.

Don't make the mistake of not acting on the truths of God. Don't let your theology dismiss God's truth.
Your first sentence shows you don't understand grace.
If God is my choice, then it's not grace, it's my own work.

God does give us faith. Our response is purely one of gratitude, after God has graciously chosen us despite our rebellious nature.

Remember, dead men cannot move. They're dead.
Yeshua must call our name, just like he did with Lazerus, and raise us from the dead before we can respond.
I'm sorry you cannot grasp what the Bible teaches regarding grace.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your first sentence shows you don't understand grace.
If God is my choice, then it's not grace, it's my own work.

God does give us faith. Our response is purely one of gratitude, after God has graciously chosen us despite our rebellious nature.

Remember, dead men cannot move. They're dead.
Yeshua must call our name, just like he did with Lazerus, and raise us from the dead before we can respond.
I'm sorry you cannot grasp what the Bible teaches regarding grace.

You have changed the subject so many times, instead of humbling yourself to receive grace. If you do not want to come, then so be it; you have adequately expressed your free will.

God is calling your name now. How will you respond? Will you freely come, or will you stay where you are? If you don't come, you will be left outside of the city. Will you believe these words of truth or will you reject them?

Upvote 0

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
You have changed the subject so many times, instead of humbling yourself to receive grace. If you do not want to come, then so be it; you have adequately expressed your free will.

God is calling your name now. How will you respond? Will you freely come, or will you stay where you are? If you don't come, you will be left outside of the city. Will you believe these words of truth or will you reject them?

You are mistaken, I have talked about grace consistently.
God has already called me and made me alive in Christ. I am entirely grateful for his gracious choice to love me in spite of my sin and because of Yeshua's sacrifice.
Yeshua promises that he will never leave me nor forsake me. He knows who are his own and he will keep me unto himself.
I believe God's word, which is true.
I reject your Pelagianism, which is not true.
Praise God, he has graciously chosen to call me and draw me to himself. I truly am grateful.

Do you see how grace works yet, Ew?

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are mistaken, I have talked about grace consistently.
God has already called me and made me alive in Christ. I am entirely grateful for his gracious choice to love me in spite of my sin and because of Yeshua's sacrifice.
Yeshua promises that he will never leave me nor forsake me. He knows who are his own and he will keep me unto himself.
I believe God's word, which is true.
I reject your Pelagianism, which is not true.
Praise God, he has graciously chosen to call me and draw me to himself. I truly am grateful.

Do you see how grace works yet, Ew?

I have freely chosen to come that I may enter the gates of the city and partake of the tree of life. You have repeatedly changed the subject and have yet chosen to come, as the Spirit bids. You freely choose your own destiny.

Upvote 0

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I have freely chosen to come that I may enter the gates of the city and partake of the tree of life. You have repeatedly changed the subject and have yet chosen to come, as the Spirit bids. You freely choose your own destiny.

You imagine you chose, but that is not grace and the Bible teaches we are saved by God's grace apart from works.
No, God made you alive when you had previously been dead. You owe God everything and you have nothing to boast about.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You imagine you chose, but that is not grace and the Bible teaches we are saved by God's grace apart from works.
No, God made you alive when you had previously been dead. You owe God everything and you have nothing to boast about.

Why do you think I'm boasting? Is this your programmed response?
I give God all the glory for everything in my life.

Jesus told us to come to Him while on this earth, and told us to come from Heaven. Menno, you still have time to come to Him; He is patiently waiting. Don't let pride and stubbornness get in the way; humble yourself and He will give you grace.

Come Menno, that you might have the right to the tree of life and that you might enter the city by the gates. You can also take the water of life freely. Food from the tree of life, and drink from the water of life - what's better than that?

Do you not believe Jesus in John 6:45?

It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father COMES to me

As always, the choice is yours. Choose life!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Why do you think I'm boasting? Is this your programmed response?
I give God all the glory for everything in my life.

Jesus told us to come to Him while on this earth, and told us to come from Heaven. Menno, you still have time to come to Him; He is patiently waiting. Don't let pride and stubbornness get in the way; humble yourself and He will give you grace.

Come Menno, that you might have the right to the tree of life and that you might enter the city by the gates. You can also take the water of life freely. Food from the tree of life, and drink from the water of life - what's better than that?

Do you not believe Jesus in John 6:45?

It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father COMES to me

As always, the choice is yours. Choose life!

You pat yourself on the back for your imagined choice of YHWH off the grocery store god shelf.

My response comes from Ephesians 2 where God tells you that He did the work so that you could not boast. Why is it that you refuse to acknowledge this? Why is it so important to you to have control and take control out of God's hands?

Notice that even in your comments the first thing that happens is Jesus speaks. It is always that way. You cannot respond, unless Yeshua makes you come alive.
You want the response to come before the call. It never happens that way and it is never expressed that way in the Bible.
The response you speak of is not your "free will" choice of God, it is your joy in having been made alive and cleansed by God after He chose you.

Even your very last comment is backward. God chose Israel before He gave Israel any choice of obedience. You are woefully missing the beginning work of the Sovereign King. You mistake sanctification and want to call it salvation by your own work.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You pat yourself on the back for your imagined choice of YHWH off the grocery store god shelf.

My response comes from Ephesians 2 where God tells you that He did the work so that you could not boast. Why is it that you refuse to acknowledge this? Why is it so important to you to have control and take control out of God's hands?

Notice that even in your comments the first thing that happens is Jesus speaks. It is always that way. You cannot respond, unless Yeshua makes you come alive.
You want the response to come before the call. It never happens that way and it is never expressed that way in the Bible.
The response you speak of is not your "free will" choice of God, it is your joy in having been made alive and cleansed by God after He chose you.

Even your very last comment is backward. God chose Israel before He gave Israel any choice of obedience. You are woefully missing the beginning work of the Sovereign King. You mistake sanctification and want to call it salvation by your own work.

You still have time.

John 6:45
It is written in the Prophets, ‘and they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father COMES to Me

Upvote 0

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
You still have time.

John 6:45
It is written in the Prophets, ‘and they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father COMES to Me
Great verse. How does a dead person hear...if they are dead?

You conveniently ignore the truth that sinners are dead in their trespasses and sins. When we are dead in sin...we cannot hear God. God must give us life.

Once again, thanks for sharing such a perfect verse to help you grasp God's work on our behalf.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You conveniently ignore the truth that sinners are dead in their trespasses and sins. When we are dead in sin...we cannot hear God. God must give us life.

Once again, thanks for sharing such a perfect verse to help you grasp God's work on our behalf.

Judas heard, and obeyed. You still have time.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Menno, I'm sure you didn't mean to say dead men can't hear. This only implicates you.

Jesus said 'everyone who has heard and learned from the Father COMES to Me'. Since you can't bring yourself to go to Him, do you mean you can't hear God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Menno, I'm sure you didn't mean to say dead men can't hear. This only implicates you.

Jesus said 'everyone who has heard and learned from the Father COMES to Me'. Since you can't bring yourself to go to Him, do you mean you can't hear God?

Dead men cannot hear. Go to a graveyard tonight and see how many respond when you call their name.

Your verse wonderfully speaks to the truth that God calls some to life and those chosen ones hear their shepherd and respond.

God does the work, Ew, just as the verse says.
Again, thank you for these verses that present God's choice. Indeed the Bible does not contradict itself. It teaches God's choosing from Genesis to Revelation. Perhaps one day you will stop trying to be the master of your destiny.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dead men cannot hear. Go to a graveyard tonight and see how many respond when you call their name.

Your verse wonderfully speaks to the truth that God calls some to life and those chosen ones hear their shepherd and respond.

God does the work, Ew, just as the verse says.
Again, thank you for these verses that present God's choice. Indeed the Bible does not contradict itself. It teaches God's choosing from Genesis to Revelation. Perhaps one day you will stop trying to be the master of your destiny.

Menno, Judas heard and responded.

You are speaking of physically dead people in the grave. What a deception when speaking of spiritually dead people, but it won't work this time Menno. God is drawing you at this moment. So far you have freely resisted the Spirit's call to come.

You theory looks good on paper, but we are speaking of reality now. If a man hears and learns from God, he will go to Jesus. Your refusal speaks volumes. How long will God keep drawing and calling you? Well, we don't know that, but it's your choice to respond. Many are called, but few are chosen.

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Judas was dead in his sins. He had plans for his own kingdom, not the Kingdom of God.

Why are you so desperate to have control instead of resting in God's gracious choice?

We do see that dead people hear and respond to God.

Mark 3
13 And He went up on the mountain and called to Him those He Himself wanted. And they came to Him.
14 Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach,
15 and to have power to heal sicknesses and to cast out demons:

Judas was called by Jesus, whom Jesus Himself wanted, Judas responded and came to Jesus, and then Judas was appointed by Jesus.

We see Judas was not only called, but CAME to Jesus. God is calling and drawing you now, but you can't respond to Jesus' word to come to Him. Why? Is that beyond your desire? Can you not give up your desires and obey the Master?

But, you still have time, Menno. Choose wisely!

Upvote 0

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Menno, Judas heard and responded.

You are speaking of physically dead people in the grave. What a deception when speaking of spiritually dead people, but it won't work this time Menno. God is drawing you at this moment. So far you have freely resisted the Spirit's call to come.

You theory looks good on paper, but we are speaking of reality now. If a man hears and learns from God, he will go to Jesus. Your refusal speaks volumes. How long will God keep drawing and calling you? Well, we don't know that, but it's your choice to respond. Many are called, but few are chosen.

The spiritually dead is what Ephesians 2:1 is talking about and it takes God making them alive (2:4-5) before they can hear.

It looks good on paper because it's found in God's word. God's word is reality.
A man cannot hear until God makes him alive. After being made alive the man will respond to follow his Redeemer.
Even your own words reveal that truth, yet you still desperately try to wrestle control away from God and take the reins for yourself. Why are you so afraid of letting God be Sovereign over your life?

Upvote 0