How can one be a committed Democrat and Orthodox?

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is going to be a thread that, although it may transpire into vileness thrown from one person onto another, I still think is worth discussing, despite the people that may be enraged from this post.

I should also note that you ought to hear my perspective - that I come from a Roman Catholic background, not a traditional Roman Catholic background, but a conservative, Republican, JPII / Mother Teresa background. Thus, perhaps my upbringing has colored my eyes, and I will fully admit this.

So, with that being said, let me begin.

I don't think that Orthodoxy is completely aligned with a specific political ideology that fits in the paradigm of the Party-System. For example, although there are some fundamental principles within Republicanism that align with Orthodoxy, I think that there are many principles which don't align with Orthodoxy - for example, anti-environmentalism, militarism, corporatism, etc.

However, I think that in Liberalism, while there are some principles that align with Orthodoxy (helping with homelessness, environmentalism) - there are so many principles which go against the goals of Orthodoxy in its ethos, that I personally feel baffled that one could be a committed Democrat but still claim to uphold Orthodox values.

These principles includes doctrinal acceptance of the LGBTQ movement, and a societal reformation of all aspects of life into acceptance of such sinful lifestyles as normative, abortion and the public, tax-dollars funding thereof (as well as the normalization of a culture which doesn't recognize life at conception), prostitution and inappropriate contentography as legitimate industries, the normalization of illicit drugs, the elimination of discourse in the name of emotion, euthanasia, elimination of traditional moral and religious opinions and thought in Academia, the push for contraception, the elimination of God from the state, the elimination of patriotism, the elimination of nationality as a social construct, the elimination of gender as a social construct, the elimination of a right to privacy, the elimination of "toxic" masculinity, the equivocation of male and female gender roles in society, the elimination of Christianity as having cultural significance in the United States, elimination of the family from education and to the state,

and in more recent times, the tide seems to be shifting where the Democratic Party has embraced morally wrong ideas that were once normative for the Republicans. This includes a more imperialistic role for the United States, such as supporting the Western Ukrainians and funding Islamic Rebels in the name of forcing "Democracy" on people, some of who don't want "liberal values" but rather view religious morality as more important; stopping the "Evil Empire" of Putin's "Revitalized Soviet Union," and Democrats today also seem to support to a greater extent the concept of "free trade," viewing what Trump is doing with China, a country which continually abuses human rights in its working conditions, as something that is "economically catastrophic."

With this out of the way, let's discuss it further.

I have no problem with people who somehow still think that by Voting Democrat, that Orthodox principles in society will somehow advance. I think they are wrong, but I can still see where they are coming from, especially when the Republican Party seems to advance ideas that are not only dangerous for society, but anti-Orthodox (for example, being against Environmentalism, encouraging climate change, etc.)

The problem I have are people who are adamant, in love with ALL of these Liberal principles, and who think that SOMEHOW these principle are concordant with what it means to be an Orthodox Christian. In light of all the Church Fathers, both new and old, in light of the Bible, in light of Christ, they can somehow think that these ideas are compatible with an Orthodox Ethos.

And I wonder - of course I'm making judgments on them, as Paul did to the Judaizers - how can you go to the Chalice, fasting and preparing for the Eucharist, for the literal Body and Blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, holding morally lawless political beliefs in your heart, viewing that idol as somehow superior to God and the Church?

There are two conclusions I can come to.

1. There is something I am fundamentally missing.
2. There is a significant portion of "cradle Orthodox" who are outside the Church and outside of Salvation, but still feel like Orthodoxy is "technically a part of their identity" because "ZOMG I'm Greek! I gotta watch 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding!'", despite the fact they don't even believe in God or Christ. Their real intentions, however, are to change Church dogma to conform to their materialistic and godless worldview.

If conclusion 2 is correct, this begs the question:

Why hasn't the Church done a better job at educating people, and why hasn't the Orthodox Church done a better job at excommunicating heretics?

I fear that, considering how evil and toxic are culture has become (at least when contrasted with previous norms in terms of Christianity and it's affiliation in the United States), and how influential the United States and Western Europe in terms of international geopolitics is, that something similar that happened to Roman Catholicism will happen to Orthodoxy, where most of the Church (with the exception of maybe Russia and some Eastern European countries aligned with Russia) will fall into moral apostasy, and lead to a schism of major proportions on the basis of this morality (if it doesn't happen after a schism over Ukraine).

If conclusion 1 is correct, what am I missing?

So, with that huge rant. Thoughts.

Last edited:

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,023,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What I can speak to is based on my personal experience. In the few cases where I’ve seen Orthodox Christians who promoted beliefs like pro-choice or actively living a homosexual lifestyle being ok, they were not permitted to partake of the Eucharist. That said, if someone didn’t express that view to the priest and he didn’t know, then I’m guessing it may not be addressed. Our priest certainly is not someone who waters down our beliefs though, and he will say it as it is. If a parishioner doesn’t know what our beliefs are - he / she must not have been listening to the sermons or classes we have.

This isn’t just because someone votes Democratic, but if they are promoting / believing anti-Orthodox beliefs. All that said, I know there are plenty of things that I don’t know about various people, and I trust our priest and bishop to apply spiritual counsel and actions in the best way possible.

Reactions: JamesTheJust
Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree. Sorry for my huge, rambling, but this is what I posted.

I have no problem with people who somehow still think that by Voting Democrat, that Orthodox principles in society will somehow advance. I think they are wrong, but I can still see where they are coming from, especially when the Republican Party seems to advance ideas that are not only dangerous for society, but anti-Orthodox (for example, being against Environmentalism, encouraging climate change, etc.)

The problem I have are people who are adamant, in love with ALL of these Liberal principles, and who think that SOMEHOW these principle are concordant with what it means to be an Orthodox Christian. In light of all the Church Fathers, both new and old, in light of the Bible, in light of Christ, they can somehow think that these ideas are compatible with an Orthodox Ethos.

And my problem is I see very few priests who address this problem, which is a problem in my opinion.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,023,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Sorry for my huge, rambling, but this is what I posted.

And my problem is I see very few priests who address this problem, which is a problem in my opinion.
And perhaps this is a difference in our experience then. We have very strong “Orthodox” presence in our area, and all the priests I know have addressed issues like this.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,023,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Another difference is that most Orthodox I know in our area are practicing Orthodox. Perhaps that also makes a difference. I strongly disagree with the moral apostasy part though. If someone teaches that type of thing...they aren’t teaching Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,023,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How can one be Orthodox and Democrat? That's a question I've wondered about myself, but I didn't have the nerve to ask. :)
Personally, I’m not a Democrat - though I’m not 100% Republican either.

I don’t really fit any party, though I’m registered Republican so that I can get a primary vote in.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟871,089.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I’m not a Democrat - though I’m not 100% Republican either.

I don’t really fit any party, though I’m registered Republican so that I can get a primary vote in.
A year or so ago, I came across one of those Pew polls, that claimed Eastern Orthodox (in America) identify socially/politically as conservative or liberal in approximately a 60/40 percent split, conservatives being the slight majority. Whatever, I dunno.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Orthodoxy is not a political movement. It really shouldn't align with a political party just for the sake of aligning with it.

Each issue needs to be considered on its own merit, regardless of which party embraces or opposes it. We should vote according to those ideals.

Our priest has discussed this with the parish at large. More than once. But he doesn't concern himself with persons or parties. Only issues. I think that's the right approach.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,023,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Orthodoxy is not a political movement. It really shouldn't align with a political party just for the sake of aligning with it.

Each issue needs to be considered on its own merit, regardless of which party embraces or opposes it. We should vote according to those ideals.

Our priest has discussed this with the parish at large. More than once. But he doesn't concern himself with persons or parties. Only issues. I think that's the right approach.
Agreed. We have beliefs on morality and theology, but not on specific political parties.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,023,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A year or so ago, I came across one of those Pew polls, that claimed Eastern Orthodox (in America) identify socially/politically as conservative or liberal in approximately a 60/40 percent split, conservatives being the slight majority. Whatever, I dunno.
What percentage of the participants are practicing Orthodox Christians?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,023,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Although socially political / conservative covers a variety of subjects - some issues which may be valid Orthodox wise, and some which are not - within both parties. It’d be better to poll on issues.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟871,089.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It didn't specify practicing or not. One reason I don't put much stock in polls.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is going to be a thread that, although it may transpire into vileness thrown from one person onto another, I still think is worth discussing, despite the people that may be enraged from this post.

I should also note that you ought to hear my perspective - that I come from a Roman Catholic background, not a traditional Roman Catholic background, but a conservative, Republican, JPII / Mother Teresa background. Thus, perhaps my upbringing has colored my eyes, and I will fully admit this.

I don't think that Orthodoxy is completely aligned with a specific political ideology that fits in the paradigm of the Party-System. For example, although there are some fundamental principles within Republicanism that align with Orthodoxy, I think that there are many principles which don't align with Orthodoxy - for example, anti-environmentalism, militarism, corporatism, etc.

However, I think that in Liberalism, while there are some principles that align with Orthodoxy (helping with homelessness, environmentalism) - there are so many principles which go against the goals of Orthodoxy in its ethos, that I personally feel baffled that one could be a committed Democrat but still claim to uphold Orthodox values.

These principles includes doctrinal acceptance of the LGBTQ movement, and a societal reformation of all aspects of life into acceptance of such sinful lifestyles as normative, abortion and the public, tax-dollars funding thereof (as well as the normalization of a culture which doesn't recognize life at conception), prostitution and inappropriate contentography as legitimate industries, the normalization of illicit drugs, the elimination of discourse in the name of emotion, euthanasia, elimination of traditional moral and religious opinions and thought in Academia, the push for contraception, the elimination of God from the state, the elimination of patriotism, the elimination of nationality as a social construct, the elimination of gender as a social construct, the elimination of a right to privacy, the elimination of "toxic" masculinity, the equivocation of male and female gender roles in society, the elimination of Christianity as having cultural significance in the United States, elimination of the family from education and to the state,

and in more recent times, the tide seems to be shifting where the Democratic Party has embraced morally wrong ideas that were once normative for the Republicans. This includes a more imperialistic role for the United States, such as supporting the Western Ukrainians and funding Islamic Rebels in the name of forcing "Democracy" on people, some of who don't want "liberal values" but rather view religious morality as more important; stopping the "Evil Empire" of Putin's "Revitalized Soviet Union," and Democrats today also seem to support to a greater extent the concept of "free trade," viewing what Trump is doing with China, a country which continually abuses human rights in its working conditions, as something that is "economically catastrophic."

And I wonder - of course I'm making judgments on them, as Paul did to the Judaizers - how can you go to the Chalice, fasting and preparing for the Eucharist, for the literal Body and Blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, holding morally lawless political beliefs in your heart, viewing that idol as somehow superior to God and the Church?

2. There is a significant portion of "cradle Orthodox" who are outside the Church and outside of Salvation, but still feel like Orthodoxy is "technically a part of their identity" because "ZOMG I'm Greek! I gotta watch 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding!'", despite the fact they don't even believe in God or Christ. Their real intentions, however, are to change Church dogma to conform to their materialistic and godless worldview.

Why hasn't the Church done a better job at educating people, and why hasn't the Orthodox Church done a better job at excommunicating heretics?

I fear that, considering how evil and toxic are culture has become (at least when contrasted with previous norms in terms of Christianity and it's affiliation in the United States), and how influential the United States and Western Europe in terms of international geopolitics is, that something similar that happened to Roman Catholicism will happen to Orthodoxy, where most of the Church (with the exception of maybe Russia and some Eastern European countries aligned with Russia) will fall into moral apostasy, and lead to a schism of major proportions on the basis of this morality (if it doesn't happen after a schism over Ukraine).

I don't know if there is a short answer to your dilemma. I am registered to vote as No Party Affiliation, but I regularly vote Republican.

If you create a list of issues only and assigned those issues to candidates of either party I've found that Republican candidates are more in line with Orthodoxy. Certainly not perfectly, but moreso than Democrats.

I sympathize with the poor, but our poor are encouraged to be obese and immoral. I once heard Barack Obama use the example of "the single mother with two kids who's working and doing everything right". That begs the question, "what is right"?

The children she has likely have two different fathers she's never been married to, yet our president holds that up as "right". That is anything but Orthodox.

As long as Democrats hold to the issues of abortion, homosexuality as a norm, and encouraging other peoples daughters to become prostitutes, I will continue to hold my nose and vote Republican.

• Agree
Reactions: TheLostCoin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's about the same boat I'm in. I agree that we need to care for the poor. But I can't in conscience support abortion as an even bigger issue, especially when the caring for the poor isn't done in constructive ways.

I tend to cast my votes mostly against a candidate that more deeply opposes my values, rather than having anyone available who actually represents what I do believe in. So essentially I'm always voting "the lesser of two evils" when it comes to candidates.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟635,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
First, I am not nor have I ever been a democrat. I have never voted for a democrat for President in a general election. I have voted for democrats in more local races.
My political views align more closely with the American Solidarity Party. However I was a registered Republican when I lived in another state, we do not declare party affiliations in Tennessee.

I am not a single issue voter. I consider myself thoroughly pro-life, which for me includes the issues of abortion, capital punishment and euthanasia, but also overlaps into issues of poverty, health care, war, guns, immigration, and protection of minorities. I try to look at every issue through the lens of life being sacred, all of it.

The most effective way to lower the number of abortions in this country would be for those claiming to be Christian to stop having them. (link)

The passage of time has shown, repeatedly, that 'supply-side', trickle-down, horse and sparrow economics of Milton Friedman has been instrumental in destroying the middle class in the US and is major contributor to the growing income inequality. Both major parties have embraced these terrible policies, the GOP since Reagan, Dem's since Clinton.

I oppose the GOPs warmongering and corporatism. I could not and can not support the antics, lack of character, nor the known unethical business practices of the current president.
I voted third party the last election, and in the last three presidential elections.

The longer I live the more I'm convinced that I should be more apolitical, ymmv.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Go with the first conclusion.

Upvote 0